The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2023, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDW View Post
Hi all,

Reviving this thread as I'm in the market for an affordable amp having recently purchased a Taylor 614CE. I've never used an amp before and never intended to, but I want to make use of the built in system on the 614 with something I can enjoy in my office.

No gigging or anything bigger that a 20ft room, I was originally drawn to the Fender acoustasonic amp but reading on here suggests there are better options. Im interested in the mention of speaks above, but stupid question, what's the difference between the dedicated speaker and the amp?

Here are the choices mentioned so far:

Bugera AC60
Ultrasound AG30 or AG50 (but older models)
Fishman loud box mini
Bose s1 pro
Cube St 2
Yamaha THR boss or spark
Fender acoustasonic (40 I'm assuming)
QSC CP8
Yamaha DBR10
Boss acoustic singer live

Can I ask all you experts who know far more than me - looking at the list again, which are your top 2 or 3 picks? I'll look out for all of them, but hoping for a shortlist.
Well for your needs, 20 ft room, no gigging, you can eliminate the CP8 and DBR10, those are overkill.
Soundwise, I've owned (and gigged) the Bose and Fishman(Artist) and I prefer the Bose, though the Fishman is a fine amp.
I've read good things about the Ultrasound amps and Bugera.

One thing to consider with a small amp/speaker, ie Spark or Yamaha Thr, the actual acoustic volume might overwhelm the amp sound, and/or the smaller speaker might make your acoustic sound worse than it does unamplified.
If you can afford it, the Bose S1 is my choice.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-02-2023, 01:03 AM

Thanks all, it's helpful to have these extra insights as I honestly wouldn't know where to start. The loudbox mini and Bose are both on my shortlist, so thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification