The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-13-2014, 09:19 PM

Default Amp display ideas?

So, I've accumulated a few amps - mostly small practice amps, but I have a tweed Deluxe and am eyeing a BF Deluxe Reverb kit - and am looking for some tasteful ideas on stacking/storing them to free up a little floor space while still having full access to plug in and play. My first thought is build something with wood and maybe shelf brackets to hold them, but I'd love to see how other people have approached this. I've got a pretty extensive wood shop in the garage, so building something is definitely an option.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Sounds like a great project, Clint. I'm assuming that once the amps are all 'displayed', they're all playable (i.e. plugged in and ready to go), as opposed to taking an amp off the display and then playing it?

I understand what you mean about amps taking up floor space .
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'm with you on this one. My pile is currently sort of homely and semi-functional. I'm thinking of building shelves that would be three tiers high and would organize my amps and processing.

I'm waiting with bait on my breath to see where this thread goes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:07 PM

You might also search/google Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Vince Gill - guitar magazines often post articles and pictures - Rig Rundowns - and these guys are amp collectors and users, with unlimited resources..

Best luck, sounds like a great project.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:42 PM
.tom the übergeek

Just a couple thoughts as you look at this. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation around the amps. Tubes get hot. Also, there is a pleasant acoustic coupling that happens when amps are on the floor (bass response). This will change (not better or worse, just different) when elevated on a stand or chair.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:50 PM

Radio-controlled hover amps.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Radio-controlled hover amps.
...waits patiently outside, large net in hand, for that Amazon/Google drone to come by...
Taylor 150E
Taylor Limited Edition 326ce 8-string baritone
Various other instruments
Old 07-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Clint, sounds like you might be able to make some extra units and sell them to us
Old 07-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Looked around for a while online, and didn't find quite what I have in mind. The big three tiered racks stores use are way too big (and expensive), but are the general idea I have in mind. I figure two levels so it'll fit against the wall under the guitars, the bottom shelf tilted back so the lower amps point up like they have tiltback legs, plenty of breathing room for tubes, and portable (or at least not fixed in place). I'll take some measurements this week and see what I can come up with.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Looked around for a while online, and didn't find quite what I have in mind. The big three tiered racks stores use are way too big (and expensive), but are the general idea I have in mind. I figure two levels so it'll fit against the wall under the guitars, the bottom shelf tilted back so the lower amps point up like they have tiltback legs, plenty of breathing room for tubes, and portable (or at least not fixed in place). I'll take some measurements this week and see what I can come up with.
What a great idea to have a tilted shelf. Looking forward to see some completed pics. Do you think you'll go through with the build?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
You might also search/google Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Vince Gill - guitar magazines often post articles and pictures - Rig Rundowns - and these guys are amp collectors and users, with unlimited resources..

Best luck, sounds like a great project.
I saw some nice solutions once in a shot of a Tom Petty rehearsal space and also one from Jeff Tweedy of Wilco. FUN project! Mine, unfortunately, would be small!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:24 PM

If it's to be portable, perhaps it would be more convenient to have just one mains plug. You could fit sockets to the frame, one for each amp, and then these could be connected to one mains supply point. Double check all the grounds - you wouldn't want to be the ground

Once it's powered up there are all sorts of options as well as hover fans. Beer cooler? Lighting? "Mood" lighting in the room might make it hard to see the controls so you could have subtle lights mounted on the frame which always keep them illuminated.

What about mic fittings eg some kind of moveable arm with a shock mount on the end? It would have to be something quicker and easier to setup than an ordinary mic stand or there wouldn't be any point, and even then only if you do a lot of recording.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What a great idea to have a tilted shelf. Looking forward to see some completed pics. Do you think you'll go through with the build?
You know, I think I may. I've got a half sheet of MDF somewhere in the garage to build a couple of prototypes from and see what might work as far as shape and size. Then I'll have to figure out what joinery methods for solid wood construction I want to use, hardware, etc. This could be fun.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars