The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-30-2014, 08:08 PM

Default This year's flu shot and physical.

Today was a physical so I got a flu shot.

I don't recall feeling sore and rotten after a flu shot but have had a tough week and am running on 4:25 hours sleep. Anyone else really feel the shot this year or am I getting too old for the occasional 18 hour work day???

I know they are not always effective but I work around a lot of people, touch their keyboards, and lead kids in sports and there have been a lot of years when people around me had the flu and I didn't.

A recent cold-like bug hit our area bad and the fever time hit me hard and killed two work days so that was a reminder to get the flu shot.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I haven't gotten the shot yet this year, but I think it depends on how they give the shot. Two years ago, the guy who gave me the shot was very methodical and I didn't hardly feel it, nor was my arm sore afterwards. Last year, the guy slammed it in and my arm hurt for a couple days.

As a semi-retired boat captain, I still have to have regular physicals. I really hate it when the doctor (who is always younger than I am) says, "You are in decent shape... (pause)... for a man your age."

Whippersnappers!
Old 10-30-2014, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I haven't gotten the shot yet this year, but I think it depends on how they give the shot. Two years ago, the guy who gave me the shot was very methodical and I didn't hardly feel it, nor was my arm sore afterwards. Last year, the guy slammed it in and my arm hurt for a couple days.

As a semi-retired boat captain, I still have to have regular physicals. I really hate it when the doctor (who is always younger than I am) says, "You are in decent shape... (pause)... for a man your age."

Whippersnappers!

Funny because I'm not doing well with the sleep deprivation but the doc stressed I was in great shape for my age. Most of my sports friends kick my butt but most my age aren't doing the same sports.

They ask me to have a physical every year but that seems too much.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:42 PM
Humanist

Mine was fine.

Others here may be too worried about ebola to go out to get a flu shot.

(52,000 dead from the flu last year)

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-30-2014, 10:47 PM

Mine was fine this year too. About 5 years ago I got one and the next day I felt pretty bad. No fever, but sore and achy all over.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:14 AM

Some years I don't feel well for a couple of days afterward. I don't know if it's the shots fault but I tend to blame it anyway.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Mine was fine.

Others here may be too worried about ebola to go out to get a flu shot.

(52,000 dead from the flu last year)

A little more sleep made a big difference. Just a sore arm and generally clubbed feeling of a challenging week at this point.

You're probably right on worried because this simple scenario and my son breaking an arm last week created 3 clinic trips, and 1 to hospital to finally get the arm set. I overheard staff calming people, and the woman who offers the flu shot was very careful or defensive until my doc told her he's known me a long time and was sure I'd be going with the statistical averages.

There was a recent year when I had the twins in for their physical and we all got the shots. My wife forgot to do same for self and our daughter. They were nailed just terribly months later, same with people I work with. The boys and I escaped that misery.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yeah, last year's flu shot felt worse than this year's.

On the subject of sleep deprivation, how old are you? I worked on a crew of audio recording engineers that were all about the same age. One day we were all sitting around waiting for a meeting to start and the subject of double shifts and quick turn-arounds came up. We all kind of looked around at each other and admitted, "This lack of sleep is KILLING me!" We came to the conclusion that thirty-five years seems to be the "great meridian" after which long hours and/or short sleep begin to take a MUCH greater toll on people. We were great during college and the ten years afterwards but, ZAP! Year thirty-five.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-31-2014, 07:43 AM

I should probably get a flu shot. I've never had one.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:46 AM

I got mine a couple weeks ago with no ill effects. I appreciated the nurse's reminder to relax the muscle in my arm before the shot in order to alleviate soreness.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Yeah, last year's flu shot felt worse than this year's.

On the subject of sleep deprivation, how old are you? I worked on a crew of audio recording engineers that were all about the same age. One day we were all sitting around waiting for a meeting to start and the subject of double shifts and quick turn-arounds came up. We all kind of looked around at each other and admitted, "This lack of sleep is KILLING me!" We came to the conclusion that thirty-five years seems to be the "great meridian" after which long hours and/or short sleep begin to take a MUCH greater toll on people. We were great during college and the ten years afterwards but, ZAP! Year thirty-five.

Bob
I'm 55. Age, losing weight, and trying to keep physical activity have changed my tolerance for sleep and alcohol. Unfortunately I've got 55 years of never being a sound sleeper.

To be honest, I'm mostly fine with my lifestyle changes. One tasty local beer is plenty pleasure and trying to keep at outdoor sports seems as good for my mind as body.

I still have an arm more sore than I remember for recent years of flu shots, but think a tough week's making the rest feel hard.

Funny to think the 2nd decade of life would have Thur - Sat nights dedicated to social life, a few beers before we even walked down town, then getting up and going to work.

The doc may have said I'm really doing well for my age but I can't help but think of following my teen daughter up the stairs. She's all muscle, springs and grace. I spare telling her about your age 35 mark. Tomorrow's leading our ski club annual wood cutting day. I will not feel very young at 4 PM and probably a few hours prior.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:57 AM

I got my flu shot last week. This year I choose the high-dose flu shot. Been feeling OK except maybe a little more gassy than normal. But my wife says it's nothing unusual.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:48 PM

You worked 18 hours, got four and a quarter of sleep, and you think the flu shot made you feel like crap?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-31-2014, 01:25 PM

I’ve been getting flu inoculations for well-over a decade and have never felt any ill effects. Last year, I was vaccinated against the flu, tetanus and pneumonia on the same visit to the doctor and felt no different afterwards than I did before.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
You worked 18 hours, got four and a quarter of sleep, and you think the flu shot made you feel like crap?
It's mostly sore arm now but I don't recall that in past years. I'm somewhat used to little sleep because I have to do some of my work when most people are sleeping.

I should describe the week as more headache than anything else. A department director who demands elevated IT rights but should only have training wheels did something incredibly foolish and set off a week full of stress.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic