The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Help me choose an alternative vacation plan

My wife got her bonus and it's burning a hole in her pocket. She wants to go on a cruise and is outspoken on jumping on booking it ASAP. I'm ex-Navy, was based on the east coast and after nearly a dozen Caribbean vacations (including two cruises, two trips to Paradise Island in the Bahamas, two trips to Aruba, three Disney vacations and another to Universal Studios) I'm basically done with the Caribbean and being confined on a crowded ship and I told her that I didn't like the idea at all. Now I'm suffering the silent treatment and am looking for a way to dig myself out of the hole I've dug myself into. The only out I have is to come up with an alternative.

That's not to say that I'm completely poo-pooing going back to Florida (I've never been to the Keys) but this would be in June and as such weather would not be an issue so there are greater possibilities. Plus, I hate how HOT Florida gets in the summer months. I'd much rather vacation in the mountains or somewhere up in Canada.

I'm not going to consider the possibility of us going on separate vacations because there are children involved and this is as much for them as it is for my wife. I'd be content to just go visit friends or family and stay in a hotel but to my wife we've also "been there, done that" and she wants to be pampered. So far I've offered up several counterproposals and they've been poo-pooed back:

- I have relatives who live near Lake Tahoe, including an elderly aunt who is unable to travel and has never met my 11yo son. That idea was discounted as flying into Reno has been a hassle and is "too far." *bangs head on wall*

- she has expressed a desire to take our youngest son up to Niagara Falls in the summer. We are VERY familiar with the area and it's reasonably close to us so I saw this as an opportunity. She said it was not enough for a whole week so I figured stretching it out to include an additional side trip up to Toronto might. That was not met with approval either.

So I'm struggling for other ideas for a vacation that is adult friendly but not "cringe" (as my 11 year old describes much of our ideas of fun.) Bear in mind that we live in western Pennsylvania so even a "day trip" to anywhere is at least a 5-6 hour trip by car. Please help before I become a Clark W. Griswold!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Bar Harbor, Maine
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

In June. How about an Alaska costal cruse

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 AM

How about Hawaii?

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:43 AM

From the sounds of it, the female's feelings have been hurt.

Based on my experience, there will NOT be any correct answer (or happiness in the household) until the hurt feelings are atoned for.

That means any "good" vacation ideas will be wasted until the female is happy again.

Good luck on this one!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:45 AM

If you can "guilt" your wife into the Sierra trip, you won't regret it!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:54 AM

If your wife wants ocean and warm you could do the Caribbean in a way the masses don't do. We've rented a house on Grand Cayman many times and I shake my head when I see the cruise people come in vs what we do on our own. That's a place that's safe and where all ages can enjoy the tremendous water quality.

If you're in W. PA, consider the Great Lakes if this idea s a summer vacation. Collectively we're a well travelled family with some not US citizens and we all agree on the beautiful places around Lake Superior. A somewhat recent trip to Henry Ford Museum complex was really great with nice additions to it. Cross to Canada, enjoy the Lake Michigan shore and take one of the ferries across the lake.

This summer we're planning on a western trip but great national parks not quite as popular as some to better deal with crowds. We're not yet decided on drive all the way or fly and rent from the place linked below.

If you're flying keep in mind airfare and vehicle rental is generally lower cost at hub locations. Doing some homework I've seen renting a minivan in Oakland is cheaper than a ski area town as an example.

These folks can be the basis for a very good trip. Not as cumbersome as a full on motor home. They will line you up with rentals and guides for activities so you don't have to bring your bike, fishing gear, whatever. As an example fly to Denver and then have your rental car and camping taken care of in the same deal.

http://www.campervannorthamerica.com

There are other camper van options but I know these folks are quality.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Musical minimalist

Good friends of mine took a cruise off the eastern coast of Canada and Maine last year and really enjoyed it. Might want to wait for late June for that though

Old 03-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
If you can "guilt" your wife into the Sierra trip, you won't regret it!
The "guilt" your wife concept is totally unknown to me. Has it ever been successfully done?

Neil: Here's a saying I just made up - "Happy wife - happy life"

(OK, I didn't originate it, but have come to agree with it's intention) I see a cruise in your future.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Good friends of mine took a cruise off the eastern coast of Canada and Maine last year and really enjoyed it. Might want to wait for late June for that though
Now THIS is an excellent suggestion!
Old 03-21-2018, 10:04 AM

Compromise! Take a River Cruise. The boats seldom have more than 100 people. It's in the US. No Sea State 7 (ex Navy myself).

Look here:

https://www.americancruiselines.com

Cincy
Old 03-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Alaska .......
Old 03-21-2018, 10:18 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
The "guilt" your wife concept is totally unknown to me. Has it ever been successfully done?

Neil: Here's a saying I just made up - "Happy wife - happy life"

(OK, I didn't originate it, but have come to agree with it's intention) I see a cruise in your future.
"Ain't nobody happy unless Momma's happy"

Old 03-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
The "guilt" your wife concept is totally unknown to me. Has it ever been successfully done?...I see a cruise in your future.
We've been through the same classes apparently.

Seriously though, it's your wife's bonus so let her choose the vacation (cruise) and you choose to enjoy it because it makes her happy. Any other course of action is pure folly.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:39 AM

BC Rain Forest cruise
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic