The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I think the SP101 is a great carry piece with the 2.25" or 3" barrel, but once you get up to the 4" barrel, it is my opinion just to opt for the GP100 (if staying with Ruger). The GP100 has more heft (less felt recoil) , an extra round (6 shots instead of the 5-shot SP101), while being not that much larger than the SP101.
As far as the suggestions for the "Judge" or "Governor" type .410/45LC handguns.. I would disagree. Those guns are a novelty guns that does nothing particular well in my opinion. Sure they are neat and fun to shoot.. but if my life was on the line, those would be near the end of the lists of guns I would want on my person.
Ditto......
Old 09-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Everyone's needs are different and one size does not fit all. That said a .357 revolver works well in a number of ways as many have suggested. You can shoot .38 or .357 ammo. A .357 will knock down about any critter you are likely to come across in the country. I have never had a revolver malfunction and in an emergency situation you don't have to wonder if a round is chambered. You can purchase a quality .357 at a reasonable price. My wife is as accurate as me with a .357. (Well maybe a bit better )

I currently have semi-autos but my revolver is what I rely on for home defense.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
This is what I have for home defense too.
It does a lot more. The OP mentioned possible bear problems. No handgun I would trust for even black bear would be very useful defending yourself indoors. Pop a couple of 12 ga slugs in the tube and you're good for even very large game. Pop in #8 if snakes are a problem.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
IMo some questions need asking before I can comment fully. #1. Desired price range. #2. is your wife gun experienced? #3. Is she recoil shy.
Questions asked, I will relate what I have done. My wife is mediocre gun experienced. Understands the basics but is recoil shy.
So I keep a .410 shotgun, which is within her recoil tolerance, handy for her use. With a web bandoleer on the butt which hold 3 types of shells. Small shot game loads for critters, 000 buck and slugs for bigger critters and personal defense. A slug from a .410 has the approximate same velocity & energy as a .357 magnum at ranges out to around 75 yrds. And 000 buck fires 3 approximately 30 cal balls in a no miss at close range pattern.
000 buck in a .410 is 5 pellets of aprox .36" (almost 9mm).

Muzzle energy in a 3" magnum .410 slug approaches 800 ft. lb.
At 75 yards it is down to about 250 ft. lb.
This assumes firing from a shotgun, NOT a "Judge" handgun!

Muzzle energy of a hot .357 from a handgun exceeds 800 ft. lb.
At 75 yards it is down to about half that, but still at around 400 ft. lb.
This increases if you're firing a .357 in a rifle.

Which brings up a 16-18" lever action rifle in .357, .44 or .45 as a very decent little house long gun. Very high on the "cool" & fun to shoot category, too. Lightweight and a hot .44 mag shot from a small rifle is very controllable, even for a small person. The .45LC and .357 much more so...

Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Disclaimer: If you are an anti-gun/firearm person, please do not turn this into a debate thread. I'm really needing some advice from folks on here. If you don't agree with handguns, firearms, or whatever, please move along.

My wife and I moved out to the country a 1.5 years ago. I've always lived in the country on various plots of acreage, and we've always had firearms in the house for protection. We seemed to have a variety of firearms, be it shotguns, rifles, and pistols to protect the livestock in addition to killing poisonous snakes an other pests from around the house. We actually had rats so big that we had to shoot them; store-bought rat traps were too small.

Anyways, here I am, all grown up with a wife and family of my own. We have livestock in the pasture, and we are about 30 minutes (on a good day) from the closest police station. In addition, we have our fair share of wildlife around here. Bears are even starting to be spotted closer and closer to our area. In addition, drug activity is starting to increase (our county leads the state in meth lab busts). All in all, I would feel better about leaving my wife and kids at home with a decent handgun during the day when they are there alone.

To be totally honest with you, in my months of research, I absolutely detest talking to "gun guys." They ALL seem to know what I need...and every answer is as different from the last. I swear, it's like talking to a group of Dwight Schrutes...but all with differing opinions. My wife and I are just trying to do some research on our own. I want something that's reliable and accurate.

Advice?
You want a gun that is easy to handle for man, woman, and child?
If you are seeking a hand gun, I would also steer you toward a full size revolver.
Something .357 or .44 mag.
Both will shoot the shorter ".38 or .44 special round.
A full size revolver, with a barrel underlug will be easier to handle in recoil.
Only the .38spl is considered "weak".
However, I don't know anyone that would volunteer to be hit by one or several of them....

As has already been mentioned, revolvers are very reliable.
If you have a failure it will be ejection of a spent case. You can still load the other chambers if need be.

I'm also a strong supporter of the home defense shotgun. 12 or 20 gauge, slugs or double-ought for larger problems. #5 or smaller shot for snakes and varmints. And a human shot at close range with bird shot will likely lose all interest in you as "prey".

If you don't already have one or more, consider adding a dog.
Just something that will bark if a stranger is approaching. A very efficient early warning system.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
.........I'm also a strong supporter of the home defense shotgun. 12 or 20 gauge, slugs or double-ought for larger problems. #5 or smaller shot for snakes and varmints. And a human shot at close range with bird shot will likely lose all interest in you as "prey".

If you don't already have one or more, consider adding a dog.
Just something that will bark if a stranger is approaching. A very efficient early warning system.
+ 1 on both points.

A short barrel 12 gauge shotgun is the absolute best short range defense weapon available. There's a reason that nearly every police squad car carries one. Often, just the ch-chink sound of the action and the sight of the large diameter muzzle is enough to make a would-be attacker evacuate first his bowels, and then the area.

Also agree on the dogs. We have two Rat Terriers that go ballistic when an empty Mc Donalds bag blows across the yard....let alone a stranger in the vicinity. They miss nothing.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Disclaimer: If you are an anti-gun/firearm person, please do not turn this into a debate thread. I'm really needing some advice from folks on here. If you don't agree with handguns, firearms, or whatever, please move along.
Can I just say what a breath of fresh air it is that this thread has *not* devolved in such a fashion?

And I apologize in advance, unreservedly, if just pointing that out becomes a catalyst.

I'm not a gun owner, but I'm by no means anti-gun. I did some indoor target shooting when I was at school, many years ago - .22 and .303 rifles - and enjoyed it tremendously. This kind of thread is extremely educational, and I'm glad for the knowledge and reason on display.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
It does a lot more. The OP mentioned possible bear problems. No handgun I would trust for even black bear would be very useful defending yourself indoors. Pop a couple of 12 ga slugs in the tube and you're good for even very large game. Pop in #8 if snakes are a problem.
Good to know. I hope I never have to use it outside of the gun range. It's more fun shooting at cans and inanimate exploding targets.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:25 PM

Another vote for the .357 (which can also shoot the much milder .38 special). The Ruger GP100 is an excellent choice. The SP101 packs a LOT of wallop to it (even with its mass).

My favorite, though, is the Chiappa Rhino:

The bullet fires out of the BOTTOM chamber in the cylinder, rather than the top. This DRASTICALLY reduces muzzle flip (though you'll feel additional force coming directly back at you).

As to the Judge, they're fine when using .45 LC (though they kick like a mule). But the one I have will jam every 2nd or 3rd shot when trying to use the .410 shells.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
A 12 gauge is one of the best home defense, but it is also larger than a pistol. A 454 Casull might be an alternative.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...egory=Revolver
Not trying to be a troublemaker, but the .454 Casull is a hand cannon. Very few women would be comfortable shooting one. Very few men are comfortable shooting one.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:52 PM

Default Guns

Comment withdrawn, i dont want to be the one who gave overwhelmingly terrible advice, get dogs tho

Last edited by KINGPAUL; 09-23-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Comment withdrawn
Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGPAUL View Post
Comment withdrawn, i dont want to be the one who gave overwhelmingly terrible advice, get dogs tho
I was with you on the dogs.. You either have a gun or you don't. You do not take half measures when you decide to have a gun.. if you are not sure, do not get one. I agree that you do have to come to terms with the fact that you may have to take a life to protect you and your family.If you don't have that conversation with yourself , and come to terms.. don't get a gun.

Also.... Under the NFA, here in the US a sawed-off shot gun is illegal to own. Unless you do all the paperwork , extra background checks needed and then get the tax stamp to register the shotgun as an SBS, you will be going to jail if caught with one. Also, again.. you still have to aim a shotgun....

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-23-2014 at 01:52 PM. Reason: edited quote and response to match
Old 09-23-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
000 buck in a .410 is 5 pellets of aprox .36" (almost 9mm).

Muzzle energy in a 3" magnum .410 slug approaches 800 ft. lb.
At 75 yards it is down to about 250 ft. lb.
This assumes firing from a shotgun, NOT a "Judge" handgun!

Muzzle energy of a hot .357 from a handgun exceeds 800 ft. lb.
At 75 yards it is down to about half that, but still at around 400 ft. lb.
This increases if you're firing a .357 in a rifle.

Which brings up a 16-18" lever action rifle in .357, .44 or .45 as a very decent little house long gun. Very high on the "cool" & fun to shoot category, too. Lightweight and a hot .44 mag shot from a small rifle is very controllable, even for a small person. The .45LC and .357 much more so...

These are great guns. Copies of the Winchester Model 92. A pistol caliber rifle made famous on TV by "The Rifleman" TV series. Greatly reduced recoil due to it being absorbed by the heavier rifle. I have one of the octagon barrel ones in .357 Mag. It shoots like a .22. My wife & nephews love it. Big gun bang, big gun whollop on target, with the recoil of a .22. And .38spl and .357 Mag ammo is still fairly easy to get. A great article on the .357 Mag out of a rifle/carbine.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...vs-357-magnum/
Old 09-23-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
...If she can handle a 44mag or even a 50 cal then kudos to you. ...
No. Kudos to her.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Not trying to be a troublemaker, but the .454 Casull is a hand cannon. Very few women would be comfortable shooting one. Very few men are comfortable shooting one.
I agree , First the only 454 I would personally carry is the Freedom Arms version an absolutely superb piece arguably more accurate and designed and built specifically for the significantly increased pressures developed by the 454. AND even though I carried one for 15 years as a saddle gun in NW Wyoming grizzly country, personally would not be my choice for in home protection.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic