The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Glenn, that was just great!
That particular song brings back so many fond memories. It's always been one of my favorites.
There's only one way to give it that "ethereal" feel along with the vocals, and that's with a 12 string. It just pulls you in. Nicely done!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Another home run!!!

Love that song

Some guitars
Old 09-20-2017, 09:33 AM

Love it! Nice sound on 12-string also, I tried it once and just couldn't play it, too much strings hahaha
Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Great job as usual, Glenn!

A question about your recording method: Are you running the mic and guitar through a audio interface and then merging the separate audio with the video?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

That brought back some wonderful memories Glen I had just got married and was working in Bristol in the mid sixties and was a huge fan of S & G. Thank you
Old 09-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Glenn, that was just great!
That particular song brings back so many fond memories. It's always been one of my favorites.
There's only one way to give it that "ethereal" feel along with the vocals, and that's with a 12 string. It just pulls you in. Nicely done!
Thank you very much Andre!

Thanks for your thoughts and for letting me know you enjoyed this! I do agree, that song really needs the 12-string guitar!

Regards,
Glenn
Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Texas View Post
Another home run!!!

Love that song
Hi Tybor!

Thanks so much! I'm delighted that you like this rendition! And I very much appreciate your taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoMarkus View Post
Love it! Nice sound on 12-string also, I tried it once and just couldn't play it, too much strings hahaha
Hi Marko!

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and comment! I'm very gratified that you liked this song!

The 12-string does have a lot of strings! If you are not used to it, it feels like you are putting your fingers across a whole table of strings! For me, I started playing a 12-string when I was 18 years old back in 1966, and I have always had a 12-string at home to use ever since. I am a longtime 12-string player. So I am used to all those strings!

Thanks so much Andre!

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Great job as usual, Glenn!

A question about your recording method: Are you running the mic and guitar through a audio interface and then merging the separate audio with the video?
Hi IPA!

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment! I'm really pleased that you liked this!

Regarding my recording method, yes, I am recording the audio separately from the video and then synching the tracks up later in a video editing program. By doing this, I can get much higher quality audio, which is very important to me, personally.

I have two small diaphragm condenser mics, Rhode NT5 but with optional omni capsules used, panned full left and right on the guitar. I use a large diaphragm condenser vocal mic, an Audio Technica AT4050. These 3 mics go through tube preamps and then into an audio interface into my computer where I use Steinberg Cubase for recording the voice and the two guitar channels. I mix this down to a 2-track master as a wave file and then import that into the video editing program, which is Adobe Premier Elements.

I am using 3 canon video cameras. Once I start the audio recording program and all 3 cameras I sit down in front of the cameras and make a loud hand clap. Then I record the song. Later I can trim all the audio and video files to the very beginning of that hand clap and synchronize everything in the video editing program. Once everything is sycned up properly, I erase the audio channels from the video cameras, which sound pretty lousy compared to the Cubase audio recording.

I hope all that makes sense. If you need more information, please PM me and I will be glad to help further.

Regards,
Glenn
Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George6654 View Post
That brought back some wonderful memories Glen I had just got married and was working in Bristol in the mid sixties and was a huge fan of S & G. Thank you
Hi George,

Thank you so much for commenting! I'm so pleased that you liked this rendition!

And I'm so glad that my version of this song was helpful in awakening some of those wonderful memories of just getting married. I remember that time so intensely, myself.

Thanks again, George!

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2017, 07:28 PM

Wow!

I first heard that song on Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme and never cared for it all that much. Loved the album, but that cut, not so much. Your version just blew me away!

Great playing, even better vocals!

Well done, very well done.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggie242 View Post
Wow!

I first heard that song on Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme and never cared for it all that much. Loved the album, but that cut, not so much. Your version just blew me away!

Great playing, even better vocals!

Well done, very well done.
Thank you very much, Augie! I am really flattered that you liked this rendition! In fact, your enthusiasm pretty much has made my day!

And thanks so much for commenting here! I appreciate your taking the time!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Fred,

There are some challenges in this song, both vocally and instrumentally, but it helps that I have been playing this song for so long.

- Glenn
Some challenges indeed! And you met them. Clean 12 string playing, and handling the upper range in the vocal line. Not easy!

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Some challenges indeed! And you met them. Clean 12 string playing, and handling the upper range in the vocal line. Not easy!
Hi Frank!

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your vote of confidence and also your taking the time to comment here!

- Glenn
Old 09-21-2017, 02:15 PM

That's a great recording Glenn. So many of the songs you post are ones that I've played through the years. I used to play this one for wedding gigs a fair bit. Hearing you do it on that gorgeous Guild gives me another piece of evidence for my file titled "Why I need a Guild F512".

Beautiful.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell