The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-28-2017, 01:30 PM

Question Is this a proper K&K Installation?

So as as I've mentioned I'm having some trouble getting a sound to my liking out of the K&K pure mini installed on this Martin 000-15m. I'm wondering if any of you who have installed a few can let me know if you see anything off about this installation?

I had this installed by a "pro" luthier (not a music store employee, but a full time guitar builder) while I normally trust his work 100% I've gotten the impression as of late that he might be just "phoning it in" when it comes to my projects (the guy does guitar repair for big Canadian musician and stuff and can sometimes be a bit... dismissive?)

I've also attached a recording I made with the guitar plugged directly into a Zoom h5n with no compression, or processing what so ever. And yes, it does sound better with my redeye preamp, but it I'm wondering what people who know this pickup think of how it's sounding? Is this par for the course when it comes to K&K's sound?

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/user-47270832...tin-000-15mwav
Old 08-28-2017, 01:39 PM

The glue work is a bit sloppy by my standards, but the pickup heads are in the right positions and appear to be glued properly. It looks like whatever putty he used to attach the heads to his installation tool could still be cleaned off. It sounds like it could use some EQ but is otherwise reasonable for that type of PUP.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-28-2017, 01:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

The sound clip sounds brighter than I would expect, but that's likely due to the low input impedance of the zoom. I'd expect more bass if plugged into the redeye. How's the individual balance from string to string?
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 08-28-2017, 02:16 PM

Thanks for input, Jon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
The sound clip sounds brighter than I would expect, but that's likely due to the low input impedance of the zoom. I'd expect more bass if plugged into the redeye. How's the individual balance from string to string?
It is indeed quite a deal warmer through the redeye. The individual balance seems alright I suppose. That's not the kind of thing that I'm adapt at discerning though. I made a quick recording of each string one by one. What do you think?

https://soundcloud.com/user-472708321/zoom0065-tr2wav
Old 08-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoken View Post
Thanks for input, Jon!

It is indeed quite a deal warmer through the redeye. The individual balance seems alright I suppose. That's not the kind of thing that I'm adapt at discerning though. I made a quick recording of each string one by one. What do you think?

Hi z
I'd love hear it through the RedEye (presuming that's how you will use it live). In fact I'd prefer it. That would tell us more...

I have K&K dual sources installed in 4 personal guitars, but have never recorded them without a preamp (and then only for fun not for serious recording).

K&K dual source, Raven PMB I direct into a Zoom H4 (2008), prepped in Audacity…CLiCk

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-28-2017, 02:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for input, Jon!

Sounds okay. I'd say the installation is fine.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 08-28-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi z
I'd love hear it through the RedEye (presuming that's how you will use it live). In fact I'd prefer it. That would tell us more...
Here you go ljguitar. It's a direct line to the Zoom without any EQing other than the redeye treble adjustment.

Your recordings sound lovely, btw. I would love for mine to come close to those. However the most trouble I'm having is when running the this guitar through my AC-33, it sounds almost as if it's peaking or slightly distorted. I figured I'd remove the AC-33 first and see if everything is working fine, then see about the amp.

I have a very similar guitar with the K&K installed and that sounds (to me) really different through the ac-33. Perhaps I will have to live record both the guitars through the amp for you all to hear what I'm hearing.

But first I figure I should check with you all if the installation is all good and if there isn't a problem there.

https://soundcloud.com/user-472708321/zoom0059-tr2wav
Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 PM

It's difficult to get all the putty off at first, but the installation looks ok to me. I think it sounds fine, too. It's tough to compare with Larry's because he uses the dual source with the microphone, apples to pears. Recording direct also feels a bit artificial, try it through a PA system. You may also need good eq for your liking, my favorite preamp for the K&K is the Radial PZ-Deluxe, it has great eq. Or, maybe you just don't like the K&K in that guitar.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akafloyd View Post
It's tough to compare with Larry's because he uses the dual source with the microphone, apples to pears. Recording direct also feels a bit artificial, try it through a PA system
Agreed. I'm not expecting a direct recording to sound natural by any means. These sound files are just to get a sense that the pickup is working as it should. As I mentioned above, the issue I'm having is more with the guitar through my AC-33, but I wanted to first eliminate any potential installation issues.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here you go ljguitar. It's a direct line to the Zoom without any EQing other than the redeye treble adjustment.

Your recordings sound lovely, btw. I would love for mine to come close to those. However the most trouble I'm having is when running the this guitar through my AC-33, it sounds almost as if it's peaking or slightly distorted. I figured I'd remove the AC-33 first and see if everything is working fine, then see about the amp.

I have a very similar guitar with the K&K installed and that sounds (to me) really different through the ac-33. Perhaps I will have to live record both the guitars through the amp for you all to hear what I'm hearing.

But first I figure I should check with you all if the installation is all good and if there isn't a problem there.

https://soundcloud.com/user-472708321/zoom0059-tr2wav
Hi Z
Wow there is nothing there to complain about. Great sound, very guitar-like.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification