The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-30-2017, 02:25 PM

Just another opinion based on personal use. If not wholly money bound, get something you'll reuse with a larger venue. The best microphones you can buy. That's the best advice. I use separate mixer, EV Q66 amp when needed, EV speakers, cybertwin amp powered and a line out into PA if needed, EV767 microphones, mic a Blues Jr. when desired. Pick part of your set up to fit the venue and go to town. Do your set up in advance. �� Good luck!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 PM

Default house concert setup

We sponsor house concerts here (www.rockytopconcert.weebly.com). Some performers don't want a sound system and for those that don't, they don't do badly. Most do, however. We don't use monitors and no one, audience or performer, has never complained or said they felt they were needed. Stands cold be done away with as in a house you surely have something that can be used to get them to the right height. One speaker will suffice. Decent mikes can be bought used - for that matter so can everything else. That's something to consider seriously. A good used system can be had for the price of a poorer but new one, and will probably last longer.

Are you the kind of person who appreciates quality? If you are, you may expect to find yourself involved in a series of upgrades. Or is price more important? You have found a good buy there. Your answers will help to determine which is best for you.

Have you thought about adding a donation bucket for system upgrades? You mention you will be doing more of these (they are fun, too!). If you plan on doing them and have the money, it might pay you to get better at the start.

Here, I use a Bose Compact and we get lots of compliments. It goes into a small mixer and I don't need long cords. I have decent mikes (Audix i5s and OM5s and for 4 mikes, 2 performers, I use just 2 stands, each with a gooseneck for the instrument mike. The place to save money first is on things that have minimal contribution to sound quality (stands, for example).

I hope these comments prove useful to you and that you end up with something you are delighted with.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 09-01-2017 at 04:54 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification