The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-30-2023, 12:30 AM

Default Good Beginners book for acustic or electri

I just gave my grandson his first guitar. It's an electric Yamaha Pacifica 112v. A month ago he expressed his interest in learning to play. I asked him what style music he was interested in and the standards came up... Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Nirvana to mention a few. I was elated. But here is the dilemma. I play classical guitar, have for years and I can teach him the proper positions to hold the instrument and placement of the hand to fret the notes. I can also teach him how to read standard notation, play scales and chords and teach him how to maintain rhythm (timing), I have tons of Aaron Shearer's method books. But face it he'd get bored playing the pieces I know.

I am looking for some books that an electric guitar playing dude would need to learn how to play the songs he's interested in. I would really love a book that not only has the standard notation, but also turntable and hopefully, maybe even the chord grids above the measures.

Would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2023, 04:29 AM

Hello, have a look at the books by Gary Turner and Brenton white.
I recently bought one of their fingerpicking books and was amazed at the amount of free online stuff there is available, not just fingerstyle, beginners course, electric guitar, lead guitar, rythum and loads more.
Just make sure it does have the online access wording on the front cover as I'm not sure if they all do.
Hope this helps
Old 06-30-2023, 04:30 AM

I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but here goes:
  • Does he want to be a musician, or just a "guitar player"...?
  • Is he in it for the long haul, or is this merely something he thinks is cool right now...?
  • Does he have the patience to develop a solid foundation before he takes on the challenges of technically/harmonically advanced material, or is he more the "instant gratification" type...?
All the things I looked for in my own students over 40+ years BTW...

If he's serious I'd say go with the Shearer, supplement it with the good old Mel Bay method books (still unmatched for developing right-hand picking technique IME), and gradually introduce the material he's interested in as he develops the requisite skill set...

If not, there's plenty of stuff on the internet that he can pick up by rote right now - and when he realizes somewhere down the line he doesn't understand the how and why of what he's playing, you can be right there with the traditional approach he could/should have followed in the first place...,

All the best - to both of you...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-30-2023 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-30-2023, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Forget books,

Find the songs he wans to learn on YouTube (the original and the breakdown lessons - of which there will be hundreds) so he can access them at any time.

Teach him how to tune, how the pick-ups on his guitar work, how to dial tones into his amp etc. Teach him how to hold a guitar pick.

Pick a song he likes, and learn it with him. Show him what you are looking at and listening to as you learn it. Give him a easy part like a simple 4 beats to the bar single note bass line, while you play the chords. Sing it together.

All the technical theory bollocks will come after he has fun making music with you. Let him find his way into that as he needs to.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that how you learn is how anyone else learns. And knowing how to hold a guitar for classical is not going to help on electric - very different animals.

If he is keen then he will be beyond your help in a matter of weeks. If he is not keen then you will know very quickly.

Definitely forget books. Start with something like this:

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I realize I'm preaching to the choir, but here goes:
  • Does he want to be a musician, or just a "guitar player"...?
  • Is he in it for the long haul, or is this merely something he thinks is cool right now...?
  • Does he have the patience to develop a solid foundation before he takes on the challenges of technically/harmonically advanced material, ir is he more the "instant gratification" type...?
All the things I looked for in my own students over 40+ years BTW...

If he's serious I'd say go with the Shearer, supplement it with the good old Mel Bay method books (still unmatched for developing right-hand picking technique IME), and gradually introduce the material he's interested in as he develops the requisite skill set...
How many young students (I don't believe we have an age here) know if they want to be a musician or just a guitar player? (We should probably find a less pejorative way to express that)

25 of my 44 years teaching in schools was spent teaching elementary where students were 10 years old when they started. I'm pretty sure 99% of them had no idea what their musical future might look like (or even considered it). A bunch of them are band directors now, but I doubt any of them considered that possibility when they were just starting - I sure didn't.

Another consideration: how many good TAB only readers ever learn how to read music later in their career? I'm not sure, but from what I read on the forum it seems like a small number.

I think every beginner should go at least half way through Mel Bay book 1, which allows you to read in first position on all 6 strings. It only takes a couple of months for most to accomplish that. Love the Shearer books.

I find it's pretty easy to add a few TAB pop songs at the end of each lesson after a few months. If you give all beginners the basics they can decide for themselves how serious they want to be in the long run. Every lesson should have some big fun and plenty of success. My main point is that I don't think beginners should have to decide what/how they want to play 10 years down the road and I don't think teachers should limit their possibilities. I totally agree that the most difficult part of teaching is keeping the learning at the correct pace and level for each learner.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 06-30-2023, 06:28 AM

A typical non classical first lesson would include the names of bits of the guitar, how these bits relate to fretboard diagrams, how to tune the guitar and read chord diagrams for a couple of simple chords. I would recommend chords E and A to start as these chords require less stretching than chords like C and G.

You probably already know not to teach too much too soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write