The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

I put a James May Ultratonic classical in a guitalele, I have an HFN in my carbon emerald x7 and I have a Fishman Aura in my folding travel classical.

Of them the Ultratonic is my favorite. The Schatten would be good if it had better levels but even with their active preamp set on near highest gain the levels are still lower than the passive Ultratonic. The Ultratonic has similarities to K&K but with the ability to tune the bass response and remove the boominess.

The Fishman has a lot of tonal variety and works well for my application but I'm not a huge fan of undersaddle setups in general.

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-22-2023 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschultz View Post
I know a lot about steel string guitar pickups, but not much about classical. A friend of mine wants me to install one in his classical. I’m looking for something simple to use (no EQ needed), and not expensive (<$100?) and feedback resistant. I think probably an active UST, but I’m not sure. I just know this guy is not tech savvy and anything beyond a volume control will be too much.

Suggestions?
This is about the shortcomings of pickups for acoustic stringed instruments. Apologies if this is too much of a non-sequitur.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ualm3rCZRz0

Old 12-04-2023, 07:24 PM

The Baggs Lyric for classical guitar has worked well for me, especially when using a Baggs Para DI.
'02 Taylor NS74
'13 Taylor GS8 12 string
'03 Martin 00-15

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification