The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 AM
do what huh?

Default "The Guitar" Guy Clark/Verlon Thompson

I've kept this song in my playlist since I first heard it on an American Songwriter promo CD. Anyone know where I can find tabs for the lead (Verlon's) parts?
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Marlboro spruce/eirw dread
Wrongbox Cigar Box Lap Steel
Old 02-02-2010, 08:54 AM
do what huh?

No one knows? Does anyone perhaps know how to play the lead, and could do a youtube vid or something for me?
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 PM

I posted a link to the YouTube video of Verlon doing this song some time ago. Here it is.

Great song, great performance, hope this helps you master the song. It's an easy four chord progression (Am, Fmaj7, G, E, as I recall), but his incredible picking, leads and fills make the song.

If you like that, check out Verlon's Caddo County vid. I have the words and chords to the song here.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I posted a link to the YouTube video of Verlon doing this song some time ago. Here it is.
...[/URL].
When you originally posted that video it changed my idea of what I should be shooting for in my YouTube clips. Not that I've come within miles of it. Thanks for posting it.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM
do what huh?

Oh, I've got the lyrics/chords down no prob. I was looking for the lead, if anyone knows. But yeah, I love that vid of Verlon. One take, an old Guild...can't get any better than that.
G&L ASAT Classic
Fender Am Std Telecaster
Old 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordid Tales View Post
an old Guild...can't get any better than that.
Actually he's playing a new D50, only reason I know is 'cause I bought that guitar a year ago and looked at a lot of old and new Guilds D40s and D50s before I bought a new Tacoma-built. Now if I could just get my D50 to sound like him....

Old 02-02-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
When you originally posted that video it changed my idea of what I should be shooting for in my YouTube clips. Not that I've come within miles of it. Thanks for posting it.

Fran
I looked at a few of your vids, quite good, thoroughly enjoyed them, plus the little tid bits on how you recorded them.

Though Verlon's vid says it was recorded in one take, I'm sure we're talking about professional camera, photographer and audio equipment. you can tell the audio has been professionally mixed and mastered with judicious compression, and EQ (and who knows what else). That said, your stuff sounds very good. I'm with you, it always helps to set the bar higher and strive for that "better" sound.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:07 AM

Done in one take that vid took at least three, maybe four cameras, a ton of lighting, plus lots of talent on both sides of all the equipment.

But aside from the technical quality I was impressed with the concept. It's easy to say that we should find a location with a unique vantage point and a strong visual statement - but that room and they way they used it is, to my mind, a wonderful demonstration. The room simply makes the shot. Then the cutting kicks the emotional impact up to the max.

Also, with all the cost and effort that went into that video, it's sort of on the edge of what might be possible for us amateurs. I mean, no line of dancers, no explosions, no animation, no sound stage, just light it, play it, shoot it, and cut it. We can do that, right? <grin>

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write