The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Good thread - I had a similar experience recently and posted the following on a different site:

I was scheduled to perform a mini-set with a couple of friends at a local venue where several other performers would be doing the same. Our plan was to run through some Celtic material that we have been working on in preparation for another event. As it turned out, both of my other band-mates had to back out at the last minute (one got sick / the other, a family emergency). So instead of dropping out, I decided to be a good soldier, and play solo.

I couldn’t perform the material that we had prepared because it was heavily dependent on fiddle, whistle, and flute. So I decided to perform some of the more complex Celtic fingerstyle stuff that I've been working on myself for the last several months. It’s mostly solo guitar stuff which I've never performed before, but have been wanting to take out for a test drive. I realized that there were a few pieces that were not ready for prime time, but was willing to accept a couple of mistakes in order to gain valuable experience & feedback from performing the material; there were other pieces that I was very confident in.

I started with a Scottish Strathspey; the most difficult and least polished piece. In hindsight, this was a mistake. I got through it, but it was rough. I was glad to have it behind me. The second song was a beautiful Irish Aire that I played well until the end, which I completely tanked on. It was frustrating, because the end is relatively simple….I just blew it. Thankfully, the audience was supportive and forgiving.

The next piece was the only one that I sang, I’ve done it numerous times, and could play it in my sleep. Inexplicably, I lost it (big time) at multiple places. I don’t know what happened but I blanked-out on the accompaniment, and then became distracted and lost it again, and then once more. The continuity of the song was completely disrupted….grrrrr. I was ticked off.

At this point, I should have taken a deep breath, a sip of water, gathered my thoughts, and focused on the next piece. But I was flustered and quickly moved on (undaunted, our hero plunges blindly ahead). I got through the next few songs alright, then I ended with a set of three jigs, and started way too fast...they were a complete train wreck, all three of them. I felt terrible about the entire performance start to finish.

I’ve experienced train wrecks before, and am generally able to let them roll off my back and move on with the performance; but I have never experienced a succession of them like last night. There were several things that I could have and should have done differently – many of them I already knew, but since I was flustered I went against my better judgment.

Reflecting on the performance this morning, maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was last night. even if it was, I had fun and would do it all over again. A good night's sleep and a cocktail when I got home help me gain perspective. I know many people who are terrified of playing in front of an audience, fearful of public failure -I used to be one of them. But some wise person once said that you cannot experience heartbreak if you don’t open your heart to love. Likewise, you cannot experience a complete stage meltdown if you never set foot on stage – LOL. The great musical moments in my life outnumber the bad ones a thousand to one. If this is the worst thing to happen to me this week, I’ll consider myself fortunate. In the end, there is only one thing that can be done: learn from it and then....f'getaboutit!!! I woke up this morning, and viola (!!), the sun actually rose and it's a beautiful day in Kentucky:-))

I do however have some damage-control to do this weekend. First, the host of the event wants to post some of the performances on YouTube – so I’ll have to bribe someone to conveniently lose my portion of the show. Second, I brought two guitars with me last night, they are both very upset. I’ll have to treat them to new strings this weekend.

Peace,
-Tom
Tom, thanks for sharing that. That was very similar to my situation. Plow ahead instead of regrouping. Just went downhill from there!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
<snip>

Reflecting on the performance this morning, maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was last night. even if it was, I had fun and would do it all over again. A good night's sleep and a cocktail when I got home help me gain perspective. I know many people who are terrified of playing in front of an audience, fearful of public failure -I used to be one of them. But some wise person once said that you cannot experience heartbreak if you don’t open your heart to love. Likewise, you cannot experience a complete stage meltdown if you never set foot on stage – LOL. The great musical moments in my life outnumber the bad ones a thousand to one. If this is the worst thing to happen to me this week, I’ll consider myself fortunate. In the end, there is only one thing that can be done: learn from it and then....f'getaboutit!!! I woke up this morning, and viola (!!), the sun actually rose and it's a beautiful day in Kentucky:-))

<snip>
A good friend of mine always says: "Remember, they can't eat you and they can't take away your birthday."

The absurdity of that always makes me feel better.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
And I hope to get to the point where I don't annoy people but I am a beginner that got up there for the first time a few weeks ago and I made mistakes. You could argue that I shouldn't have been up there but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have learned. Besides, without me and a friend of mine each playing at our first open mic, it would have just been the host. No one else showed up.
Your experience is invaluable and you are almost certain to be pleased with the next appearance at that open mic.

Keep going back for the other reason to make new music friends that could provide some jamming opportunities. Nothing like some peer review to help advance your skills.

yours in tune!

amy

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-27-2015, 01:50 PM

I prefer to go it alone and do easy songs that I can play/sing well with feeling. Also, they are songs that I know inside out and backwards so that once I start it just follows through to the end. I have some complex flat picking breaks but again, I've played them over and over so much that even if I get it slightly different there's always somewhere that it'll go almost by itself and still sound right.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
It is my opinion that the open mic audience wants to hear and see something that sounds and looks good.

I personally don't want to watch papers being handled while playing, or confused looks on faces that lost their places on the page. It distracts me from the performance, and, it distracts the performer from his/her performance!

There's little that is so satisfying as hearing and watching someone produce a lovely arrangement of notes.

yours in tune!
The only times I’ll forgive an open-miker using papers (sheet music or lyrics) are when someone who doesn’t play and/or wants backing vocals (especially on an original) asks them while at the venue to accompany them; or if it’s an accomplished performer who’s a regular there debuting a newly written song if the open mic also is generally used by regulars for that purpose. I know a few open mikers (and emcees) who bring fake books if they expect to be pressed into service as a human karaoke machine (there are a few around here who actually make a living at that).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic