The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: Is a free guitar too expensive?
Lug it home on the train and get it fixed 4 100.00%
Buy a 2nd hand one locally cheaper than getting it fixed 0 0%
Even a new Encore (or similar) will be cheaper 0 0%
I'm a guitar snob, I can't bear the idea of playing on an Encore 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Default Cheap electric bass - worth restoring?

I'm visiting my mother who has an Encore bass guitar. It works but the knobs crackle badly and it only seems to work with volume turned up to full.

I know Encore is a starter guitar - is getting a free 2nd hand one fixed worth it, or would buying a working 2nd hand one be cheaper than this? I've never played bass so I just want a working one to muck about on and see if I enjoy it enough to branch out from regular guitars!
Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 AM

take it home, repair it best you can and either keep it or sell it if you can't repair it. you'll learn a lot in the process.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM

Could be as simple as a shot or two of contact cleaner into the pots and exercise them a few times, or maybe a couple of new pots and a few minutes of soldering.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 AM

As Clint says the pots probably just need a good cleaning - if not, replacement is easy enough; FWIW there's a minor resurgence of interest in these first-wave Japanese guitars, so if it's in any kind of playable shape do the work to get the electronics up to snuff and put on some new strings (I'd recommend light-gauge flatwounds - that's how they came from the factory back in the early/mid-60's) - could be worth a few quid in trade when you're ready to step up to something better...
Old 07-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Even if you have to replace the pots it's no big deal. They're cheap and easy to obtain. If you have basic soldering skills you can easily install them yourself.

Musicians Friend has bass strings for as low as 9 bucks if you're looking to keep costs down.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Could be as simple as a shot or two of contact cleaner into the pots and exercise them a few times, or maybe a couple of new pots and a few minutes of soldering.
What kind of cleaner... Literally search "contact cleaner"?

Realistically not into soldering myself as I have neither the equipment or skill, but that sounds like something that would be very cheap to have done?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:06 AM

Yup. Electronic repair stores like Radio Shack carry the stuff in aerosol cans. Just spray a quick shot of the stuff into the body of the potentiometer and give it a few twists to spread it around and remove grime from the contacts inside. As far as replacing the pots, I don't know what the going rate is for your area but it shouldn't be super expensive - maybe $20-30 in parts plus labor. It's a very straightforward job unless you're dealing with a semi-hollow or hollow body electric.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
take it home, repair it best you can and either keep it or sell it if you can't repair it. you'll learn a lot in the process.

play music!
+1. You learn a lot when you start working on guitar electronics. Great skills to have. Best thing is if you mess it up, there's no real loss. If you really don't want to start soldering and working with the pots then I say leave it behind and buy something that works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars