The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-07-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I believe you! I do it all the time, except I have to look at the music.
I don't know what type of music you are looking at. Is it sheet music? TAB? Chords and lyrics? Of course I'm sure most people look at something while in the learning stages of a song but eventually, play it enough and the muscle memory starts to kick in so you can scrap the paper.

If you're playing classical or something, I don't know enough about that to form an opinion.

It wasn't until I watched the movie Whiplash that I learned jazz players read off sheets. Or at least some of them do. I used to think they were all up their freestyling with their eyes closed.
Old 07-09-2023, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

There seems to be a few different takes on playing with eyes closed going on in this thread.

Closing your eyes whilst practicing - To eliminate one major sense (vision) to develop the kinaesthetic and auditory loop. This is a pretty sensible thing to try out; even if it is just to illuminate to yourself how much you rely on vision whilst playing. Which in itself may or may not be an issue. The important aspect is knowing that it is happening so you can decide and manage its significance.

Not looking at the guitar while performing - This is quite a separate aspect; now we are talking about stagecraft. Mark Knopfler et al may look at their guitar whilst soloing but it's eyes out to the audience when they sing. To be honest, you look bloody stupid staring at the audience when doing a lead break! It actually looks more natural if the performer is looking at their guitar. In fact, if you watch a band where the singer and lead player are two different people, then the singer will often watch the lead guitarist during the lead break, rather than staring at the audience, and they are not even playing the guitar!!! It looks natural and comfortable to look at the guitar at some points during a song, and weird if you don't! Conversely, it looks weird and unnatural (and somewhat incompetent) if you have to look at your guitar while singing. Looking during gaps in singing is fine.

Bottom line: closing your eyes whilst practicing is a good thing to try. And, practicing stagecraft is essential if you perform (which, if you play and sing, will involve a majority of the time looking at the audience not at your guitar).

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 07-09-2023 at 01:55 AM.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:33 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Generally I don't look at my fretting hand. If I'm doing a large jump, 2nd fret to 8th or 9th I will take a peek. Usually going to the 7th fret and below I'm fairly spatially acclimated.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-09-2023, 04:44 PM

I've also played guitar while asleep. I'd wake up and thought "wow, I'm glad that I didn't drop the guitar." (I've also ridden motorcycles while asleep; I'd wake up and think the same thing: "wow, I'm glad I didn't crash".)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write