The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Default Robert Plant on CBS this AM.

Did anyone see it? He has a new record coming out and is on a promo tour of TV/Radio. I know he has probably already talked to a dozen media outlets by time he aired on CBS, but he seemed punch drunk. As in I couldn't understand what he was talking about. Not in a jabbering Ozzie way. He spoke clearly. But what he said made no sense. This is not a quote, because I can't recall any. But an example of the type of things he said.
Question " You were HUGELY popular in the 1970's. What was that like?"
Answer " Well we ate a lot of toast, but it was good you know, we had a great time".
OK, he had a great time, as one would expect. But what does toast have to do with it?
The whole interview was filled w/such nonsensical comments.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:55 PM

One of the nice things about being Robert Plant would be that not many people would think it was odd or strange that you never made sense..sort of like the weird uncle you keep in the back room at family get togethers..sort of reminds me of an old Peter Sellars movie, but the name escapes me...He was mildly mentally handicapped, but he fooled people without trying to. They ended up running him for president..

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 09-22-2014, 08:12 PM

I didn't see the interview, but it's possible he was attempting at type of British humor that gives very mundane, anticlimactic answers to important questions. When asked what it was like to spend time at the Maharishi's ashram in India, John Lennon replied that "It was just like Butlins!" Butlins was a working class holiday camp that provided constant light entertainment and copious amounts of food! Absurd, understated replies caught on, I think, when Monty Python became popular, and Plant is very much the Monty Python generation.

Or else it could simply be that his mind's going!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:06 AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/robert...d-solo-career/

Is this the interview?

I think he's just become a super laid back English eccentric in his old age. Apparently he's moved back to Kidderminster - a pleasant English market town not that far from the sleepy little town I live in.

When you hang out in the countryside around here for any length of time, it's so mellow I imagine it's a bit of a shock to get on a plane and have to switch into american telly mode, even for Robert plant. He probably just needs a (proper) cup of tea.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosoa View Post
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/robert...d-solo-career/

Is this the interview?

I think he's just become a super laid back English eccentric in his old age. Apparently he's moved back to Kidderminster - a pleasant English market town not that far from the sleepy little town I live in.

When you hang out in the countryside around here for any length of time, it's so mellow I imagine it's a bit of a shock to get on a plane and have to switch into american telly mode, even for Robert plant. He probably just needs a (proper) cup of tea.
Yes, the interviewing template here for celebrities trying to sell themselves in interviews usually consists of a litany of how 'amazing' and 'fantastic' all the people involved in the project were, along with a few anecdotes to show that they're really just as ordinary and lovable as you, the little people!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Yes, the interviewing template here for celebrities trying to sell themselves in interviews usually consists of a litany of how 'amazing' and 'fantastic' all the people involved in the project were, along with a few anecdotes to show that they're really just as ordinary and lovable as you, the little people!
Hah! American telly does seem to be very 'shiny' from this side of the Atlantic.

It's like the presenters have to be taken out of their plastic shrink wrappers in the morning and polished to a gentle sheen with a big soft cloth before they go on camera.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosoa View Post
Hah! American telly does seem to be very 'shiny' from this side of the Atlantic.

It's like the presenters have to be taken out of their plastic shrink wrappers in the morning and polished to a gentle sheen with a big soft cloth before they go on camera.
That's funny. I was just reviewing my notes from my visit to the U.K. in Nov. 1996, and at that point I described the TV over there as "pretty bland." No offense intended. It seems to dovetail with your view of things in an odd sort of way. In fact, I think U.S. morning interview shows have become more about the format (always too short for a decent interview, unless you hate the subject!) and the anchors (always interrupting the guests) than the guests, and it is annoying.

Bob

Now, I will disclose that I work in TV over here.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Question " You were HUGELY popular in the 1970's. What was that like?"

Perhaps Robert was initially insulted by a question that seems to imply that he's not "hugely" popular now.

Or perhaps he's so tired of being asked about the Zeppelin years (that he has not really been a part of in about 30 years), that he wants to vomit this redundant .............. ?

Or perhaps he is on Tour in support of a really good album and was unfortunately being interviewed early in the morning by someone who does not care about what he is doing now and only wants to dig up Robert's past.

Perhaps the interviewer would be best served by being a continuing contestant on the Jerry Springer show instead of trying to deal with living Icons/Legends?

On the other hand, maybe all of the above is true.

Last edited by Luria; 09-23-2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post

Did anyone see it? ...

He spoke clearly. But what he said made no sense.
nonsensical comments.

Well, that's Robert "Does anybody remember loffter?" Plant, isn't it?
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Luv'd it! Especially the bit about fading memory...LOL
"...Don't surround yourself with yourself, move on back two squares." YES

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic