The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2023, 06:08 AM

Default JP Cormier Demos Graph Tech/K&K Pickup

https://youtu.be/4anQI1mVGvM?si=dkUeDKFH2KeVeQC4

K&K advocate JP Cormier flips over this Emerald guitar with a hybrid Graph Tech/K&K pickup system. The amplified demo starts around 17 minutes, but the room mics are undoubtedly picking up some live guitar.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Watched the entire video. I think JP likes the X20! lol He was like a kid at Christmas finding his desired gift under the tree.
Old 11-29-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangersfaces View Post
Watched the entire video. I think JP likes the X20! lol He was like a kid at Christmas finding his desired gift under the tree.
I watched the whole thing also, as JP is pretty entertaining. The beginning of the video, where he sticks his tongue out like a petulant kid, actually caused me to laugh out loud.

I’ve watched quite a few of his videos, so I was pretty surprised to find that he likes this blended Graph Tech/K&K system better than the Pure Mini by itself. (The Pure Mini has long been JP’s pickup of choice.) A 50/50 blend of this system is bound to be less feedback prone than the Pure Mini, so this system will provide the best of both worlds for JP. Beyond that, you’d have the option of going full Graph Tech Ghost if you need to be crazy loud.

I briefly owned a Ghost equipped 9lb Les Paul style hybrid guitar back in the 2000s. The Ghost system worked pretty well, but as hybrid guitars go I preferred Rick Turner’s Renaissance RS6 and Dave Wendler’s electroCoustic.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
I watched the whole thing also, as JP is pretty entertaining. The beginning of the video, where he sticks his tongue out like a petulant kid, actually caused me to laugh out loud.
Heh heh. That's about where I started to think about turning it off. I bailed when he started to thank YouTube. Enough, already!

I like concise video reviews.
Old 11-29-2023, 11:24 AM

If you go to the Emerald website and listen to the pickup, it's not all that impressive. I am actually surprised JP likes it as he tends to hate UST systems, which this dual source sounds a lot like. As for the guitar, it doesn't do anything for me. I find the high end still sounds artificial. It's a lot to pay just to have a guitar that is "Indestructible".
Old 11-29-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
If you go to the Emerald website and listen to the pickup, it's not all that impressive. I am actually surprised JP likes it as he tends to hate UST systems, which this dual source sounds a lot like. As for the guitar, it doesn't do anything for me. I find the high end still sounds artificial. It's a lot to pay just to have a guitar that is "Indestructible".
I found some pickup sound samples for the X20 on the Emerald site, but there’s no indication of what pickup is in the guitar, or how it was recorded (direct or off a miked speaker). Sounds like a UST to me.

If there are ANY samples of the Graph Tech/K&K system on the Emerald site, I’d appreciate any advice on how to find them.
Old 11-29-2023, 03:00 PM

Just found another thread on this Ghost/K&K system. I’ll try to bring it back around.

The name of the thread is “Ghost Piezo With K&K Contact Pickup”. I tried twice to bring it up again, with no immediate results. Maybe there’s supposed to be a time lag. I don’t know.

Last edited by guitaniac; 11-29-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 04:20 PM

https://youtu.be/w3fcGVv7BA8?si=XkjWD-d2QXPgdFnM

Here’s another recent video from AGF’s own Gary Roberts. Gary is using a 70/30 Ghost/Pure Mini Blend and some ambient effects. No talking.

I can’t seem to bring the old thread on the Graph Tech/K&K system up, but I’ll give you the long story short. The one poster who actually has the system in his guitar loves it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification