The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2024, 08:50 AM

AX, I've got nothing for you on the Helix, but I wanted to add my condolences to the loss of your loving dog. I'm really sorry to hear it and I wish there was something we could say or do to ease the pain, but there's not.

We've always been a multi-dog family, so we've been through this many times, and most of our dogs have been rescue dogs. When we adopt a dog, we know that they are going to break our hearts some day. But, try as we may to prepare for that day and rationalize in our minds that we gave them a great life, it never gets any easier. In fact, as I get older, it just seems to get harder and harder, and there's nothing anyone can say or do to lessen the pain.

The last one we lost was 3 years ago. Her name was Molly and she was really bonded with my wife. We lost her on the same day we found out my wife had cancer and we still miss her terribly, my wife especially so.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
AX, I've got nothing for you on the Helix, but I wanted to add my condolences to the loss of your loving dog. I'm really sorry to hear it and I wish there was something we could say or do to ease the pain, but there's not.

We've always been a multi-dog family, so we've been through this many times, and most of our dogs have been rescue dogs. When we adopt a dog, we know that they are going to break our hearts some day. But, try as we may to prepare for that day and rationalize in our minds that we gave them a great life, it never gets any easier. In fact, as I get older, it just seems to get harder and harder, and there's nothing anyone can say or do to lessen the pain.

The last one we lost was 3 years ago. Her name was Molly and she was really bonded with my wife. We lost her on the same day we found out my wife had cancer and we still miss her terribly, my wife especially so.
Thanks, GP. This was a tough one. With all of her titles, she was more accomplished than I am, and she was a better companion to my wife and me than I ever was to anyone. I keep trying to distract myself by focussing on my interests, but I'm not doing a very good job.
Old 02-18-2024, 07:24 PM

i didn't read through the whole thread, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. I've always been a tube amp lover, but I also (primarily for recording purposes) invested in the digital world pretty quickly. We've certainly come a long, long way. I try to keep up with the trends, so here is my current take. I do not chase a whole bunch of different amp sounds. On a desert island, I would forever be happy with a tweed deluxe and probably more so a Vox AC-15. I'd be the Vox for the edge of break-up rhythm sounds and the Tweed for break-neck, turn it up til it gives up and crunches.

For me, the new Universal Audio Ruby pedal is just simply a stunning re-creation of a Vox AC. I'm convinced it sounds better than the real thing in a recording environment. It is like being in a room with an AC-15. Probably equally as stunning is the Neural Tone King Imperial MK software. Like the Ruby pedal, this software only does one amp, but it does one so completely convincingly that it has risen to the top of my list.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:01 PM

Well, I found a great deal on a Dream 65, and now have one on the way. The demos I heard of the Ruby were so nice, but never having played an actual AC15, I had to stick to what I know. It's supposed to arrive Thursday.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:20 AM

Before this thread fades off to history, I thought I'd update my modeling initiative in case my experience is useful to someone in the future.

To briefly recap, I began experimenting with modelers 15 months ago with a Mustang Micro followed by a Spark 40. The former was good for testing guitars in music stores, while the latter became my major practice tool. In both cases, I used headphones exclusively, and I liked the fact that I could feed in backing tracks via Bluetooth. I'm a one-man band in a guitar store, and no one is the wiser. I also became the world's greatest fan of the Spark. IMHO, there is no better product with which to begin a modeling journey.

I wanted to upgrade this year, because there were a couple of tones that I couldn't quite capture with the Spark. I also wanted to learn more about modeling, because I think it's the future. I began with a Line 6 Pod Go, which was a very nice unit. Unfortunately, mine arrived without a working expression pedal, so I sent it back. On the advice of Jeff McErlain, I got a Fractal FM3. I found it too complex to use and never got anything good out of it, so I sent it back. Instead, I followed Bob Womack's advice and got a Helix LT, which I've had operational for about a month.

• Message #1 is that Line 6 products are a heck of a lot easier to use than Fractal, and Womack's advice should be honored.

The next lesson I learned is that most modelers are "core audio" devices and hooking them to your computer via USB disables your computer's volume controls. Interestingly, the Spark was not such a device, and the USB hookup was a no brainer. But Helix and Fractal are, so USB becomes an unwelcome issue. The USB hookup is highly desirable for playing along with backing tracks, so some kind of work-around is necessary. One solution is to control USB input volume using the modeler's input level controls. Regrettably, these are generally buried deep in one of the Global Settings menus and not very convenient. Another solution is to use the volume control for whatever backing track software you are using. If you use several different types of software, this is a bit of a nuisance.

• Message #2 is that USB is wonderful but brings with it some annoying volume control complications.

The third lesson I learned is that using headphones as the exclusive output device didn't work. This came as a surprise, because it's not true with the Spark. The Spark seems to prefer headphones. But with both the Fractal and the Helix, in spite of the fact that I studied a whole series of training videos on how to optimize tones for headphones, I never got past the sense that I had two FRFR speakers stuck in my brain. So, I got a set of middle-of-the-road studio monitors (Yamaha HS5), and the ambience issue largely went away.

• So, message #3 is that you need monitors. Room ambience is a real thing. It doesn't need to be loud, but it needs to be there.

The fourth lesson was that I needed training...a lot of it. Simply learning what all the knobs and dials do isn't good enough. There's a lot to learn about modeling, and I've had to devote a considerable amount of time to learning it. Using built-in presets isn't helpful, because they're surprisingly terrible. Purchased presets are often no better, because they're not styled for your guitar and monitors. So, like flying an airplane, you're pretty much forced to know what you're doing.

• Message #4 is that you need training, probably hours and hours of it.

Fortunately, good training is available for free. The best trainer I found for learning the basics of the hardware was Scott Uhl (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMDE8u1azls). He talks at high speed and doesn't waste your time. Fortunately, YouTube has a pause button, and the Helix is pretty intuitive. Using the HX Edit software makes the whole operation even easier. I picked up the operational details pretty quickly.

The best trainer I found for learning the art of modeling was Jason Sadites, who has an extensive YouTube series on how to create Helix tones (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dan5...nPTPM5&index=4). He also has another series entitled "Dialing in..." in which he shows how he goes about creating certain tones. Both are valuable, but I don't recommend doing the second series until you've done the first.

In addition to Uhl and Sadites, there are hundreds of YouTubers who demonstrate their particular favorite tones. Chief among these is John Nathan Cordy, who tends toward the sort of flexible presets a wedding band guitarist might employ. That's a compliment, not an insult. There are also a lot of influencers who create metal tones, which for some reason appear to be favored among modeler users. Don't ask me why.

So, I think I'm on my way. If I'm any example, new modeler users will need to invest a lot of time acquiring competence. But that effort eventually pays off. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I've been able to construct tones that I couldn't coax out my Spark. What they won't need to invest is a lot of money. I don't have a house filled with amps and pedals. I pretty much have everything in one box. I even have a backpack to carry it!

• So, my final message is that this modeling stuff works and works well. YMMV, of course.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:40 AM

I played a gig Friday night with my Spark Go driving my QSC CP8 up on a pole. Saturday I practiced at home with my recently assembled Princeton Reverb. I was very happy with both but somehow feel like the real thing is better, at least in my living room. I think this comes down to:
  • Observer bias.
  • That I’m not expecting usable distortion at reasonable volumes practicing at home.
  • Finally that the Princeton is always 100% of what it can be. I never bother with the QSC up on a pole at home where set to flat response it’s going to put my modelers in their best light.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-18-2024, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I played a gig Friday night with my Spark Go driving my QSC CP8 up on a pole. Saturday I practiced at home with my recently assembled Princeton Reverb. I was very happy with both but somehow feel like the real thing is better, at least in my living room.
I wouldn't argue with this for a second.

My love for the Spark has nothing to do with its ability to accurately model the real versions of any of its amps or pedals. I love it for its ability to produce a tone that I like listening to, one that inspires me to play. In fact, my favored tone, which is supposedly based on a JTM45 sounds nothing like a JTM45. However, it delivers a tone in that spirit. I've got a preset that covers my Les Paul from its lowest E to its highest D smoothly and beautifully, and it responds nicely to all the guitar's knob settings and pickup positions. I can literally do my entire repertoire with one guitar and one preset. Oh, to have had this 40 years ago. I coulda been a contenda!

Now, the Helix is different. The JTM45 setting I've developed for that unit is a dead ringer for an actual Series 2 JTM45. It's pretty darned cool hearing Beano tone coming out of my monitors. Interestingly, it's less usable. It covers all the British blues things I like to do, but I need other presets for other styles and tones. So, I'm better off in the authenticity department, but worse off in the flexibility department. I can get more out of the Helix, but I've got to create more presets and punch more buttons to do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars