The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-26-2015, 07:06 AM

Default Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson fired by the BBC

My favorite Television program is Top Gear, available across the pond on BBC America. 3 hours/3 episodes are typically broadcast on Monday nights. The program has been produced for over 20 years and it is a unique look at all things automotive.

Here is a link to my favorite episode; Caravanning. http://www.bbcamerica.com/top-gear/v...s-caravanning/

Here is a shot of the three principals. James May, Richard Hammond and Jeremy Clarkson.

Here is the BBC news release.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32052736

And here is a TV clip of a quick interview with James May who is one of the cast of three on the show.

If the show is disbanded and started with a fresh cast what will happen to THE STIG?

Who else would take these three cars; a 70's Mustang, a Porsche 928GT and a Lotus Esprit and drive the back roads of Patagonia?

1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)

Last edited by mdunn; 03-26-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 03-26-2015, 07:18 AM

Top Gear is one of my favorite shows too. I think the chemistry between the three is what makes the show work...that and everything sounds funnier with a British accent. I am also a bit of a car nut.

Apparently he had a physical altercation with the caterer on the set because he was upset about the food.

It isn't the first time he has been reprimanded by the BBC. He is very outspoken and said some insulting things in the past that got him in hot water.

I don't think they will be able to replace him since he is quite funny and part of his curmudgeonly charm was that he was so abrasive. Apparently it isn't an act.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:23 AM

Many times, it's the personality that makes a show a success. Other times, a replacement is easily found and success continues. There are quite a few shows I stopped watching once the original attraction left for various reasons.

H
Old 03-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I'm glad you guys got to hear about this.

In fact JC (coincidence) was a tad vexed that after a long days filming the hotel had no hot food. He verbally shared his disappointment with the producer, one Oisin Tymon who during the "discussion" sustained a bleeding lip.

Whilst I understand that the BBC cannot condone a physical altercation from anyone on their staff, great or small, they have allowed this matter to become world news and had only one option.

Yes Clarkson is a boorish, arrogant curmudgeon, but he has made Top Gear a golden Goose that the BBC has effectively killed.

The BBC is funded by Royal charter and so does not run adverts like commercial channels, but it can sell its excellent programmes world wide and Top Gear sells into most countries over the globe and makes millions - perhaps billions (can't find the figures right now).

The spin offs are also mind-numbingly impressive money makers, even the magazine has a circulation of 1.67 million.

I'm sorry for Tymon's cut lip, and for Clarkson's tired and silly outburst, but I think that the BBC should have taken immediate action to keep the whole silly matter under wraps and found a way to smooth it over.

It is likely that James (Captain Slow) May and Richard (The Hamster) Hammond may also leave.

Clarkson's career is not over - ther are plenty of commercial media organisations that would love to get him.

We, the viewers and the BBC bank account will suffer.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

It's nice to see an ***** pay for their bully tantrum. I hope it hurts when he falls off his wallet. I hate bullies. It's nice to see a business kick some the child out of him.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
It's nice to see an ***** pay for their bully tantrum. I hope it hurts when he falls off his wallet. I hate bullies. It's nice to see a business kick some the child out of him.
This won't hurt his wallet one bit.

I'm still happy he punched Piers Morgan.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:15 PM

I know there's old saying who everyone is replaceable, but I disagree in this case. Jeremy Clarkson is irreplaceable. It would be like kicking out Eric Clapton from Cream.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
This won't hurt his wallet one bit.

I'm still happy he punched Piers Morgan.
It may make him more desirable - sort of like Charlie Sheen ,

H

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic