The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-26-2016, 04:36 AM

Default Change Finish On Neck of CF Guitar

Hi All,

Question for everyone. Has anyone changed the finish on the neck of there CF guitar??? I have a Rainsong parlor N12 with gloss finish which I love but prefer a satin finish on the neck. Has anyone ever tried to sand the neck finish to rough if up a bit to a satin finish without removing the finish. I used to do this often in the 70s with my tele's before Fender and others figured out that players prefer a stain neck finish for playability.

Was wondering if CF would react the same as the wood finishes by using a course 500 then 1500 grade sandpaper??? Does it hurt the neck???? Ruin the look of the guitar ??? Hurt resale value???

This is one area Alistair (Emerald Guitars) and Joe (Blackbird) have a real design edge in my opinion for their guitars.

Any thoughts????

Thanks!!!

Chris

Last edited by Fixedgear60; 06-26-2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:59 PM

I have used Scotchbrite pads to lightly rough up necks that have been hand-polished by playing. Get a fine "grit" (they make steel wool 00, 000 and 0000 equivalents) and go easy. All you want to do is consistently and carefully break the glaze, not remove any finish material. Call Dave at Rainsong and see if he has a different suggestion.

I agree that a satin neck is nicer, especially if you start to sweat. Glossy necks get sticky whenever any moisture is involved. And the Blackbird guitars really have sweet necks......
Old 06-27-2016, 03:07 AM

I think you will hurt resale value.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-27-2016, 07:27 AM

HI Earl & Steve,

Thanks for the follow up posts. I was torn when purchasing the parlor as I loved the FT neck but really liked the gloss body that shows off the CF weave. Perhaps you are wright Steve ... doing this will hurt resale value when some other break through in CF design comes out and I am temped to flip the guitar.

I have a email into Rainsong and will share the recommendation...

Thanks!!!

Chris
Old 06-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
HI Earl & Steve,

Thanks for the follow up posts. I was torn when purchasing the parlor as I loved the FT neck but really liked the gloss body that shows off the CF weave. Perhaps you are wright Steve ... doing this will hurt resale value when some other break through in CF design comes out and I am temped to flip the guitar.

I have a email into Rainsong and will share the recommendation...

Thanks!!!

Chris
Another option is to wax only the back of the neck with a marine wax (like Star brite with PTFE). You could even do the whole guitar, but I just use traditional guitar cleaners and waxes for that. You might have to apply several coats and don't be afraid to use it liberally. No harm to the resale value and a better surface to deal with.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Another option is to wax only the back of the neck with a marine wax (like Star brite with PTFE). You could even do the whole guitar, but I just use traditional guitar cleaners and waxes for that. You might have to apply several coats and don't be afraid to use it liberally. No harm to the resale value and a better surface to deal with.
Thanks Sean... will give it a try!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber