The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 10:03 AM

+1 for Alvarez ABT610ESHB here.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:54 PM

Recently I had to grab one of those "Stupid Deal" Recording Kings for only $149!

What a deal.
Great guitar!!!

Old 01-16-2018, 01:10 PM

Default Seagull Walnut 12

Brand new but damaged - - - a chance to work on some repair skills with no risk. $110.00. What's not to like?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Musical minimalist

After I sold my Charis dread, I got a note from a guy I'd sold an Eastman E10D to about 10 months previous. I'd remembered it being pretty darn nice. I'd put a small oval Todd-port in the upper bout and did some minor brace sanding.

When I got it back, I decided to see where I could take it. I'd been doing a lot of dual ports on guitars since I'd had that and was always very, very happy with the results. Since I couldn't reproduce the oval on the lower bout via the same method, I did a similar size and shape with three small holes.

Then, over a period of a couple months and 4-5 string changes, I slowly took down the lower part of the X and the closest tone bar to the bridge. I also slowly took a lot of material off the bridge itself - stock they are very thick.

The result is the best sounding factory guitar I've owned by a long shot, and a LOT better than many one off instruments I've owned. I dropped a K&K in it and every time I pick it up it makes me smile very big.

Happiness is having 700 into a guitar with great electronics that sent a 2014 D18 and 2016 D18GE down the road.....wasn't even close!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (55.0 KB, 161 views)

Old 01-16-2018, 05:31 PM

Also bought a $99 GC Recording King parlor.....very disappointed! Makes me appreciate my Eastman AC720 from Soundpure for $750 shipped!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

About a year ago, I bought a Martin D-15 for $550, including case. It had some fancy sound hole pickup system in it I didn't care about, so I uninstalled it and sold it on ebay for $175. All in, I have $375 invested in the guitar. It's been played hard enough to wear the decal off around part of the sound hole, but it doesn't bother me.

I called Martin to ask about the serial number and an odd Celtic knot on the back. The knot was apparently where a previous owner had a sticker and must have taken it off after it left a stain there, but it's actually pretty cool. The guy at Martin did tell me it's a 2000 model and according to his records, it was the first D-15 to come off the line in the new millennium. I figure that and $5 gets me a cup of coffee...

Old 01-16-2018, 09:18 PM

Mine was a new old stock Blueridge BR-40 12 string. Best 149.00 I've spent in a while.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:16 PM

Not an acoustic guitar but last year I got a squier bullet strat for a c note brand new and it’s actually pretty darn good. Other than the tuners and needed a little neck relief and basic setup it’s a heck of a beater strat to have around. Please don’t chase me round with torches and pitchforks I know squier bullets get bashed a lot on the web.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 PM

The Fender PM-3 000 Deluxe Natural I picked up a couple of weeks ago. It was an open-box guitar with all case candy and hard case for 1/3 of Amazon price. A wonderfully-made guitar with excellent tone and the playability of a Strat. Great woods, great build, great finish, excellent inlays...... great tone and sustain that rings for days. However, I did not need to have it. I just wanted to give it a try and I'm glad I did.

write up here: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=495104

fender.jpgfender1.jpgfender2.jpgfender3.jpg

Last edited by DenverSteve; 01-17-2018 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:12 AM

An Epiphone AJ-100, new for $79. An all laminated guitar, but it sounds great nontheless.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Guest 2434

an RK RP-06 from a recent SDOTD. either it's opening up or I am getting used to its idiosyncrasies. needs a setup for string height and buzzing at a couple of spots. tuners need adjusting every day; one day too sharp, next too flat. I might put some $ into it or I might not.

a seagull maritime CE SWS SDOTD. I have not really bonded with this guitar and I prefer the tone on an S6 that I've had quite a few years except that the S6 E1 really rings out and is overwhelming to my ear whereas the maritime is much more even. also I have not adjusted to the cutaway being not much wider than the waist... I have to think about keeping the guitar in place on my knee.

an alvarez AF615 which cost a little over $100 after previous purchases 'points'. a very even temperament and not much different in size to a parlor. an impulse purchase that has worked out well. it's nicely built and finished and I expect it to improve with age.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:52 AM

Default My best cheap guitar deal...

... was an amp!

Just yesterday, I dropped off a box of Christmas ornaments at a thrift store. I dropped them off at the back door and asked to enter through the shop, to save a walk around the building. I almost tripped over a big brown amp in the shop- a Beheringer Ultracoustic ACX 1800. They hadn't priced it yet, so I made what seemed like a decent offer. Now it's mine, for $40, about a dollar a pound. They still sell 'em new for $349.

This brand doesn't get much respect online, but mine, the flagship model from the early 2000s, worked flawlessly for several hours last night as I worked thorough the dials and combinations. It sounded at least as good as I played, which is all I hoped for. Now I need to find a good deal on a mike, since it includes a vocal channel.

This isn't the first time I've experienced Thrift Shop Mojo, in which I find my best deals on days I'm just there to drop off some unwanted stuff.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 01-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Default Love the DM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Mine would have to be my Martin DM. This thing just booms and sings. And I got it for $450 with a Martin Hardshell Case.

I have a DM also, 2004 model - found it on local Craigslist for $425, with case and K&K installed. Plastic still on pickguard. I've heard others say "poor man's D-18" and they're right. The DM sounds FANTASTIC when I do my part.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I have a DM also, 2004 model - found it on local Craigslist for $425, with case and K&K installed. Plastic still on pickguard. I've heard others say "poor man's D-18" and they're right. The DM sounds FANTASTIC when I do my part.
Definitely a Martin in every sense of the word. Just floors me every time I play it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-17-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I love Martin 15-series all mahogany guitars. I've cycled through several but always sold them off due to nut width. I wanted an all-mahogany OM style, preferably cheap enough to play on the patio and leave out there while I went in the house etc. Basically a campfire type guitar.

I picked up a solid top, laminated body Ibanez artwood AC240 mahogany guitar. The spec's are exactly what I wanted and it sounds great. Not perfect but great.

I got it in mint used condition for $180. Incredible deal.
+1 on the Ibanez AC240 OPN. It scratched my mahogany itch!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion