The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2023, 07:53 PM

Default Using equalizer for acoustic amplification?

Does anyone use an equalizer to shape their acoustic guitar sound? I'm using a mixer to mic the guitar which is fed into a power amp. there is an basic equalizer on the mixer but I have a dedicated equalizer with much more range that I can use. Is there some general guidelines on what to set the range for to get the desired sound?
Old 12-01-2023, 08:31 PM

Thumbs down

My large pedalboard, which I mostly use for electric guitar, has a good (silver) MXR 10 band eq. For my acoustic guitars, I start off with everything set flat and tweak from there. I prefer my guitar to be a tad bass heavy so I'll bump the 62.5 and 100 bands. I play mostly Yamaha guitars which tend to sound bright so I roll off the 2 upper bands a bit. For my rosewood guitars I'll do a little mid boost.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:30 AM

Thanks YamahaGuy, that's a good starting point for me, I see 9 bands on mine and will try to run it through the EQ. I have a recent interest in picking up an FG nippon gakki red label but haven't foudn one cheap enough. I'm also looking for the DW15 which was suppose to be all solid wood from the early 2000's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
My large pedalboard, which I mostly use for electric guitar, has a good (silver) MXR 10 band eq. For my acoustic guitars, I start off with everything set flat and tweak from there. I prefer my guitar to be a tad bass heavy so I'll bump the 62.5 and 100 bands. I play mostly Yamaha guitars which tend to sound bright so I roll off the 2 upper bands a bit. For my rosewood guitars I'll do a little mid boost.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:55 AM

Low cut at 90-100Hz, immediate bass reduction of 3db+ or notch after the bass cut. The others are up to taste. Mine personally benefits from a 3db boost at ~4kHz because I frequently use old strings. Also give is a slight mids dip because I sing and don't want the guitar competing for those frequencies.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeissplanar View Post
Does anyone use an equalizer to shape their acoustic guitar sound? I'm using a mixer to mic the guitar which is fed into a power amp. there is an basic equalizer on the mixer but I have a dedicated equalizer with much more range that I can use. Is there some general guidelines on what to set the range for to get the desired sound?
Acoustic pickup systems vary wildly, huge swath between x, y, and z brands as well as how they have been installed, so generalizations are tough here. That said, I still say yes, there are a few "go-to" EQ settings I do when putting an acoustic through a PA. Typically:

Bass: 100hz is good for solid bottom and percussive feel, but below 100 I've found can add more "boom" and muck than quality bass for an acoustic guit. Consider cutting below 100 and see what you hear.

Midbass: acoustic pup systems' Achilles heel, murky flubby bottom end that blurs the bass tones and muddies up the guitar's voice. Cut in the 350-500hz region. Yeah, that's a wide swath because it varies with each guit/pup system, but as a "general" point, this is an offending "band" that some judicious cutting here will yield dividends in clarity and focus by cutting the mud.

Honky mids: with some pup systems I've found that cutting around 900hz takes out that middy honk. Careful here as too much attenuation and the guit can start sounding too scooped.

Defined mids: some very mild boost in 2-3k "can" add definition and "outline" to notes. That said, with some pups attenuating here can diminish the metallic "electric-guit" tone. Mids are really important as that's what we "hear first" as in perceive as the voice. So play with this region and see what your ears and guitar responds to.

Highs: 4k and north is crisp and defined or ice-pick and grating. Again, highly pup dependant, but a mild boost here typically offers sparkle and "air," but can easily step over into shrill.

All very generalized, but ime how I approach acoustic guits through an EQ, whether graphic, parametric, or a channel strip. Hope that helps a bit

Edward
Old 12-02-2023, 11:52 AM

I have a few acoustic pedal boards one has a Grace Felix (one band full parametric mid EQ with highpass filter for the bottom end), one has a Grace Alix (same as the Felix), and the other has an Empress Para EQ+ (3 band full parametric EQ with High and low pass filters). So yes, I use EQs on every board

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification