The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-29-2017, 03:06 AM

Question Headway Pickups?

Looking for a pickup for a nylon string classical guitar, being in the u.k. the headway pickups seemed to be a good idea. Has anyone any experience with these pickups, i notice the actual pickup coax cable appears to be round, does the saddle slot floor have to be routed to suit?
http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/product/he4g-nyl/
Thanks
Rob
Old 08-29-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKay View Post
Looking for a pickup for a nylon string classical guitar, being in the u.k. the headway pickups seemed to be a good idea. Has anyone any experience with these pickups, i notice the actual pickup coax cable appears to be round, does the saddle slot floor have to be routed to suit?
http://www.headwaymusicaudio.com/product/he4g-nyl/
Thanks
Rob
I have one in my Octave Mandolin. A popular band here in Canada, Great Big Sea, uses Headway pickups in their mandolins and bouzoukis so I figured I would give it a try. My OM sounds huge through the PA. Was just discussing with one of my band members about how my Octave Mandolin always sound incredible plugged in. It takes little tweaking, the signal is super hot and it gives me that larger than life tone.

The issue is with the routed saddle. In my particular case, my saddle/bridge were one piece and if you removed the strings, it would fall off. It's pretty standard on octave mandolins. My luthier did an incredible job on the install but I remember at first he advised me to potentially look into another pickup. Won't be hard to install in an actual guitar, it will just require that routed out saddle which some people don't like.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:27 PM

I have one in my main guitar - very pleased with it. I don't think it is difficult for a tech to fit.
Martin J40

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification