The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2023, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Need suggestions for a mini amp

I haven't played anything electronic since I was 17, and that was a looooong time ago. So I'm clueless about amps. What I'm looking for is a small amp, 3 - 5 Watts, for a recently acquired Eastman E1OMCE-SP. I'll be using it for personal entertainment, maybe with a group of friends, but no public performances. Spent most of my "music budget" on guitars so the funds for an amp are limited. As in < $250. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
I haven't played anything electronic since I was 17, and that was a looooong time ago. So I'm clueless about amps. What I'm looking for is a small amp, 3 - 5 Watts, for a recently acquired Eastman E1OMCE-SP. I'll be using it for personal entertainment, maybe with a group of friends, but no public performances. Spent most of my "music budget" on guitars so the funds for an amp are limited. As in < $250. Any suggestions? Thanks.
A bit more, but go try out a Cube Street 2. If you're sitting around your house the true stereo reverb and chorus out of the twin 6" drivers really make a plugged in acoustic sound good.
Old 10-15-2023, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
A bit more, but go try out a Cube Street 2. If you're sitting around your house the true stereo reverb and chorus out of the twin 6" drivers really make a plugged in acoustic sound good.
Looks nice and I'll bet it sounds wonderful, but a too much $$. Just looking for something that'll reproduce the guitar's tone reasonably faithfully. The reviews I found seemed to indicate it was lacking in that area.

Last edited by redcrow; 10-15-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2023, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Maybe a used original S1 Pro...
Old 10-15-2023, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Maybe a used original S1 Pro...
+1 for this ^^^^ My S1 produces the easiest and most accurate guitar tone of any of the way too many PA options I own.
Old 10-15-2023, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but even used, the Bose S1 is well out of my budget comfort zone.
Old 10-15-2023, 02:25 PM

A used Fishman Loudbox mini is the ticket.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-15-2023, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

No offense, but let me remind y'all that I'm a bit tight on disposable income these days. $250 is an absolute MAX. My real comfort zone lies between $100 (anything cheaper is most likely junk) and $200 (anything over that is probably over-kill for my application). I saw a Fender Frontman 20G for ~$100 and a Marshall MG10 10 watt. Both appear to be capable, but I've no idea what either sounds like.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:33 PM

A used Ultrasound AG30 or AG50 are superb. I've used the AG30 for small coffee house / cafe solo guitar gigs and it was plenty.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Can understand you have a budget. You can try the Fender Frontman or the Marshall, but your acoustic will sound thin and more electric. They can be ok if you just want to amplify, but they will not come close to "reproduce the guitar's tone reasonably faithfully". They're just not made for acoustic tone.

Someone mentioned a Fishman Loudbox Mini, you might be able to get that used for $200.

Also if you can find one of these used, it should be under $200. Good luck!
https://www.amazon.com/Bugera-AC60-B...14917106&psc=1

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-15-2023, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Can understand you have a budget. You can try the Fender Frontman or the Marshall, but your acoustic will sound thin and more electric. They can be ok if you just want to amplify, but they will not come close to "reproduce the guitar's tone reasonably faithfully". They're just not made for acoustic tone.

Someone mentioned a Fishman Loudbox Mini, you might be able to get that used for $200.

Also if you can find one of these used, it should be under $200. Good luck!
https://www.amazon.com/Bugera-AC60-B...14917106&psc=1
Yeah, I was afraid I might be looking at options I wouldn't be happy with in the long run. Thank y'all for the reality check.

The good news is I was able locate a used Ultrasound AG30 as suggested above for right at $200. Looks to be in pretty good shape as well. It's at Reverb so I'll investigate further, but it looks to be perfect for me.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:52 PM

Maybe the Yamaha THR, Boss or Spark mini amps. They have lots of features for acoustic “bedroom” amp and recording needs.
Old 10-15-2023, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Unless the need for an acoustic guitar amp is URGENT, I would suggest you buy NOTHING right now... save up a bit of dough until you have a bit more latitude on what is available at your price point.

The problem is, a cheap acoustic guitar amp is going to sound exactly like that - a cheap amp. Where one can get distortion and other effects that can make an electric guitar amp serviceable at lower price points, with acoustic amps you really want to get something a bit nicer than $250 would buy...

You might could pick up a used Loudbox Mini for that price - I think there's one in our classifieds right now for less than $200? - and that would do the trick for you. The Fender Acoustasonic line has some decent lower cost amps, as well... especially if you are buying used. Just be sure the thing is clean and everything works as it should.

I'm assuming you already have a pickup in your guitar that sounds good, yes?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-15-2023, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcrow View Post
Yeah, I was afraid I might be looking at options I wouldn't be happy with in the long run. Thank y'all for the reality check.

The good news is I was able locate a used Ultrasound AG30 as suggested above for right at $200. Looks to be in pretty good shape as well. It's at Reverb so I'll investigate further, but it looks to be perfect for me.
That's a good find, a very nice sounding acoustic amp. Hope it works out for you!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-15-2023, 05:22 PM

Check out Guitar Center for used Ultrasound amps. They got some under your threshold but shipping could bring it up. They got a good return policy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification