The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Default Singing - where does your individual sound come from?

I hate that I am a weak singer. I record myself singing fairly often and have got used to hearing it back without cringing. Although I have a pretty poor range and really lack volume, I can actually sing in tune... but even when I am really going for it it sounds thin and wimpy.

Every singer (good or bad) has a distinctive sound and I wondered, if this is just what my voice sounds like... Do singers actually work on what their core sound/timbre is as well as on technique, or is the nature of your voice something you have to work with rather than try to change?
Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Yes, you have to work at it! I suggest getting a vocal coach to help you to learn to 'sing from the diaphragm', use proper posture for best tone, etc.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Anticipation Junkie

The voice is an instrument that can certainly be improved. Technique is important so as to not strain and cause injury. If you believe your voice is thin and weak, it could be because you're singing from your throat rather than taking in and moving air from your gut. I've noticed that when I'm drawing air from down deep, it almost feels like I'm mouthing words almost like shaping the air as it passes. That may sound strange, but it's the best I can do to describe. Finding a good voice coach might give you the proper technique to get you improving your voice and tone. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

There are ways to sing songs that fit your voice. Listen to the differences between John Denver or Aretha Franklin and someone like Johnny Cash or John Prine. Find a way to sing, and a range of keys, that suits your voice. Have you tried singing to a baritone guitar? It literally allows you to go through such a range of different keys (capo) that it is almost impossible not to find something you can sing with.

As others have said, also train your voice. Have you read up on the best body position for singing? Breathing techniques?

I find that singing in the morning or midday works best for me. Many others find that singing later in the evening works best. Find your voice. It's there.

Todd
Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 AM

I was in chorus in high school, did the all-state thing, the regional thing, etc. Sang in chorus in college, and I've sang at church.

A few years ago, I just hung it up. The less I sing and the more I play instruments, the happier some people seem to be.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
There are ways to sing songs that fit your voice.
Find your voice. It's there.
So far I think either it's not there, it's there but it's simply not any good, or it's there but I don't know how to find it

I've done actually quite a lot of practice - leading in church small group settings as well as just trying to sing stuff at home. I've recorded myself trying, listened back and tried again, etc. So after more effort than 90% of the population would ever put in to singing, I reckon my 'practised' voice is still not as good as the vast majority of people
Old 09-22-2014, 10:03 AM

You absolutely have to work at singing, and this is where a good vocal coach can help so much. A vocal coach can help you find your voice, your range and the Key(s) that work(s) best for your voice.

I am no singer, but I have worked with a vocal coach. It turns out my range is Bb an octave below middle C to Bb below middle C. This means that G, the key used most in bluegrass, is too high for my voice, but harmonizing in C works pretty well, and I am working on harmonizing higher in my range.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

My oldest son is a voice teacher part time at the local college. He is very good and has taken guys who wanted to sing but had no idea how to do a good job and turned them into singers who have played leads in the college musicals. The point is, a good vocal coach can really make a big difference. The key is finding the right vocal coach. From what I have seen, many vocal coaches are not able to make any difference in helping people develop. It's just like guitar teachers -- some are fantastic, some are a real waste of money.

But the right vocal coach can make a HUGE difference.

Also, as Bone Digger noted, it can be really helpful to figure out over what note range your best vocal range and best tone are located and for you to learn how to play songs where your voice fits best. The use of a capo and learning how to transpose songs can make a huge difference. Singing in the wrong key can make a really good singer sound mediocre.

- Glenn
Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Louis Armstrong is my favorite singer of all-time. It's difficult to imagine someone having the challenge of a vocal instrument much worse than his. However, he overcomes it with soul, swagger, dynamics, rhythmic precision, and pure emotion. He sang with joy and conviction.

Bob Dylan? Tom Petty? Neil Young? Tom Waits? I really think everybody can sing. I think the thing you have to do is find your own authentic voice. Those qualities I listed about Louis Armstrong are instructive.

I took four years of voice in college. I loved my teacher, but I wasn't comfortable singing until I discarded "proper technique" and worked at finding my authentic voice.

YMMV. If you are intent on singing in Broadway musicals or classical music productions, you'll need to ignore my advice. I tried that. I failed. But it's OK. In fact, it turned out just right.

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

My singing voice's unique sound comes from a herd of tone-deaf donkeys, being chased by hyenas chewing on tin foil.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Try this:

Play the accompaniment while speaking the song you want to sing. Speak it with rhythmic precision and emotional conviction. That would be a good place to start in finding your authentic voice. Once you can do that you'll start to hear your own voice differently.

This likely won't help harmony singing much. But if you are looking to sing any sort of folk/pop songs, it's a great exercise.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:06 AM

I never thought I could sing. But then I became an OTR trucker and would occasionally stop in at some of the various trucker honkytonks across the country. And these often had karaoke as entertainment. (Not that truckers love to sing so much. But Karaoke brought local women who did. And the drivers enjoyed talking to them). So I began to try to sing. Horribly at first. But soon I discovered where my natural voice range was, and who's songs I could most easily do. From there on it was simply a matter of practicing. I'd make CD's of songs I thought I could sing and practice them for hours while driving. Learning every little nuance of how the singer sang it. And where hard to reach vocal spots were, and how to reach them. Eventually I git pretty good. Much later my wife and were invited to an event at a local bar by one of my old friends. After the event was over, karaoke began and I began singing. After the 1st song when I returned to the table, my friend said "That was GOOD! I didn't know you could sing." And I said "I didn't either until I tried".
The biggest advice I can give is to practice and remember to breath. When you come to a hard or sustained note in a song, try to find a place to take a big gulp of air. It helps me.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Guest4562

At least you're asking questions. Many people seem to assume that since they play guitar, they can sing. Some can. Many more cannot, but they do anyway.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
Many more cannot, but they do anyway.
I'm one of those "Can't but does it anyway" Another thing that can help that I don't think I saw mentioned is warm-ups. Not just your voice (although that is beneficial too), but your body. Stretch out your muscles, shake out tension, do a little light exercise.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Mac View Post
At least you're asking questions. Many people seem to assume that since they play guitar, they can sing. Some can. Many more cannot, but they do anyway.
While I do agree with this, there are just as many who think they can't sing and therefore don't try or at least fail to put any effort into it.

Todd

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic