The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-22-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj View Post
Hi Guys,

I need some advice on live sound. I plan to do small home concert for say 30 people. Guitar and a bunch of other (3-4) instruments. I need two speakers, two monitors, 4 mics, mic stands, a mixer.

Should I go for those packages? Or should I buy individual items?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gear-One...ors-Package.gc

I get one of those 20% of guitar center coupons that can apply to a package which can be considered a single item.

What do you guys advice?
Hi Raj,

Tell us more about the music and the instrumentation and describe the size of the room and the sort of listening levels you're looking to project in this context.

That and a budget will get you some more workable recommendations about what you'll need to get a balanced mix and project it properly in this situation.

Louis
Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Default Thanks

Sure Louis. Thanks.

Budget: $1000
Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard, Harmonium, Indial classical vocals, Tabla (percussion - consider similar to bongos for the purpose of this discussion)
Type of music: Indian classical, A little bit of Pop/Fusion
Size of the room: 30ft X 20ft
Listening Levels: Not too loud - not really sure how to describe this
Old 08-23-2017, 06:58 AM

Default Live Sound Advice Needed

Quote:
Sure Louis. Thanks.

Instruments: Guitar, Keyboard, Harmonium, Indial classical vocals, Tabla (percussion - consider similar to bongos for the purpose of this discussion)

Raj, how many channels do you need in total?

I would suggest you take a gander at Carvin Audio. They are an independent US based (California) pro audio manufacturer and they offer several different packaged PA systems. My suspicion is that you need a minimum of 8 channels (assuming singers too).

This is not junk like some of the big box stores are selling. This is legitimate pro audio gear direct from the manufacturer. It may look a little dated in design, but they are full featured and built for the road.

Consider the following, and add $120 to the prices for a pair of proper speaker stands. You'll need to add another $30 for each mic stand that you need. I believe you'll be very close to your budget with the first option if you don't need more than 2 mic stands.

https://carvinaudio.com/collections/...nnel-pa-system

https://carvinaudio.com/collections/...lete-pa-system

https://carvinaudio.com/collections/...lete-pa-system

Last edited by martingitdave; 08-23-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Sure Louis. Thanks.

Do you expect to ever play larger venues? That's a small room, you won't need much power for it, but if you are set up along the 30' wall, you'll need to speakers to spread the sound out.

The Carvin systems by Dave are nice, but I prefer non-powered mixers and powered speakers - only because they allow easy expansion: adding more/big speakers for larger venues, or monitors.

Mixer - as many channels/mic preamps as you need now PLUS a couple of extra for future expansion.
There are many choices of gear, here's a sample system:
One example" This Mackie: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1202VLZ4 $270
Powered speakers: Peavy's https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM112 $300 X 2 (maybe you can get away with 1 to start with)
Mics - 1 SM58 (Vocal) 1 SM57 (instrument) $99 X 2
Speaker stands, mic stands and cables will complete the system.

You can often find many system components used for a much better deal.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Sure Louis. Thanks.

My sense is that with that budget, that size room, and that kind level requirement, you would do best to get a decent 10" or 12" powered PA speaker that can be put up on a tripod stand behind you and up over head height, plus a mixer with enough inputs (I'm guessing 8 at the very least, but I'd recommend at least 12 mono XLR inputs and at least one stereo channel for the keyboard).

I'm guessing that you won't need monitors in this situation nor will the levels be so loud that feedback will be much of an issue, although you'll need to be careful about mic placement.

This would be a system that could be easily expanded as your needs grow. You'd just have to buy more powered speakers. And the investment in a used analog mixer--they are dirt cheap right now--will be small enough that buying a bigger, more capable mixer--maybe a digital one--in the future won't be out of the question.

I'm thinking maybe something like a Yamaha DBR10 and a used analog mixer (A&H, Yamaha, Mackie, Soundcraft) with the right number of channels. That should leave you some cash for the speaker stand, mic stands, and maybe some decent used mics (Shure SM58's or Blue Encore 100's for the vocalists and some SM57's for the harmonium and the tablas). Plus cabling. Tight, but doable and, as I said, expandable in the future.

Louis
Old 08-25-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will let you guys know what I decide.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Amplification is needed not just to make it loud. It's needed to provide balance between instruments. Acoustic guitar would not be heard if you have an instrument like harmonium playing along with it. Also monitors are great for players.

I don't want to rent it. We do this often enough. So I want to buy.

Any particular brand recommendations?
Well even $1000 is a pretty limited, it may well be better to rent until you can put together something at the very least of perhaps twice that amount if not four times. Of course do what you think you should , just my honest thoughts
BTW if your music is anything like some of performances coming out of the Coke Studio India MTV series I absolutely love that blend of classic and contemporary pop/fusion etc.

And with the instruments the possibilities are expansive .....this is really a cool cover of Big Hard Sun

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-26-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:24 PM

The only weak link in your original posted Sound system, Raj, is the microphones. You can purchase a 3 pack of DRI100 instrument/vocal microphones for $59 bucks that have amazing frequency response for the price. The only caveat of the DRI100 microphones is handling noise. This is a non issue if the microphones are stand mounted and the stands are placed on carpet. Ric
Old 08-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

For a crowd that size and the fact it's a "listening room" style show being a house concert, you won't need much. I think you'd love the sound and simplicity of an AER Compact 60 or a Henriksen Bud. I have the Bud and I've even played it in a small bar. They sound remarkable as do the AER's. If you wanna save some dough, the Roland or even a Fender Acoustasonic would do the trick. The PA you're looking at would be more for playing in a noisy bar or if you drove a full band with it.
Martin 1966 D-21
MARTIN M-30 JORMA 1933 Shaded top (Dazzo)
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Sunburst #444
MARTIN 2009 000-28M Plain top #26
MARTIN 2018 D-18GE Sinker

and...
Old 08-28-2017, 07:34 AM

I use a little Roland AC 60 for quiet dining rooms, like in country clubs, and 2 Mackie 350s for bars and restaurants. Thirty people can make a lot of noise depending on the scene. What's the scoop with this gig?

Is it like a house concert or in a small auditorium? People in rows listening? All-acoustic would be really nice in a setting like that.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
There are a couple of things that only you can answer, but as a constant public performer I'd say that having at least a small system is an important thing to own...unless you think you'd never use it.

I'm pretty flabbergasted at the posts saying that no system is needed for 30 people, without even knowing what kind of music you're going to be playing or what type of audience you'll have, because those are the two unknown, and yet most important points in determining whether you can play unamplified or not.

Before any of the no-amps-needed jump to any conclusions about my perspective, I've played for as many as 50, unamplified down on the ocean beach many times, but context is what matters most.

That established, it's also important to note if the OP is going to be doing lots of singing and how big of a voice he's got or if they're going to be a bluegrass band. The former situation will always benefit from miking, at very least for vocals, and the latter is the format that I personally think is most acceptable for straight acoustic performances.

How much time do you have to get this thing together and will there be a set performance time and area, or will this just be in the background while people hang out and visit with you in the background?

My present perspective makes me like the idea of a JBL Eon One system with a small mixer, which will offer quick setup, minimal space requirements, excellent area coverage and no need to mess around with monitors or speaker stands.

As for the cheap microphones in the system you linked, nothing more annoying than cheap mics and if you could at least find some used Shure 58's, you'd be way ahead, or better yet, a group of the now ubiquitous, excellent and highly rated Sennheiser 835's.
Don't be too flabbergasted. Its a house concert, so people will be pretty silent.

I traditional PA will be too much IMHO. Less is more.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Guest4562

Quote:
Amplification is needed not just to make it loud. It's needed to provide balance between instruments. Acoustic guitar would not be heard if you have an instrument like harmonium playing along with it. Also monitors are great for players.

I don't want to rent it. We do this often enough. So I want to buy.

Any particular brand recommendations?
Absolutely agree that the PA does more than just amplify and I do feel that 30 people is enough for a PA. The only time I don't use a PA is informal jams with friends.

As for equipment: Mic stands you don't need top of the line stuff. There are online packages of six mic stands/booms with a carry bag combos for notta-lotta bucks. Mics themselves - vocals SM58s, instruments SM57s. Cables -Pro-Co is fine, you don't need Monster Cables. Mixer Behringer. PA, Don't skimp here. Bose L1C. It will handle this gig and a lot more. This is essentially our basic set up and works extremely well for all that we do.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:00 PM

Hello Raj,
I sent you a PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:23 PM

Hi Raj,

For your budget, you could get a couple of used powered speakers - I like either FBT Max 2As (10" plus horn) or 4A (12" plus horn).

Add a small Mackie mixer, cables, stands, and a couple of SM58s or SM57 mics. Might even get a small DI or two if you hunt carefully.

That'll stand you in good stead and support most small acts in style. And it won't break the bank or create storage nightmares.

mh
Old 08-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodi_55 View Post
Don't be too flabbergasted. Its a house concert, so people will be pretty silent.

I traditional PA will be too much IMHO. Less is more.
You apparently didn't get the drift of my post. People weighing in with nothing but numbers of attendees saying that no sound reinforcement is necessary are making all too many assumptions as to how loud they will or won't be and you had the advantage of the updated thread to suggest that people will be quiet and focused.

Less is only less when it's not enough and more is perfect when necessary.

And this is coming from a guy who just played the last hour and a half Saturday on the other side of the room from his microphone.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification