The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-14-2024, 04:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My field is sort of a "paradigm-buster," if you will. I do most of my playing in the recording studio. I do both record work and soundtrack work for film and video. That covers a lot of territory, but virtually none of it uses pickups and amps for acoustic guitar. I may be asked to play or compose and play a solo classical piece or a solo steel-string piece. Nuance. I may be asked to accompany a singer/songwriter. Believe it or not, in the studio, that requires the same nuance as you expect in a solo player. I may be asked to play on or create an ensemble piece. In the studio, perfect instrument tone and playing to fit into a mix is a must. So, nuance.

The same is true with electric guitar. If I am the producer, the song may call for a particular sound and type of playing. If I am playing on someone else's recording, they may want a particular sound. I have to know what particular guitar, amp, and effects are needed to create that sound. Very nuanced.

So I cover the waterfront, but just a different chunk o' the river.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-14-2024, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Definitely group 2. It's just that simple.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:25 AM

I'm in the second category other than I don't write much, my brain is too occupied to sit down and come up with hooks.lol
My guitar is secondary to my singing or in other words, I play to accompany my voice.
So guitar tone isn't as critical to me to a point, But I do take steps to be at least passable
Old 03-18-2024, 07:14 AM

I'm definitely in 1 and 2. Duo and trio mainly, occasionally a 5 piece with drums/bass/KB/two guitars.

Each show presents its own issues which I can deal with as I understand the expectations required.

Trying to find the same 'sound' for all gigs is futile.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification