The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Hohner A+ AS355CE Solid Top Cutaway Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric

Any opinions or experience with this guitar?

The A+ AS355CE is a solid top cutaway acoustic-electric dreadnought guitar that incorporates many of the superior A+ build quality advantages to provide the best player experience possible. It is equipped with a solid spruce top, a compensated saddle for accurate intonation with a natural rosewood pin-style bridge. The A+ 40 pickup has a 4-band EQ with phase, volume with an onboard tuner. The natural satin or tobacco sunburst finished solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides are highlighted with multi-ply binding. The rosewood fingerboard is accented with white diamond inlays.

MF has this on sale for $119.99.

Last edited by Steadfastly; 01-16-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

I have rarely heard any praise for Hohner guitars so I'd be inclined to go in another direction.

Most of what you listed (rosewood pin-style bridge, 4-band EQ with phase, sunburst finish, sunburst finish, and white diamond inlays) are not things that will improve playability or tone which are two areas in which low end guitars frequently lacking. I'd be more concerned with those two things than aesthetic appointments.

On the low end, the Yamaha FS800 and FG800 get a lot of love around here. I was recently in the market for a low end guitar with a wider neck, and folks pointed me towards the lower end Alvarez guitars, so those are good options as well.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Any opinions or experience with this guitar?

The A+ AS355CE is a solid top cutaway acoustic-electric dreadnought guitar that incorporates many of the superior A+ build quality advantages to provide the best player experience possible. It is equipped with a solid spruce top, a compensated saddle for accurate intonation with a natural rosewood pin-style bridge. The A+ 40 pickup has a 4-band EQ with phase, volume with an onboard tuner. The natural satin or tobacco sunburst finished solid spruce top and mahogany back and sides are highlighted with multi-ply binding. The rosewood fingerboard is accented with white diamond inlays.

MF has this on sale for $119.99.
That had me curious but I'm unwilling to take the chance, even at 120 bucks. Now if I was guitar poor perhaps I'd feel different, especially if I was money poor, too. BTW, does anyone know what a multi-pin neck joint is.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I have rarely heard any praise for Hohner guitars so I'd be inclined to go in another direction.

Most of what you listed (rosewood pin-style bridge, 4-band EQ with phase, sunburst finish, sunburst finish, and white diamond inlays) are not things that will improve playability or tone which are two areas in which low end guitars frequently lacking. I'd be more concerned with those two things than aesthetic appointments.

On the low end, the Yamaha FS800 and FG800 get a lot of love around here. I was recently in the market for a low end guitar with a wider neck, and folks pointed me towards the lower end Alvarez guitars, so those are good options as well.
Thanks Jim. I am mostly curious as I have seen some of these for sale and have never seen a Hohner guitar.

BTW, I own an Alvarez Masterworks Dread, so I get the Alvarez.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion