The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman AC Series GA body anyone?

OM/D Always mentioned. Anyone played/owned the AC series GA body from Eastman?
Any comparison to Taylor GA or Martin Grand Perforance body?

Thanks

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 01-16-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Maybe Shoreline or LA Guitars will chime in. They sell them.
I have given them consideration. They sure look nice.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 AM

I had an ac522 that was easily the equal to a 3 series Taylor GA (I know litlle about the 4 & up Taylors) - except for the finish. I bought it for half price due to severe checking and crazing. Great sounding guitar though. Sold it only because GA's, L's and Dreads are too large for me.

I also had a Larrivee L but sold it because I found the Eastman GA more powerful and responsive for the way i play. I have never played a 0000 size Martin.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-16-2018, 12:21 PM

I had an Eastman AC-GA2ce (Sapele version) for a while. It was a great value: all-solid, with Fishman Sonitone electronics and a very nice foam bag (similar in density/quality to the GS Mini bags). It has an open pore finish, which helps to avoid some of the finish issues Eastmans are known for and, I hoped, would aid projection/resonance.
However, the AC-GA2ce I owned didn't produce the volume or bass response I had hoped for, which is why I let it go. It's quite possible the spruce version of this model would've met some of these expectations.
While the Eastman AC-GA models compare unfavorably to the Taylor GA models I have played, in some of the areas cited above, they also cost considerably less. As I recall, the Eastmans also have a 1 3/4" nut, which may be important to you.
In any case, if I had $500-$600 to spend on a GA model, I'd probably look around for used Taylor 114s or 214s, instead of a new Eastman GA.
(I don't have as much experience with the Martin Grand Performance models, but have heard good things.)
Best,
Kyle
Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kde1974 View Post
I had an Eastman AC-GA2ce (Sapele version) for a while. It was a great value: all-solid, with Fishman Sonitone electronics and a very nice foam bag (similar in density/quality to the GS Mini bags). It has an open pore finish, which helps to avoid some of the finish issues Eastmans are known for and, I hoped, would aid projection/resonance.
However, the AC-GA2ce I owned didn't produce the volume or bass response I had hoped for, which is why I let it go. It's quite possible the spruce version of this model would've met some of these expectations.
While the Eastman AC-GA models compare unfavorably to the Taylor GA models I have played, in some of the areas cited above, they also cost considerably less. As I recall, the Eastmans also have a 1 3/4" nut, which may be important to you.
In any case, if I had $500-$600 to spend on a GA model, I'd probably look around for used Taylor 114s or 214s, instead of a new Eastman GA.
(I don't have as much experience with the Martin Grand Performance models, but have heard good things.)

Best,
Kyle
I had an AC-OM2 that is the OM size version sans cutaway of this series. My take was the same as yours. The tone was fine but it lacked volume and projection and the string spacing was narrow. I wanted to like it, but never did. I sold mine and replaced it with the Ibanez AC240. It outperforms the AC-OM2 in every way.

FWIW though - IME, the AC and GA series 1 and 2 series Eastmans are not even close to the same league as the 300 and up series. I also owned an HE-122ce early on. It was junk IMO.

The higher level Eastmans are a MUCH different animal than their cheaper offerings.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Musical minimalist

I've had probably 9 or 10 of the AC GA series from 300 to 800.

All nice guitars well above their price point (always bought used)

No experience with the Martin Performance guitars, but stacking them up to newer Taylors, I think the Eastman would likely win my ear every time. Going back to the mid nineties Taylors would be a better showdown.

I think my favorite of all the AC's was the 522 - I've always gravitated toward Mahogany.

Really my only complaint with the Eastmans is the 2 5/32 saddle spacing - MAN I wish they'd change that!

Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 PM

I was searching for a GA size with a built in pickup and cutaway. I had no preferences on wood, price, measurements, etc.. I simply played every new and used one I could get my hands on with an open mind to play the one that sounded and played the best. I played Taylor, Gibson, Martin, Alvarez, Yamaha, Fender and several others at all price points. The one that I liked best was a Gibson, I don't recall the model but it was around $2K.

Having heard quite a bit about Eastman, I decided to try an AC822ce, not the fanned fret model, which I could get from an internet retailer with a good return policy and great price.

I've kept the Eastman. It is beautiful, flawless in construction and finish and plays and sounds fantastic both amplified and not. It has a very balanced sound, punchy but not booming bass and very nice note separation. Compared to Taylors I played, the Eastman sounds as good as any I played from the 300 to the 900 series but is finished at a much higher level than the comparably priced Taylor. I play rhythm and melody but no finger picking. Hope this helps.
Taylor GS Mini
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Strat Pro
Fender Telecaster 52 Reissue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion