The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I was reading this thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=470365

Someone is looking for advice on equipment for performing as a solo act. As always, folks here on the AGF are super helpful and are offering good advice.

It dawned on me though that IMO the market still seems to be missing the "ideal" solo act amp. Obviously we all have different ideas of what makes something perfect or ideal but I'm surprised at how often I'll look at an amp that looks like it could be really good and find what I consider to be a glaring omission.

The example that got me thinking about this is the AER Compact 60. It's a great amp and considered by many to be one of the best. It's very small and portable and can be carried in a soft gig bag. It can be (but doesn't need to be) mounted on a stand. It sounds good and can fill a pretty good sized space for something that size. The only downside to me of the AER Compact 60 is that it's a pain to try and use it as a monitor. You have to prop stuff under it, it doesn't feel stable, etc.

AER realized this "flaw" and came out with the Slope 60. All of the features of the Compact 60 in a shape that can be a floor wedge. But....like most products advertised as a floor monitor it looks like the angle would point it directly at your shins (even if you weren't tall like me) AND (unless I'm missing something) they left off the stand mounting bracket! That is a colossal mistake! The fact that you can easily mount a Compact 60 on a stand is one of the things that makes it so versatile. To leave this feature off of the Slope 60 ruins this amp!

Why does this always seem to be the case? Is it that hard to figure out what would make something a super-versatile, indispensable amp for the touring singer/songwriter?

Here's my list:

1) Size: small enough to be easily portable in a gig bag type case yet big enough to fill a little coffee shop, do a house concert, etc. (Think AER Compact 60 size)

2) Configurations: It has to be easily stand mountable (either on a mic stand or speaker stand) AND can sit on the floor or a table tilted up at the proper angle as a monitor (without an additional stand, little tilting wedges, etc.)

3) Proper Inputs, Outputs and Controls: Most companies seem to be getting this right. At least 2 channels that take both XLR and 1/4", Low, Mid and High EQ on each channel. Has to have a DI out. Has to have a master volume, etc. More is better here!

4) Optional Battery Power. I don't use this but I see a lot of folks on here that do so that would be nice.

5) My Dream Feature: an optional remote. The downside of putting an amp like the Compact 60, Shertler Unico, etc on a stand is that the controls are hard to reach. The original Bose L1 had a little remote that was basically a tiny mixer that you could mount on your mic stand, keep on a table next to you etc. I would like a wired one vs. bluetooth, etc. but that's just me.

That's about it.

It seems like most people who travel and play and sing would benefit from something that is easy to carry, sounds really good, can be used in a variety of configurations, can fill a small space and can be expanded upon as needed to fill any venue.

I have a little TC Helicon VoiceSolo FX150 that is stand mountable and can sit on a table or floor at a couple of different angles. Super small and portable but not big enough to really consider using on its own. Close but not quite! I would trade some of that portability for the ability to act as a stand alone system for small venues.

Sad to see something like the Slope 60 that is so close, yet so far away!

Matt
Great thread - I personally feel the AER is the perfect amp - I use a Domino, which has 4 separate inputs and a larger footprint/power than the Compact 60. I have a small stand for it so I can set it at the ideal angle for any gig. The one feature it has that is missing on the Compact 60 is a "mute" switch on every channel - indispensable for a gigging musician!

I can set up multiple guitars without tinkering with the controls for every change.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 PM

Paul, I'd never seen an Acoustic Image product. Their website shows some pretty amazing products that could easily see myself using. Thanks for sharing. The Flex and Ten2. Very innovative. Per discussions earlier in the thread, it would be nice if the mixer included one knob compression.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2017, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Smile Try the small ones first...

The ten 2 is quite a bit bigger and heavier, tho still light for what it is. Has no more controls than the Corus or Coda.

Yes compression would be very nice!

But 20 lbs!!! Just add speakers as needed...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-30-2017, 08:23 PM

(Open-road-matt wrote)
I have a little TC Helicon VoiceSolo FX150 that is stand mountable and can sit on a table or floor at a couple of different angles. Super small and portable but not big enough to really consider using on its own. Close but not quite! I would trade some of that portability for the ability to act as a stand alone system for small venues.

I don't understand why TC Helicon (now Music Group) could not develop the ideal acoustic singer/ songwriter package in an amp. Take what they know of processing (Play Acoustic unit) put it in an amp form (like Boss did), use a few features from their Behringer digital mixer (just a few) and make it a self contained PA (a tad smaller than their bass amps.). I would buy it. Or just build the FX150 larger and put a little more processing in it, like a Voicelive 3 with speakers.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
(Open-road-matt wrote)

I don't understand why TC Helicon (now Music Group) could not develop the ideal acoustic singer/ songwriter package in an amp. Take what they know of processing (Play Acoustic unit) put it in an amp form (like Boss did), use a few features from their Behringer digital mixer (just a few) and make it a self contained PA (a tad smaller than their bass amps.). I would buy it. Or just build the FX150 larger and put a little more processing in it, like a Voicelive 3 with speakers.

Agreed! I've been wondering the same thing. I wonder if they're working on it? Seems like a logical extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-31-2017, 01:13 AM

Agree too

especially since they already make cool form-factor bass amp

Problem is that the guitar market is very conservative as opposed to the bass market... and singers may not be willing to pay the price.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-31-2017, 05:43 AM

I thought TC Electronic and TV Helicon were distinct companies now?

Old 05-31-2017, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I thought TC Electronic and TV Helicon were distinct companies now?

Assuming you mean TC Helicon Both are now owned by the parent company of Behringer "Music Group"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Assuming you mean TC Helicon Both are now owned by the parent company of Behringer "Music Group"

Ah, yes. For some reason I thought that only applied to TC Helicon. A quick google search indicates you're correct. Thanks!

More to Marty's point, it looks like they could also release something under the Bulgera, or the TurboSound, brand with those features.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:25 AM

AeroUSA pointed me a new product HUghes & Kettner ERA 1 designed by AER ex-designer Michael Eisenmann

does have 2 channels, a tilt and a pole mount.
9,85 kg / 21,7 lbs (wood)
Made in Germany
8" speaker + dome tweeter
250w

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 10-22-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Why Do Many Amp-Type Products Seem To Be Missing One Or Two Key Features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
AeroUSA pointed me a new product

does have 2 channels, a tilt and a pole mount.
9,85 kg / 21,7 lbs (wood)
Made in Germany
8" speaker + dome tweeter
250w

Cuki

Looks cool. Looks very expensive. I'd like manufacturers to demo their products with vocal microphones too. Many of us also sing.

According to the specs they have included just about everything on this list except compression. Perhaps this and the new Mesa Boogie are the answer to some of our requests.

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-07-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

That looks promising!

Thanks for the heads up.

Matt
Old 06-07-2017, 05:40 PM

Too bad we have to wait about 2 months to try it :P

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification