The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 AM

Default Fingerstyle Guitarist Gigs?

Hey all,

I'm new to the performance scene and thought this would be as good a place as any to inquire about the type of venues, coffee shops, etc. that are best suited for a musician of my genre. (I would post a link to my SoundCloud, but that would seem rather self-serving --- so just try to think of an Andy Mckee or Antoine Dufour-influenced musician).

Anyway, I've done a few open mics, but I was just wondering what types of places other fingerstyle guitarists tended to play at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

... Also, if there are any Charlottesville or Philly musicians who can name specific venues in their area that would also be extremely helpful
Old 07-26-2013, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Wine bars?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 AM

Depends on the scope of your material really... Could range from resto's and coffee houses, to open-minded songwriter circles etc... Unless you're putting on quite a show it might be a bit timid for rowdy bars. It's probably at the harder end of the scale gigs-wise, as instrumental fingerstyle is a bit of a niche market compared to singers/songwriters and cover bands etc...
Old 07-26-2013, 05:56 AM

Hello and welcome! (Noticed it was your first post ) The local brewery here has been a good audience for anywhere from electric blues to folk fingerstylists. They are less of a bar, and more of a tasting room attached to a nice patio perfect for bands. There is also a restaurant here that hosts the jazz society monthly - the place is run by a couple of food and wine enthusiasts who are also musicians. I guess after reading my answer again, a good answer is to think about where people who would like to listen to your music are likely to go.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaug View Post
Hey all,

I'm new to the performance scene and thought this would be as good a place as any to inquire about the type of venues, coffee shops, etc. that are best suited for a musician of my genre. (I would post a link to my SoundCloud, but that would seem rather self-serving --- so just try to think of an Andy Mckee or Antoine Dufour-influenced musician).

Anyway, I've done a few open mics, but I was just wondering what types of places other fingerstyle guitarists tended to play at. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

... Also, if there are any Charlottesville or Philly musicians who can name specific venues in their area that would also be extremely helpful
Welcome to the forum! For fingerstyle, what works for me is locally owned restaurants, especially if you have your own sound system. Chains are hard to get into because they have "policies" (lol) and have no budget to pay musicians. Talk to the owners or managers of locally owned lunch places, dinner houses, etc. Offer to play for free for a couple of days, then after they see your work negotiate a fee. Use all of your own personal equipment.

When you fingerstyle a lunch or dinner crowd, you will not capture the room (like if you were playing a club), so don't let the ego get bruised. You are a live muzak, and people will keep talking - but that's OK, it's part of the gig.

I (used to) play 40 minute fingerstyle sets and it was usually $100 per set, sometimes a little less sometimes a little more. You gotta be able to show that the live music draws customers.

Good luck, and again welcome to our little "gaggle" of minstrels here at AGF!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Welcome Mark,

Here's an idea you may not have considered. Why not try out some of the libraries in your county? Generally the ones that put on shows have a budget for all types of shows. Many years ago when I started out I did this and found it fairly lucrative and pleasantly rewarding.

If you decide to do this then I'd suggest the following:

See which libraries present adult programming (as opposed to children's).
Call and ask for the program director in charge of adult programming.
Have your 'selling speech' ready. Keep it short and to the point.
Be prepared to send them a link to your website or a CD (it doesn't have to be fancy).

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Humanist

Try volunteering at your local hospital.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Welcome Mark,

Here's an idea you may not have considered. . .
Naw, I'm retired now. I'm happy playing for family and friends and on the Church band. My gigging for money days is done . . . unless you meant your kind note for the OP
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 PM

As mentioned, hospitals are great. One of the largest here in Houston is one of my regular "gigs." It is volunteer. No money in it at all, but you do provide a great deal of satisfaction to patients, patients' families, and all the health care providers in their otherwise stressful days. I get the feeling that for the patients' families in particular it's an escape for them.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:46 AM

Nursing homes pay for entertainment and they probably wouldn't turn down a free concert.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle concerts, gig, instrumental, performance