The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
If you don't want to read the blog post, I had the opportunity to play the McPherson Sable (Kevin Michael) and the Touring...
In a way, kinda reminiscent of the X20 and X7 in size. Would I trade either of my Emeralds for these? Not a chance.
That says much, Jim. I've always wanted to visit Gruhn's but don't get to that part of the US very often.

Best wishes and hopes for your south Texas place and your wood guitars (and your neighbor's boat) surviving the hurricane unscathed.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:44 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
That says much, Jim. I've always wanted to visit Gruhn's but don't get to that part of the US very often.

Best wishes and hopes for your south Texas place and your wood guitars (and your neighbor's boat) surviving the hurricane unscathed.
Yep, what Earl said. Jim, being where you guys are right now is probably for the best. Just try not to stress over it. I hope your place and possessions do t suffer any damage.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Earl and Tom. The latest weather update is showing less wind for us, now predicting highs in the 40 to 50 mph range. The swing-bridge to our island (opens to allow boat traffic to pass on the Intracoastal Waterway) is going to be opened and tied back tonight to protect it from storm surge. That means: no way on/off the island, other than by boat.

While I would like to be there to keep an eye on the house, we would have buttoned up the house the way we did before we left on this trip, and bugged out. If the storm has a name, I am looking for an escape path.

These updates are much better than the forecast for our area just 12 hours ago. That, however, means the storm has "tightened up" and will likely be worse for those in the direct path. Having been through this before, I can appreciate that we are on "the dry side" of this storm, as opposed to the "the dirty side."

This was not a "cry wolf" situation from the weather folks... this storm simply ramped up faster than they expected. In Asheville, we had supper with a friend from the Mississippi Gulf area - he and I discussed the potential for this hurricane season: warmer than usual water in the Gulf, creating a lot of potential energy for exactly this kind of build-up.

We are definitely breathing a bit easier than just a few hours ago. We're not ready to make a bee-line for home... just yet.

For those who have never been through a hurricane, the misery is on the other side of it... after the storm has passed and the media attention goes away. The heat and humidity are hard to imagine. After Dolly in 2008, our area was without power for almost 2 weeks. We lent our generator and emergency supplies to a neighbor who stayed on the island (to his regret). When emergency services can't get to you because the bridge is inoperable, you are pretty much on your own until traffic can resume. You can't drive a vehicle in the area, because the nails from all the shingles that blew off will result in endless flat tires. If you don't have a generator, there is no ice, no way to keep food frozen or refrigerated. No running water, which also means the pumps that remove sewage from the island will not be functioning. Yep, misery.

-----------

Just got word that the 2 1/2 mile long causeway to South Padre Island is now closed. Storm surge is moving up the beach and there will be some local flooding. So, this event isn't over for our area. But, the diminished wind forecast is a good start. Once we are past the storm surge over the next 12 to 18 hours, we'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Those in the direct path of this (Corpus Christi area and north and east of that) need our good vibes.

Jim
Old 08-25-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Best of luck with the storm Jim, not a good situation, but hoping it's not too bad for you and those in the direct path.

Our tastes seem to run pretty close from what I have read, so your comments on the Sable and Touring are much appreciated, I have been hoping to get a chance to play them someday. Now, not so much.

Enjoy the rest of your trip
Old 08-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Jim, as you may know, I've owned an '08 Cargo ("Road Tough" finish) since new and have always really liked it. Have you ever played a Cargo regardless of finish? I think Ted has played them all...the RT, RAW and gloss and he has stated he prefers the tonal distinction of the RT. If you haven't played one, but happen to encounter during your travels, I'd appreciate your impressions compared to the X7 which is the main alternative small size travel guitar on my radar. Thx.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

My apologies for butting in here Acousticado, but I own an X7 and have played the Cargo several times. The one I played was the Carbon Burst finish. Very attractive. I'm a strummer/picker style player, so that enters into it a bit. I really like the tone of the Cargo and will probably purchase one in the future, it's very full sounding with a great resonance to it. Lots of overtones would be a better way of saying it I guess. I thought it was warmer than say a Rainsong or Taylor. What stopped me from purchasing one when I bought the X7 was the neck, compared to the X7 it feels cramped with the shorter scale. The nut width is fine, and I think one would get used to the shorter scale quickly. I think a fingerstyle player would prefer the X7 by a pretty big margin. I find the X7 to be more comfortable in my lap. I wouldn't ever consider trading my X7 for a Cargo, but would like to have one in addition too. Toy Monger would be the the word I think, LOL I hope that helps a little bit, perhaps one of the Cargo owners can do a better job of describing the tone.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
My apologies for butting in here Acousticado, but I own an X7 and have played the Cargo several times. The one I played was the Carbon Burst finish. Very attractive. I'm a strummer/picker style player, so that enters into it a bit. I really like the tone of the Cargo and will probably purchase one in the future, it's very full sounding with a great resonance to it. Lots of overtones would be a better way of saying it I guess. I thought it was warmer than say a Rainsong or Taylor. What stopped me from purchasing one when I bought the X7 was the neck, compared to the X7 it feels cramped with the shorter scale. The nut width is fine, and I think one would get used to the shorter scale quickly. I think a fingerstyle player would prefer the X7 by a pretty big margin. I find the X7 to be more comfortable in my lap. I wouldn't ever consider trading my X7 for a Cargo, but would like to have one in addition too. Toy Monger would be the the word I think, LOL I hope that helps a little bit, perhaps one of the Cargo owners can do a better job of describing the tone.
Thanks for chiming-in, John. I appreciate your experience and perspective about both guitars, especially because it seems that your playing style may be similar to mine. Iirc, I think Jim's is similar too as he has described it. Although I know some players find the Cargo cramped, luckily for me, I adapt very easily and have never found it cramped for me at all. Like you, I think I one day might like to have one of each. I have various places I can keep them.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

LOL...I wasn't paying attention, you already have a Cargo, sorry about that. My X7 probably gets more play than any of my other guitars. Even though I prefer the X20.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:12 PM

Jim... you are smart and fortunate to have the motorhome as a 'bug out' vehicle, given the potential for hurricanes where you live. It's nice and easy to pack up and head out - and stay out until conditions are such that returning home is desired. We sure appreciate having the motorhome when the desire or need to bug out strikes.

Safe travels and I hope your home gets through the storm unharmed.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Jim, as you may know, I've owned an '08 Cargo ("Road Tough" finish) since new and have always really liked it. Have you ever played a Cargo regardless of finish? I think Ted has played them all...the RT, RAW and gloss and he has stated he prefers the tonal distinction of the RT. If you haven't played one, but happen to encounter during your travels, I'd appreciate your impressions compared to the X7 which is the main alternative small size travel guitar on my radar. Thx.
Hi Tom,

Just a brief moment to reply, but I had the opportunity to play a Cargo a couple years ago, before I bought the X7. The sound of the Cargo was nice, but I felt the neck was cramped at the 22.75" scale, and the body shape wasn't comfortable to me. I know others really like it, and Ted has recommended a Neck-Up for it... not necessary with the X7. It had the textured finish, which felt more like sandpaper to me than the "Cracked Ice" texture on the X7 Opus.

No intention to make this a "my guitar can beat up your guitar" post - the X7 is simply the most comfortable acoustic guitar I've ever played.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Hi Tom,

Just a brief moment to reply, but I had the opportunity to play a Cargo a couple years ago, before I bought the X7. The sound of the Cargo was nice, but I felt the neck was cramped at the 22.75" scale, and the body shape wasn't comfortable to me. I know others really like it, and Ted has recommended a Neck-Up for it... not necessary with the X7...
I never once suggested the Neck-up for the Cargo, Jim, not sure where that came from.

The Cargo and the X7 are both 3/4 size guitars, so comfortable enough while playing seated, but and while the Cargo is a bit more ergonomic, the main difference is in tone. Most folks feel the Cargo does not sound like a 3/4 size guitar, and I agree.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Hi Tom,

Just a brief moment to reply, but I had the opportunity to play a Cargo a couple years ago, before I bought the X7. The sound of the Cargo was nice, but I felt the neck was cramped at the 22.75" scale, and the body shape wasn't comfortable to me. I know others really like it, and Ted has recommended a Neck-Up for it... not necessary with the X7. It had the textured finish, which felt more like sandpaper to me than the "Cracked Ice" texture on the X7 Opus.

No intention to make this a "my guitar can beat up your guitar" post - the X7 is simply the most comfortable acoustic guitar I've ever played.
Thanks Jim. Not at all taken like a guitar rivalry reply. I appreciate both instruments and am just trying to figure out if/when an X7 may also have a place for me.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I never once suggested the Neck-up for the Cargo, Jim, not sure where that came from.

The Cargo and the X7 are both 3/4 size guitars, so comfortable enough while playing seated, but and while the Cargo is a bit more ergonomic, the main difference is in tone. Most folks feel the Cargo does not sound like a 3/4 size guitar, and I agree.

Sorry if I mis-remembered that, Ted. It must have been the Blackbird Rider you and I were talking about in regards to the Neck-up. My apologies. I'll have to take better notes in the future. I stand by my comment about the ergonomics and comfort of the X7 being my choice over any of the smaller size guitars.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Looks like our home area was spared as Hurricane Harvey roared into the Corpus Christi area and northeast of there. Our home has been through a hurricane before, and the emotional rollercoaster is taxing... you hope it won't hit your area, but that means someone else is going to get the impact. This one ramped up a lot as it made landfall, and that area is going to feel the effects for months and years to come.

Thanks again for the well-wishes and kind words. Send those good vibes to those still in the path.

----------------

Nothing we could do from afar, we further explored "the Broadway experience" in Nashville...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/08...urgis-but.html

We truly enjoyed touring the Ryman Auditorium...

So much music history there. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to be on that stage...

Yes, you know that was "a set-up," since I was playing a Martin.

The sonic overload on Broadway...

Old 08-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Well, Harvey is now down to a Tropical Storm, but the damage potential is far from over. We have friends in the Rockport, Port Lavaca, and Victoria areas, as well as Houston. It may be several days before the folks in those first three can get back to assess damage. Friends with a boat in a marina in Port Aransas are waiting to find out any info about their boat there... the initial photos coming from that area are not hopeful.

The Houston area is going to be hit with widespread, continued flooding. Friends there are reporting water in their house and not expected to crest before Thursday. Some reports are calling for over 40" of rain before this is over.

The wind damage gets a lot of the initial press, but the potential flooding will be even more destructive.

I have been asked: "Why would you live in an area that is in the hurricane "zone"? We truly appreciate having a home with water access... being able to keep a boat at our own dock, with the opportunity to go far or near by water. It is hot and humid there in the summer, and we are fortunate to be able to travel at that time. The other 9 months of the year are a sub-tropical delight. No snow to shovel (we lived in the frozen northland - done with that). A unique culture. Last week, when we talked about heading home (before Harvey had developed), we both agreed that there is no place that has more draw for us.

Every place we have lived or visited has some kind of potential for Nature's wrath. Historically, a hurricane makes landfall around here about every 28 years. Climate change may be altering that, but we know we don't want to have to deal with cold and snow that will come to some parts of the country every single year. Or forest fires in the northern mountains. Earthquakes. Drought. Flooding rivers.

Our daughter has been lobbying for years for us to move to the Phoenix area... we can visit there, even spend a couple months, but too hot and dry, yet still gets cold at night in the winter, to consider it as a base. Oh, and that whole "not much water" thing.

So, for now, a combination of wandering about and enjoying what we have works for us. I am aware that a Cat 4 storm coming over our little island would wipe out every structure. One has to come to terms with that before building along the coast.

My heart hurts for those who are affected by this storm. I have already let friends who are affected know that we will show up for a "house raising" if necessary.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber