The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-17-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
I checked FedEx and UPS and according to those parameters... it would be between $640 and $870 to ship an Emerald Guitar back to Ireland (unless I am missing something.... that is not an option for me.

wow.
Dear Randy,

As I mentioned in our e-mail response to you, the cost with United States Postal Service (USPS) is around $90 USD and the parcel is usually back with us within a week, as some of the guys kindly confirmed from their experience. If you have any further questions that we can assist you with, you are welcome to contact us any time.

Kind Regards,

Sean
Old 11-17-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Dear Randy,

As I mentioned in our e-mail response to you, the cost with United States Postal Service (USPS) is around $90 USD and the parcel is usually back with us within a week, as some of the guys kindly confirmed from their experience. If you have any further questions that we can assist you with, you are welcome to contact us any time.

Kind Regards,

Sean
I didnt check USPS postal sevice... I was thinking UPS ... HUGE differennce in price!
Does that $90 include insurance? Or is that not necessary?
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 11-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I didnt check USPS postal sevice... I was thinking UPS ... HUGE differennce in price!
Does that $90 include insurance? Or is that not necessary?
I believe that adequate insurance with USPS can be an issue. If I recall correctly, there is a max. amount you can get which doesn’t cover the full value. So, there is some risk involved. Hopefully others will clarify.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:49 AM

I work in shipping and logistics for a living. USPS International insurance rates are $100 USD automatic coverage with zero extra charge. Additional insurance can be purchased for maximum coverage of $2499.00 USD for up to $24.00 USD of extra charge. Sounds to me like USPS is in the competition and will take great care to insure safe delivery of a return. Unless you're going with a custom Emerald, that price ought to cover most of their guitars.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 AM

I did not include insurance, but the max declared value the Post Office will cover internationally is $2500 IIRC. I declared that value to put it on the record, but declined the so-called "insurance". A whole separate topic, but the "insurance" that shippers sell is not insurance at all, and is largely useless in the event of a claim. They have about thirty excuses to evade paying, and you really have to fight with them to get anything. They sure do like collecting the premium, however.

My thought process was: a CF instrument well packed in a gig bag inside a box is very unlikely to be damaged by impacts or mishandling, except for the most extreme of events. Further, by going through Customs and shipping by Priority Mail, the shipment is thoroughly tracked and unlikely to get lost (the other major hazard). There were no issues getting Chimeara from and back to Ireland, or getting my new X20-12 from Ireland (it isn't going back).

Tracking with AnPost (the Irish post office) is fine, but tracking on the US side is marginal and lags severely. By the time USPS showed my X20-12 released from Customs in New York, it was here in Boise.

----------

I just looked at the Emerald web site out of curiosity. They don't have an X20 Opus (plain Jane model) in stock, but they have a blue Artisan X20 on hand for $2100 shipped. Upgrade to an Artisan gives you a pickup, a hard case, a full gloss finish, and the color.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I did not include insurance, but the max declared value the Post Office will cover internationally is $2500 IIRC. I declared that value to put it on the record, but declined the so-called "insurance". A whole separate topic, but the "insurance" that shippers sell is not insurance at all, and is largely useless in the event of a claim. They have about thirty excuses to evade paying, and you really have to fight with them to get anything. They sure do like collecting the premium, however.

My thought process was: a CF instrument well packed in a gig bag inside a box is very unlikely to be damaged by impacts or mishandling, except for the most extreme of events. Further, by going through Customs and shipping by Priority Mail, the shipment is thoroughly tracked and unlikely to get lost (the other major hazard). There were no issues getting Chimeara from and back to Ireland, or getting my new X20-12 from Ireland (it isn't going back).

Tracking with AnPost (the Irish post office) is fine, but tracking on the US side is marginal and lags severely. By the time USPS showed my X20-12 released from Customs in New York, it was here in Boise.

----------

I just looked at the Emerald web site out of curiosity. They don't have an X20 Opus (plain Jane model) in stock, but they have a blue Artisan X20 on hand for $2100 shipped. Upgrade to an Artisan gives you a pickup, a hard case, a full gloss finish, and the color.
Yeah, I just noticed that... a week or so ago they had a Red Artisan that was tempting me pretty badly, but it is already gone! You snooze, You lose! ha! I am waiting hoping another red artisan shows up or a woody version maybe.
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Yeah, I just noticed that... a week or so ago they had a Red Artisan that was tempting me pretty badly, but it is already gone! You snooze, You lose! ha! I am waiting hoping another red artisan shows up or a woody version maybe.
Remember that Emerald has the “Select Series” batch of custom Artisan guitars offered soon into each month, so December’s edition is right around the corner. They are quite special, and one or more X20s are usually in the mix. One has to be quick on the button when they are announced. If you’re interested in this and haven’t signed up for their Select Series email notification, you may want to do so via their website because enrollees are usually notified first before a thread is posted on this forum.

It is unlikely that a new red Artisan will show up because they are custom ordered. The only quick-buy Emeralds are the Opus series (always black CF with gloss top and crystal ice b&s)...still very nice.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-17-2017 at 12:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber