The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 AM

Default FS: 2009 Martin D-35S Custom with 1 7/8 Nut

I am selling my 2009 Martin D-35S Custom. While it has many of the standard details of the factory D-35S, it also has a 1 7/8 nut, Waverly Nickel tuners, a gloss neck, round slots, diamond headstock. It retailed for $4819.50 from Martin per the order, and was purchased from MFG in Naples at Jon's great discount.

I am asking $2400 (plus shipping and insurance - since I don't know where you are, no charge if local in Maryland) with a new case as it has lived in an Accord case for the last 3 years and the original case is long gone (if you want the Accord case with it, I will throw it in for an extra $1000 ). Pictures are below and I have others (and can take others if you are seriously interested) if you need them.

This guitar has been babied and not played all that much (maybe a few dozen hours over the last 3 years).

Please ask any questions that you can think of and thanks for looking.

Last edited by tmanson; 06-07-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

My first "real" guitar was a 1976 D35S. Yours brings back a lot of great memories. A couple of questions--I assume the top is sitka? Could you describe the neck profile? And, since it was custom, were there any upgrades--bone saddle, nut, etc. Also, is there a clear pickguard, or no pickguard? Last one--what is the scale?

You have a real beauty there.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

Oh my. That is gorgeous. And SO tempting...esp. with the wider nut and...and...*gulp*

OK, have to go now. Really. If I weren't making myself segue into smaller guitar bodies, I would pursue this one fast and hard. I have to think it won't be available long.

(Have any sound clips, just so I can beat myself up more?)

Best of luck with your sale.

Dirk
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 AM

that....is cool.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
My first "real" guitar was a 1976 D35S. Yours brings back a lot of great memories. A couple of questions--I assume the top is sitka? Could you describe the neck profile? And, since it was custom, were there any upgrades--bone saddle, nut, etc. Also, is there a clear pickguard, or no pickguard? Last one--what is the scale?

You have a real beauty there.
Transylvania, Thanks, I wish I could afford to keep her (from both a space and finance perspective). As I recall the specs, the neck is a "low profile." I don't have the order/build sheet in front of me and haven't memorized all the details. I'm pretty sure the scale is the standard one (long) for the D-35S and specifically that would be 25.4 (short is 24.9 right?). The black pickguard that it came with (standard) was removed before a shadow could form. Yes, the top is sitka spruce. And I do recall that all the "white parts" (nut and saddle) are bone, but won't swear to that without going back and looking at the build sheet.

Oh and I almost forgot, one of the custom upgrades that I had done was a gloss neck.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Oh my. That is gorgeous. And SO tempting...esp. with the wider nut and...and...*gulp*

(Have any sound clips, just so I can beat myself up more?)

Best of luck with your sale.

Dirk
Thanks Dirk, and no I don't have any sound clips of this one, but thanks for the idea.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM

That is a beautiful guitar. Having acquired my 000 17s from Tom a fews yeRs back and having played with him at Agf gatherings and at his house, I can vouch for him, his guitars, and the care and feeding they receive. Someone is going to be very, very happy with this guitar and their interaction with Tom. I am going to miss the opportunities to play what he is selling off.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 05-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

What kind of case is included with this lovely instrument?
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
What kind of case is included with this lovely instrument?
The standard Martin 5-ply Geib 540 with Cabernet interior (brand new - since I didn't think it would sell with the Accord). Or, as I thought I mentioned in the ad, if you want the Accord case it has lived in for a few years, I'll through that in for an even $1K more.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM

Bumping for exposure...

Last edited by tmanson; 06-05-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:33 PM
The Plucky Comic Relief

This beautiful Martin deserves to be on page one. Somebody hurry up & buy it or I might have to!

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
- Robert McCloskey
Old 06-05-2012, 04:20 AM

Nuther Bump...
Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

Tom

very nice guitar, the first of these i've seen. if i had not just taken delivery of a new open back OME i might very well be the new owner of this.

what is the saddle string spacing on this unique instrument?
(i might need to take a loan out)

thanks
d

and if my friend in NC ends up with this, i most definitely need to do a drive and play this.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:02 AM

D,
The string spacing at the nut is 1 7/8 and at the saddle is 2 3/8 - nice and wide. It works very well for me (with big wide hands). It's not your typical beginner guitar (not that you're a beginner by any means) regardless how much moola you might have. I've strung it fairly lightly to keep the hand stress down, but string it heavy and it is a monster of a projector.

I'm not an instrument designer by a long shot, but it is my understanding that the three-piece back provides more projection because it is slightly stiffer than a typical two-piece back. Granted, the design was not created for this by Martin (my understanding is that the 3-piece back made more backs available from a limited supply of rosewood back in the day), but it does not surprise me that Matthews and Reynolds used these (D-35s) in the Live at Radio City a few years ago.

Thanks for asking,
Old 06-06-2012, 07:54 AM

I'm interested, but in this price range I strongly prefer to play an instrument first. There are too many "taste" factors involved.

Too bad I'm out in California.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars