The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-07-2023, 08:27 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default I omitted the "a" and now I have to pay

I started learning to use thumb and finger picks at the end of last year. To make things easier on myself I made the decision to just use the picks on the thumb, index and middle fingers initially. Doing this made the process easier, but restricted my playing somewhat. I got somewhat fluent doing this, but time and time again things would feel "clunky" and overall I have to admit my playing suffered because of it.

It's not that I'm a finger style virtuoso, but there are times when I play that I need that right hand ring finger. Things just happen more naturally and were much more fluid when I used it.

Tonight I started the transformation of the ring finger from a bystander to a player again - and it ain't pretty

I'll get there, but tonight I spent a lot of time with my left hand muting all of the strings and playing open string arpeggios forward and back in slow motion,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-08-2023, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I started learning to use thumb and finger picks at the end of last year. To make things easier on myself I made the decision to just use the picks on the thumb, index and middle fingers initially. Doing this made the process easier, but restricted my playing somewhat. I got somewhat fluent doing this, but time and time again things would feel "clunky" and overall I have to admit my playing suffered because of it.

It's not that I'm a finger style virtuoso, but there are times when I play that I need that right hand ring finger. Things just happen more naturally and were much more fluid when I used it.

Tonight I started the transformation of the ring finger from a bystander to a player again - and it ain't pretty

I'll get there, but tonight I spent a lot of time with my left hand muting all of the strings and playing open string arpeggios forward and back in slow motion,
"a" for effort!
The arpeggio work should be very helpful in this regard.
Question: Are you using a fingerpick as well for the ring finger? I imagine yes, for evenness of tone, but just curious.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-08-2023, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

Hi Barry
As a thumb-n-3 player, it's easy for me to drop back to thumb-n-2 or thumb-n-1 for a song or passage. Not as easy nor versatile the other way round.

I think you made a wise decision. It'll be a good upgrade.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-08-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Barry
As a thumb-n-3 player, it's easy for me to drop back to thumb-n-2 or thumb-n-1 for a song or passage. Not as easy nor versatile the other way round.

I think you made a wise decision. It'll be a good upgrade.

This is my experience as well.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 06-08-2023, 03:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Thanks everyone.

@Andre, yes I'm using plastic fingerpicks on i m & a now.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write