The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-03-2024, 10:27 PM

Default Field recording?

I’d like a field mic/recorder to record a guitar and vocals with one input jack for the pickup. There maybe two of us, so possibly two inputs. I’ll eventually send it to a daw to clean it up. Do I want a field recorder or a or wireless audio mic that pairs with a iPhone?

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-04-2024 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-04-2024, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I’d like to record a guitar’s voice and its input jack. Maybe two of us. I’ll eventually send it to a daw. Do I want a field recorder or a or wireless audio mic that pairs with a iPhone.
Dave not quite clear:

Are you saying you wish to record an instrumental of guitar/s and use both a mic and the guitars pickup simultaneously ?

And you may be doing this for up to two performers ?

If so then you need a recording device with 4 inputs ?

Also what king of budget range ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-04-2024, 07:31 AM

Default Field recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Dave not quite clear:

Are you saying you wish to record an instrumental of guitar/s and use both a mic and the guitars pickup simultaneously ?

And you may be doing this for up to two performers ?

If so then you need a recording device with 4 inputs ?

Also what king of budget range ?

Kev, yes. Sorry for the confusion. Looking for a field recorder with built in mics and 1/4” inputs for two guitars max.

Folks seem to be using Audigo with the iPhone but I’m not sure that’s for me. Seems like a lot of latency to avoid some cables.

I would think $500 budget and compact size portability is very important. I need to travel with it.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:46 AM

For me, it really depends on the quality you are looking for. I would pay an audio tech $500 to record my session and have it done by someone who can do it right. The equipment they will use will be far better than what you could purchase for many times your possible budget and the expertise they will bring will be priceless.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
For me, it really depends on the quality you are looking for. I would pay an audio tech $500 to record my session and have it done by someone who can do it right. The equipment they will use will be far better than what you could purchase for many times your possible budget and the expertise they will bring will be priceless.
I am also working with a producer who's recording my stuff in a studio. I am looking for a field recorder to take with me on trips to capture fast ideas that I can access easily. Hotel rooms, hospital rooms, family reunions, that kind of thing.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:23 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Look at what Zoom offers in the way of field recorders.

Zoom recorders

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-04-2024, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I am also working with a producer who's recording my stuff in a studio. I am looking for a field recorder to take with me on trips to capture fast ideas that I can access easily. Hotel rooms, hospital rooms, family reunions, that kind of thing.
That seems to be at odds with your original post asking about a recorder with up to 4 dedicated channels.

If you're looking for something to capture fast ideas than the smartphone with the Open Camera app installed, or even the video camera pre-loaded on the phone should take care of that without needing to use anything else.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:03 AM

Sorry folks, I edited the first post. I started the thread after chemo yesterday and I think I wasn't clear headed enough. I want to get some field recordings of myself and family that are at least two tracks (built in mic for vocals and guitar and the input for my K&K), but up to 2 inputs when I play with someone else. These folks live far away from the studio I have been going to. I have an old zoom 1 mic, but it has no inputs, the USB is outdated and I have no computer with SD card. So, maybe it's time to upgrade.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Sorry folks, I edited the first post. I started the thread after chemo yesterday and I think I wasn't clear headed enough. I want to get some field recordings of myself and family that are at least two tracks (built in mic for vocals and guitar and the input for my K&K), but up to 2 inputs when I play with someone else. These folks live far away from the studio I have been going to. I have an old zoom 1 mic, but it has no inputs, the USB is outdated and I have no computer with SD card. So, maybe it's time to upgrade.
It sounds like the Zoom R4 is exactly what you're looking for.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
It sounds like the Zoom R4 is exactly what you're looking for.
You beat me to it! Sounds like a perfect fit, if I understand correctly.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-04-2024, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

If you want a field recorder, then Zoom’s F-series is where I’d look. The H series can work as well, but the preamps are not quite as clean or have as much gain, but if you’re not on a quiet movie soundstage, the difference will likely be inaudible.

The only thing you won’t get with those is an instrument level input, as the 1/4” will likely assume line level. (I have not checked latest offerings to see if they’ve made that switchable, though.) so, a DI would let you run your guitar out to an XLR input.

I’d probably start by looking at the Zoom F3 and see if it will fit your requirements. Or the H4n or H6. I used the original H6 for some years, then an F8 and F8n, the last one I still have and use at home. When I recorded live stuff with plugged in guitars I just used a passive DI on most guitars or occasionally an active Fire Eye product if it was a K&K.
Old 04-04-2024, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Aha. Well then I too would look to one of the Zoom units that has the features you want. I've got one for quick notes if I'm in the studio but, as someone said, I use my iPad or iPhone for a get it down quickly because it also has video and that records any noodling or fills I improvise on the spot and can't remember later.
Old 04-04-2024, 09:22 PM

Thank you all! I appreciate the help. I believe I am misusing the term “field” recorder. But a zoom recorder is what I’m looking for.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Just a follow-up because I'm such a fan of the Zoom recorders. My first one was the H2, where I was a fairly early adopter. What a great piece of gear, and mine was still working fine when I gave it to a friend a few years back. Here's a just-released recording by a young duo that uses one of those. You don't need much gear when you've got the goods....

https://youtu.be/MvSbzwEDQwM?si=4jySnk4IRRT5f1O0
Old 04-06-2024, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
Just a follow-up because I'm such a fan of the Zoom recorders. My first one was the H2, where I was a fairly early adopter. What a great piece of gear, and mine was still working fine when I gave it to a friend a few years back. Here's a just-released recording by a young duo that uses one of those. You don't need much gear when you've got the goods....

https://youtu.be/MvSbzwEDQwM?si=4jySnk4IRRT5f1O0

Josh Turner, the young musician in the video, is my secret inspiration for this thread. I didn’t want to compare myself to their level of talent, so I dint mention them. However, now that you did, I’m in the clear. This is the scenario I envisioned with my family and fellow musicians. Sitting around the recorder and plugging in one or another instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD