The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-30-2017, 10:13 PM

Default Archtop bridge terminology

If someone can answer this for me, then the thread can disappear into the depths of ... wherever threads go to die.

What is the correct terminology of the parts of an archtop bridge? i.e. what do you call the bottom bit? The top bit? The whole bit? The wheels and posts? (probably wheels and posts...)
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 AM

I call the base "the base" and the saddle either "the saddle" or "the topper" and the adjusters are just the adjusters.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:55 PM

The saddle goes on the base. The two of them are known collectively as the bridge. The metal bits are thumbwheels and bridge posts.

On a T-O-M saddle, the sliding bits are saddle pieces. Many people refer to them as "saddles" and the T-O-M as the "bridge". This is because on a solid body or semi-hollow with fixed posts/rods but without a floating base, the TOM saddle is also the bridge. There are Nashville Stud TOMs and ABR-1 TOMs. Most archtop guitars use the ABR-1 TOMs.

Confused?

It depends on whom you are talking to. To archtop people, the floating bridge with a saddle and a base is simply, "the bridge". There are those who "pin" a floating bridge to the top with pins so that it doesn't move. This is known as a pinned bridge. It can be made to float by removing the pins. The holes in the top remain but are mostly hidden by the base.

Dan Koentopp carves one-piece floating bridges for his archtop guitars. So, the saddle and base are one as on a violin, viola, cello or double bass.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 04-06-2017 at 08:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops