The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 AM

Default Low profile 19-20mm (I fret) depth necks: Guitar models

Playing fingerstyle with left-thumb is an ordinary technique and playing on a 44-44.5 mm wide (at Nut) neck comfortably the depth (thickness) of the neck becomes really important....

Checking for this particular neck specifics I only find Ibanez who gives all these figures on their guitars ....

I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge and/or experience for those acoustics which use to have the most low profile necks of 19-20 mm (thickness at I fret).

Thank you!
Old 01-16-2018, 08:04 AM
Guest 1928

That is a very thin neck you're looking for, and you are correct that most makers do not publish that information. Here are a couple of charts I have handy. The one from Taylor lists the thickness including the fretboard. It's several years old, so there may be something more recent. The Martin chart is more recent, but the thicknesses listed DO NOT include the fretboard. Their typical fretboard is 0.225", so you can add that to the dimensions given.

If anyone has more recent information, or from other manufacturers I'd love to see that too.

For comparison, the thickness you prefer is 0.748" to 0.787" at the first fret.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:51 AM

Thanks for joining!
This miniature difference of just 1 mm may affect and change all your playing experience, so it is only one MM but a very significant one......

If you visit any Ibanez model's page, you find there all the details given in figures and shown on to the pictures as well .... very useful data.

Neck Dimensions
Scale : 634mm
a : Width 45mm at NUT
b : Width 56mm at 14F
c : Thickness 21mm at 1F
d : Thickness 22mm at 7F
Radius : 400mmR

My guitar has 21 mm neck, but having it 20 or even 19 mm would be super comfortable .......

Any other similar tables of other acoustics ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion