The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Bass guitar help

I'm selling my acoustic guitar to buy my wife a new bass. She's been playing for about 12 years now, and it's time to upgrade! She currently plays a Washburn XB125. We got a great deal on it about 10 years ago or so, but since then, I think both of the pickups have been replaced, at least two of the pots, in addition to about handful of the 3/4" jack where the guitar plugs in. As of right now, she's playing on one pickup (the other one has gone out...again), and I'm refusing to send it back to the shop. I think we have just as much money into repairs as we do the bass.

She enjoys playing a 5 string, so we are going to stick with that. Even though we've played in various bands together, right now we are on a worship team at church. As far as sound is concerned, we need something is a smooth, solid low-end...something like a P-bass. I don't really care for things like "growl" - I just want something that fills out the bottom end of the mix well.

I'd love to have something with passive pickups (no fooling with batteries).

Durability is a thing with me. I not only want something that sounds good today, but I want something that will sound just as good 10 years from now. I don't want to have to buy another one. I'd love to find a used 5-string American P-bass, but they are really difficult to find on the used market. Either they don't sell a lot of them initially, or people buy them and then hang onto them.

Is all of this a possibility for about $700? What suggestions do you have?
Old 09-22-2014, 08:23 AM

It is active of course(batteries required), but when I read what you want tonally, I immediately think of a Stingray. Fat bottom, smooth big hifi tone that to me is the opposite of the jazz growl. Common in a 5 string configuration.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 AM

It is surprising how much of a difference strings make on a bass. My last band's first bassist switched from round wounds to D'addario Chrome flatwounds and went from the typical "growl" to a very smooth mellow tone, almost like an upright bass sound.

The Yamaha BB245X looks like a good match for what you are looking for, at $100 under your budget. Carvin makes some solid instruments as well and may have something along the lines of what you have in mind.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 09-22-2014, 11:27 AM

+ 1 on the five string Stingray. I used one for many years on the road and it was a great bass. It may be a bit outside of your budget however (look for used) so you may want to consider one of these instead. A student of mine just got one and it's great. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...THCFAOSYRUYYJT
Old 09-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi PPG,

I agree that the Fender American P-Bass is a very good sound, and the snappy response from a bolt-on neck, I think, is just right for bass. I know they are a little hard to find used, but I have seen them around. I'd keep your eyes out for one.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-22-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi PPG,

I agree that the Fender American P-Bass is a very good sound, and the snappy response from a bolt-on neck, I think, is just right for bass. I know they are a little hard to find used, but I have seen them around. I'd keep your eyes out for one.

- Glenn
Thanks. I'm hoping to run across a person that wants to trade their USA 5-string P-Bass for my acoustic. They both are about the same price new and used. Some time in the next month, I plan on mailing my guitar off to Elderly to see if I can get it sold.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-22-2014 at 01:23 PM. Reason: edited quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Charter Member

Hi PPG,

Check this out: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...41#post4109241

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic