The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 PM

Default $50,000 violin found in the trash

This video was from a Antiques Roadshow program. An amazing find:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...k3&pLid=254039
Old 01-17-2013, 06:36 AM

Wow! and as usual the person that tossed it away will probably come forward. "It's mine, I didn't meant to throw it away"

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM

i saw that episode of the show. it was a fun segment. one little thing that stood out, however, which wasn't in the huffpost clip was the antiques roadshow guy said something like (as i may be misremembering), "right now it's worth $30k-$35k, after it's cleaned it up and put into good condition, it will be worth $50k."

so what struck me is that the cleaning and minor repairs would increase the value so much. still an exciting story.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:06 PM

Wow, and I thought I was lucky when I found a beautiful birdseye maple Epiphone Triumph from the 40's set out for the trash! It had it's original case and accessories including a DeArmond jazz pickup with it.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Love those finds

My best find was an old ratty guitar I found in a garage sale for $35.

It was a 1956 Gibson ES-225T.

I sold it and bought my Taylor dream guitar

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-28-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
wow, and i thought i was lucky when i found a beautiful birdseye maple epiphone triumph from the 40's set out for the trash! It had it's original case and accessories including a dearmond jazz pickup with it.
Quote:
my best find was an old ratty guitar i found in a garage sale for $35.
It was a 1956 gibson es-225t.
I sold it and bought my taylor dream guitar

I'd like to know where you guys go dumpster diving.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larstusor View Post
I'd like to know where you guys go dumpster diving.
+1.

I'm blown away by all the stories of people finding vintage guitars and amps for a pittance.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:28 PM

I considered myself very lucky to be in the right place at the right time when I rescued the Epi Triumph. I played it for several years and then sold it realizing that it really belonged in the hands of a jazz player.

What makes me cringe is to think it most likely would have went through the Packmaster 500 when the garbage men came by. Think of all the nice instruments that have been relagated to the dump by unknowing folks cleaning out a basement or attic.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM

the last time our trash/recycling person came by, i happened to be out by the road. i noticed he had a ukulele hanging in the cab of the truck. we started chatting and i asked him if people ever threw out guitars. he said he had picked up 2 in about 20 years, an old harmony and something else i can't remember. he said neither were very nice.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 PM

I have a reoccurring dream about finding mint condition, pre-war martin guitars in estate sales for pennies. True story...I dream about it at least once a week. My lady thinks I have a problem
Old 02-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregproulx1 View Post
I have a reoccurring dream about finding mint condition, pre-war martin guitars in estate sales for pennies. True story...I dream about it at least once a week. My lady thinks I have a problem
In this day and age of Ebay, etc... the notion of someone throwing-out or nearly giving away a valuable instrument gets less and less likely. I used to dream about such things too. Now I just fantasize about finding a paper bag full of thousands of dollars in cash laying in a gutter somewhere.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 AM

Rumor has it that Andy Griffith found his D-18 in the garbage on a movie set, and it's the guitar that he played in the episodes of his show.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Yeah, one episode of "Antiques Roadshow" I remember was when this woman went to the Tulsa, OK show with this old mandolin that she found cleaning out her uncle's attic after he died. The thing was in excellent condition -- just needed a new set of strings. There, on the label under one of the f-holes, it said: "Tested and inspected by LLOYD LOAR." The appraiser offered her $125,000 for it right there and then.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM

Not in a dumpster, but in a ratty flea market booth with mostly crap... a beatup '62 Strat for $50... Back in the early '80s. By the end of the day I had made a 3 way trade and had a brand new squareneck Dobro D-60; all three parties knowing the story & the police checked first before I did a thing with the Strat.

Win-win! (Although I wish I had that Strat now!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments