The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-01-2014, 03:24 AM

Default Loose jack socket

I have been playing my newly serviced Washburn with an old lead and it's working fine. But when I plugged in my favourite lead, a Planet Waves with built in mute button, it is very loose. It practically falls out on its own and sounds awful as it rattles around.

Is this just one of those things or can the sockets be adjusted somehow? In reality I wouldn't need my mute switch cable on an electric as I'd have a tuner stomp box with mute, and I mainly use it to make sure my acoustic doesn't drain the internal battery, but it's still irritating.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:38 AM
Guest4562

I'm unclear - is the female jack itself loose or is it just a problem when you plug in this particular cable? From your description it sounds as if the groove in the tip of your cable is not aligning with the clip in the jack. If so, try plugging it into something else to see how it seats. If you have the same problem, it's the plug. If not, it's the jack.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:43 AM

Well as I said, it works fine with one cable but not the other. And the one it doesn't like is the new, expensive one

Meanwhile, I've been using the "problem" cable on both my acoustic guitars week in, week out and it locks in to those with a firm clunk every time.

Maybe it's a question of tolerances? You can get cables with a little spring-anchor thing on the plug to prevent them getting pulled out accidentally,
Old 09-01-2014, 12:57 PM

What kind of output jack is on the Washburn, barrel or open frame?
Old 09-01-2014, 03:16 PM

I have never heard of either of those things, I thought a jack was just a jack! Googling those terms didn't really help, is there a visible external difference?

If it helps, externally it looks like this i.e. there is a visible nut on a screw thread, not just a hole:

Old 09-01-2014, 05:39 PM

If it's mounted to the pick guard you can take the pick guard off and get to the back side of the jack, then tighten the contacts with a needlenose pliers.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 09-02-2014, 01:55 AM

Actually it's mounted at the bottom of the body, like so:

But I suppose that makes it even easier? Does the tightness of the external locking nut affect anything other than stopping it falling out?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Actually it's mounted at the bottom of the body, like so:

But I suppose that makes it even easier? Does the tightness of the external locking nut affect anything other than stopping it falling out?
The locking nut doesn't do anything except hold the jack to the mounting plate.

If you remove the two screws holding the plate to the guitar body there should be enough wire length to pull the jack assembly out so that you can see the copper "clip" that the male end of the cable fits into. It (the copper clip) may be worn or simply bent out of shape so good contact is not made with the cable end. You may want to try bending the copper clip in slightly, screwing the assembly back into the guitar and plugging it again with your preferred cable.

Be careful when taking the mounting screws out and putting them back in - you don't want to mess up the screw heads or scratch your guitar!

If that doesn't work, you may need a new jack (get a Switchcraft) - simple, cheap fix if you can solder. Easy job for a guitar repair shop if you can't.

Good luck, Ed
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
I have never heard of either of those things, I thought a jack was just a jack! Googling those terms didn't really help, is there a visible external difference?

If it helps, externally it looks like this i.e. there is a visible nut on a screw thread, not just a hole:

The reason I asked is that you can readjust an open frame jack; a barrel jack is virtually impossible to retighten and they all tend to go bad over time (much quicker than open frame for some reason and have to be replaced).

Barrel jack for reference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars