The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2017, 02:44 PM

I bought a used Tonewood amp and have put the cross brace in two of my guitars.
I'm still in the learning phase, but it seems to be a cool toy.
I really like the way it sounds on my Taylor 150e.
But I'm finding that you don't need near as much of any effect as you'd believe.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

Last edited by Oldguy64; 09-15-2017 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:39 PM

I'm a gadget lover and I've gone through many different pedals when playing acoustic. At one point I had an A/B switch, tuner, compressor, Zoom A3, 10 band EQ, reverb, chorus on one pedal board.

Now I use tuner, Zoom A3, chorus, delay on a pedaltrain nano 2 when I play in church. The reverb and chorus are used very sparingly just to fatten up the sound into our PA.

At home for practice, I have a Zoom A3 (yeah I have 2), pitchfork, reverb, ditto x2 looper on a small homemade pedalboard into a fishman loudbox mini. (I'm getting into recording at home and the pitchfork gives me a nice bass guitar sound for my recordings. Now all i need is to learn how to play bass...)

My Zoom A3s tame the piezo pretty well and while I like the Zoom's effects, they aren't easy to get to when I need to make a quick change so I got separate pedals instead.

Best,
PJ
Old 09-15-2017, 07:15 AM

I use a Fishman ToneDEQ for reverb, compression, boost switch, a little treble roll off, sub-base cut-off, and the slightest touch of chorus. The chorus to my ear gives me a slightly more natural acoustic sound from my Mi-Si Trio (Element based) UST. The compression turned out to be more useful than I ever anticipated and would not have even tried it had the Baggs Session products not been on the market for a while.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j5...M1rACqq3vyL9cg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-_...YAAl_SP7x24BOg
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I'm not an acoustic purist and I don't attempt to be. For my creative side, every song has a voice. Some songs I use effects and others I don't. Some use it sparingly and others a little heavier. Some songs I use a looper and the melody I play over it will sometimes be heavily processed. Some songs I use a pic, some songs I don't. Some songs I use a capo or alternative tunings, it's all music. When I write lyrics, I don't write about one subject, I don't play my guitar that way either.

I have a number of effect pedals, I don't put them all on my pedal board at one time. The ones that seem to stay on there the longest is a Zoom A3, HOF reverb and a looper. I'm thinking of getting an e-bow to see what I can do with that, it could be fun.
I"m the same way. Just depends on the song, the venue, the crowd, my mood, etc.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:31 AM

i am late to the party on this =] i use a LR baggs venue DI and send out to a flashback x4 > strymon big sky > back to the send in on the baggs. i want to upgrade my delay to the strymon timeline but x4 is a fantastic less costly pedal.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 AM

I judge how effective my effects pedals are by asking my listeners. I can say that some love the effects and the effect they bring to a gig and some don't even notice. I use a variety of pedals including the delays and chorus pedals. Strymon is the best in my opinion and the effects you get with those pedals are clean and very useful in settings where they can be heard and appreciated. Some guitarists are purists and some are not. I am not. I also appreciate the purists and love to hear a nice acoustic without any effects.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I judge how effective my effects pedals are by asking my listeners. I can say that some love the effects and the effect they bring to a gig and some don't even notice. I use a variety of pedals including the delays and chorus pedals. Strymon is the best in my opinion and the effects you get with those pedals are clean and very useful in settings where they can be heard and appreciated. Some guitarists are purists and some are not. I am not. I also appreciate the purists and love to hear a nice acoustic without any effects.
well said. styrmon effects are so good. i dont know if you feel this way but the strymon effects feel like an entire different instrument sometimes. they do an amazing job of not hindering the acoustic sound but creating their own its just remarkable. i am a big purist and i find that using the acoustic with strymon enhances and feels like a different instrument on top of your guitar.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 09-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I can't stand effects on acoustic guitar sound. I'm not real thrilled with them on electrics either. I like to to listen to guitars being played and I don't like to hear effects being played, on any instrument.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-18-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Someone brought along to my club last week, one of the new gimmick Yamahas with "built in" fx. It was awful.

The only fx I have ever been guilty of using is the merest amount of reverb - with the rule - turn the knob until you can hear the effect - then turn it back one notch.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:10 PM

the problem is, guitarists arent really the best at using effects tastefully. effects should be a very small compliment to the sound if used. not overtake and destroy it. i would say a 80/20 in most cases.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 09-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
If you are also a vocalist do yourself a favor and check out the TC Helicon 'Acoustic Play'. I've used one in our duo for a couple of years. It's a nice small box that adds real warmth to both vocals and guitar with a wide array of well done effects. I use them very sparingly but greatly appreciate that they are all easily available when I want them. I have fallen in love with the tone that the "Body Rez" eq gives to my Taylor.
"Ditto" on the TC Helicon (and some TC Electronic) pedals. I use them sparingly, but I think they do add a nice dimension to certain songs.
My collection includes a Mic Mechanic, one of each of the VoiceLive Singles (C1, D1, E1, H1, R1, T1, and X1), a Harmony-G XT, and a VoiceLive Play. Except for the Harmony-G XT, those are all for vocals rather than guitar, but I also have two of the little Body Rez pedals. I think the Body Rez can help pretty much any acoustic-electric to sound better.
The Harmony-G is smaller and lower-priced than the Play Acoustic, but doesn't have all the features. Both are pretty highly rated on Amazon and elsewhere.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:24 PM

I have a Nano+ board with a Pitchblack, Boss GE-7, TC Electronic Hall of Fame and LR Baggs Session DI. I use it mostly for church and never engage the HOF and depending will only use the GE-7 if I use my OM that has a K&K Pure Mini due to the slight impedence mismatch so I increase the signal by using the GE-7 as a "booster pedal". Otherwise, it's just Pitchblack to Session DI.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Just reverb! (HOF, Holy Grail)
Old 09-19-2017, 02:43 AM

I use wah , tremolo , reverb , compression , delay . Effects inspire me to create more
Old 09-19-2017, 06:05 PM

Exclamation ¡ Acoustic Guitar FX Masters ¡

There are two rules about acoustic guitar's on FX :

# 1 : There IS/ARE No Rule
# 2 : Refer To Rule# 1

https://www.ted.com/talks/rodrigo_y_...rmance#t-30948

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=EmvWjLx8DvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC9Xhf6PS14

¡ Yeah I want some of this !

¿ Why wouldn't anyone who's deep into their acoustic guitar and it's potential(s) ?

I love my T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X's BodyRez acoustic presets on my electric guitar .
I love using the FX from the T.C.H.VL3X's FX on my mic'd dread , 000 nylon & resonator
yep , they are definitely a plus in the equation when playing acoustic live or recording .

I had a Ibanez HD1500 FX unit , I used it on harmonica and on my dread , and it was super .

The lower octave shift , harmonizer chorus & delay also worked well . I did this long before I got
an electric guitar .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 09-19-2017 at 06:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification