The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-05-2016, 06:16 PM
Guest 928

Default New Journey

Rob;

So? you deferred the development of my nylon string guitar in favor of some dream instrument of yours. I am, of course, offended that you would place your own wishes ahead of mine. But what about the time table--how long are you going to let us sit around in wonderment? Could you at least give us a clever clue--what's next? And when?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:35 PM

Haha Hey Evan. No offense intended at all, so please forgive us. We're working on two products that work together - that's about all I can say. ...and I can say if you play live you'll personally be glad we're doing this. We'll leak some new product rumors in October when we have our first tour of sponsored artists in Asia.

Just to give an idea of the calibre of artists we're working with - here's a fun review by our good friend Maneli Jamal.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Guest 928

Rob;

You are such a tease: in 4 1/2 months we'll get some rumors? This is just brutal.

The video is really nice. The player is superbly accomplished and the instrument sounds incredibly well balanced, clear, and sweet-toned. I think you might be on to something.

Looking forward to October........................................... ......................
Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 AM

Rob - I can't wait to hear your nylon classical version. (Hint).

What a nice piece to promote Journey, well played and shows the range of sound very nicely. I hope you sell a ton of these guitars. The more they are seen the more they are accepted by larger groups of players.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:51 AM
Guest 928

John;

Maybe what Rob has up his sleeve is a nylon in two forms--one foldable, one not?

Or maybe he's coming up with an electric nylon string guitar?

Or maybe he's working on that banjo he's always wanted?
Old 06-06-2016, 01:19 PM

Foldable is not a requirement for me if it helps keep costs down. Just that nice classical sound that moves your soul when you play or hear it played.

Rob - have you ever heard the phrase 'spill the beans'? Regardless, its time to spill the beans....
Old 06-06-2016, 02:43 PM

Patience, Guru Evan. Here we just confer that title upon you, and you demonstrate an inability to wait. Ommmmm.......ommmmmm. Breathe deep and slowly, let the tension go......

As the old wine commercials used to say, "We will sell no wine before its time". I remember the slogan, even if I don't remember who made the wine.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Guest 928

...Ommm................Pant...............Ommmm... ..........Pant........... Ommmm...

Earl--something like that?
Old 06-06-2016, 06:45 PM

LOL!!! Well played, sir.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:47 PM

Trust me gang - this year we're developing capacity and key products to meet real needs of musicians who travel - and our goal is to bring out products that not meet functional needs, but those that you really enjoy playing AND performing with. Evan - tell you what - since you've been the cheerleader and help on the classical, I'll make sure to get you one of the very first versions of the classical to check out.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:11 AM

Rob - Kudos for giving Evan a point position on trying out the new classical. I like the way you guys do business.

Evan - when that happens we need a review...please.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Trust me gang - this year we're developing capacity and key products to meet real needs of musicians who travel - and our goal is to bring out products that not meet functional needs, but those that you really enjoy playing AND performing with. Evan - tell you what - since you've been the cheerleader and help on the classical, I'll make sure to get you one of the very first versions of the classical to check out.
Wow, quite the gesture. Lucky you, Evan. Once again, it's great to see the value that this forum and its members play in the evolution of cutting-edge guitars. Good on ya, Rob.

That OF660 sounds absolutely great in the hands of a player like Maneli. His use of thumb pick and long, chiseled nails certainly contributes to the tone he evokes.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:05 AM
Guest 928

Rob;

As you know, I have a great deal of respect for the time, energy, sweat, and stress that has gone into the development of Journey instruments. I am honored that you would allow me an early play of your new nylon string guitar.

PS: After I check out the guitar do I get to keep it?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Rob;

As you know, I have a great deal of respect for the time, energy, sweat, and stress that has gone into the development of Journey instruments. I am honored that you would allow me an early play of your new nylon string guitar.

PS: After I check out the guitar do I get to keep it?
haha, let me first get the design and tooling done.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:27 PM

Smile

Hey gang - glad you dig the video. I actually took Skype lessons from Maneli about 4-5 years ago - he's a super cool guy. Came to found out he lived in Austin, TX for a while when I did. Small world.

A lot of the tone represented in video has to do with the equipment, recording environment, and recording skill - besides the actual playing skill of the artist. Here are the two best performances that I think represent the tone best. The first is by David Youngman who does pure acoustic, amplified, and blended with reverb. The second is by Adrian Bellue who plays this mic'd through a small amp.

David Youngman:

Adrian Bellue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber