The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-16-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Well, the History Channel is rather insistent that the Aliens did it.
Maybe illegal aliens did it as Pharaoh could not afford the minimum wage?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-17-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
What it means is, if you have some extraordinary theory, (or any theory really), as to how it was completed, then it is on you to provide evidence.
No it doesn't. I don't remember that in the rules. Last I heard we discussed stuff here. If it's too far out with you that's cool. But in really bad taste to attempt to squelch someone else's disscusion points.

Quote:
Lack of knowledge as to how something was done thousands of years ago is not evidence of anything. In the context of this discussion there is no practical difference, because it's all stuff that, if you are proposing it, then you must show evidence of.
Never said it was. You however proclaim evidence where it doesn't exist. No one knows when, how, or why the pyramids were built. Yet here you are trashing on a fellow forumite. Waz up with dat?

Quote:
And you have shown zero evidence.I don't know how much clearer it can get. A lack of consensus about something does not in any way mean that everyone is wrong.
wow you are awfully defensive aren't you? I didn't say you were wrong. Never said I was right, either. My response to your post..

Quote:
Just because we do not have enough evidence to be sure of the exact processes used, does not mean that any processes beyond our ability to understand were used.
was simply....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz View Post
Doesn't mean it wasn't either.
Earth shattering, huh?

You may want to chill a little. There's a Be Nice Rule on the AGF. Or, you know.... don't. Our choices are our own.

max
Old 09-17-2014, 05:34 PM

Not out to be right or prove everyone wrong. My only point related to progress and the building of things like the pyramids was posted back a few pages.

Quote:

I would suggest that trying to apply our present understanding of progress limits our analysis. When we categorize progress only in the material physical realm -- it may not be progress at all.

max
I think there's more to reality than matter. And I think the realms beyond matter were once better understood then they are now.

That is all.

max
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I think there's more to reality than matter.
Sure, energy, fields, fundamental forces, and a bunch of other stuff I don't completely understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
And I think the realms beyond matter were once better understood then they are now.
Ok. And you think that because.............?
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 09-17-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Heroditus was writing at a time when the pyramids were already more than 1,500 years old, so how can we take his written account at face value? Especially when archeological evidence seems to contradict it?
Supposedly Egyptians TOLD him that slaves were used to build the pyramids. Any reason to disbelieve them?

As to the "archeological evidence", perhaps this article (found through a google search) will explain it a bit better:

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/fir...kers-after-all

Again, nobody was claiming that the pyramids were built EXCLUSIVELY by Egyptians (or if they were, that would've been highly doubtful). But this bit of evidence certainly isn't enough to claim that slaves were not used to build the pyramids at all.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:11 PM

Get off my lawn.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Sure, energy, fields, fundamental forces, and a bunch of other stuff I don't completely understand. Ok. And you think that because.............?
Because I have experienced the moment.
And being there is a pretty enlightening thing.
Not in any mystical way ... in a perspective and connectedness way.

I can point to three very distinct times when my brain was empty enough to experience actual reality. Only three in a lifetime so far.

Also, try as we might, we can't explain consciousness. It is a form of energy that we simply can not define.
We don't even have a good handle on energy let alone the form we call consciousness.

Yeah, yeah E = mc2.
From where did it originate? And in what forms does it manifest itself?

I understand this doesn't prove energy's definition includes reasons beyond our current understanding through using our well understood five senses -- but there are simple things like intuition, deja vu, the placebo effect (The Law of Reciprocity) even syncronicity that point to properties beyond our well understood 5 senses.

I choose to not limit myself to the presently defined. I've had experiences that just are not easily defined by our physical understandings.

I believe -- no, I know -- our minds are cluttered with all of the things we call progress in this thread -- the physical. Things that steal our attention -- our energy. It means we are kept from the moment. In essence kept from reality. Our perception is our reality. Not the reality.

When an antelope sees a lion it freaks out. Fear/flight instinct takes over. The antelope runs. Tries to survive. A natural reaction in the physical realm.
However, when the threat is gone, an antelope just goes on being. Eating, traveling, interacting with the herd. Just being. The fear is gone.
When is the last time you could just be?

When we see the lion the same thing happens. But when the threat is gone -- we still worry about the threat. It's in our mind. We retain the experience and use it to drive further interaction. This keeps us from experiencing the moment. From experiencing reality.

Progress, possessions, matter .. they do the same thing.
They clutter our mind and keep us from reality.

Ancient humans did not have near as many distractions as we do. There wasn't the "progress" we have now. There wasn't the amount of material desire we have now. Consequently ancient humans had the potential to experience reality more fully than us. And I believe it offered potential to ponder all of reality to a far greater extent. Forces like magneticism and undertsanding like geometery and numerology played a more important role.

But here's the single reason I believe that matter is not the substance of the universe and that conciousness is.

At the very core of human existence is DNA. It's matter, right? Well, explain to me how this piece of matter was constructed with instructions and coding built right in it if there was no consciousness before it? From where or how or why did this encoding manifest itself in this matter?

I think we've regressed in our understanding of conciousness. This physical stuff is temporary. But energy -- manifested in us presently in the form of conciousness -- is a constant. The Conservation of Energy tells us energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but can change form.

Heavy freakin duty, huh?

max
Old 09-17-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
I can point to three very distinct times when my brain was empty enough
MUST resist temptation. MUST . . . . . RESIST . . . . .
Old 09-17-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
MUST resist temptation. MUST . . . . . RESIST . . . . .
See... your brain is cluttered.
Thanks for the compelling illustration.
Just be Song.... just be.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
See... your brain is cluttered.
No . . . I resisted.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Heavy freakin duty, huh?

max
Umm...no. Step away from the bong...
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
No . . . I resisted.
Your missing it.
That was your final action... the thought of dumping on me and resisting cluttered your mind.

Unlike 'ole Duff here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff beer View Post
Umm...no. Step away from the bong...
Old 09-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
Because I have experienced the moment.
And being there is a pretty enlightening thing.
Not in any mystical way ... in a perspective and connectedness way.

I can point to three very distinct times when my brain was empty enough to experience actual reality. Only three in a lifetime so far.

Also, try as we might, we can't explain consciousness. It is a form of energy that we simply can not define.
We don't even have a good handle on energy let alone the form we call consciousness.
Thanks for the detailed response. Personally, I have not encountered previously the concept of consciousness being described as energy. Is there scientific consensus here, or is it just your opinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz

I understand this doesn't prove energy's definition includes reasons beyond our current understanding through using our well understood five senses -- but there are simple things like intuition, deja vu, the placebo effect (The Law of Reciprocity) even syncronicity that point to properties beyond our well understood 5 senses.
I would agree that there are many psychological processes that are not well understood. But that does not infer a connection to the state of the universe and physical processes that we also try to understand. Where you see some connection, I see none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
I choose to not limit myself to the presently defined.
It's fun to do thought experiments, but imo to become believable, it must be shown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
I've had experiences that just are not easily defined by our physical understandings.
Why do processes of the mind have to be explained by processes of the physical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
I believe -- no, I know -- our minds are cluttered with all of the things we call progress in this thread -- the physical. Things that steal our attention -- our energy. It means we are kept from the moment. In essence kept from reality. Our perception is our reality. Not the reality.
This is a slippery slope argument. Meaning if we forgo what is concerning us today, say the new iphone release , then we will just turn our attention to what is next down the list, and so on. But we cannot ever get to the bottom and still survive as there are real issues that must be dealt with. This is how it has always been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
When an antelope sees a lion it freaks out. Fear/flight instinct takes over. The antelope runs. Tries to survive. A natural reaction in the physical realm.
However, when the threat is gone, an antelope just goes on being. Eating, traveling, interacting with the herd. Just being. The fear is gone.
How do you know this? The antelope has no concerns about finding sufficient food? Or other difficulties with everyday survival that are cause for concern?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
When is the last time you could just be?
Well, I'm 50yo with three small children, so you know.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
When we see the lion the same thing happens. But when the threat is gone -- we still worry about the threat. It's in our mind. We retain the experience and use it to drive further interaction. This keeps us from experiencing the moment. From experiencing reality.
Yeah, to a degree I'm thankful for that. tends to help me avoid lions and other problematic scenarios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
Progress, possessions, matter .. they do the same thing.
They clutter our mind and keep us from reality.
I can agree that possessions can be burdensome. If you stress over a pile of guitars, try say, a collection of classic cars, or various homes or rental properties. Stuff can really monopolize your time, but imo that's no less real than anything else.
If I were to rid myself of stuff, I don't think that I would come to a greater understanding of anything - but i would have a lot of time to think about the stuff I'd like to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
Ancient humans did not have near as many distractions as we do. There wasn't the "progress" we have now. There wasn't the amount of material desire we have now.
Not so sure about that. Different distractions, sure, but plenty of real problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
Consequently ancient humans had the potential to experience reality more fully than us.
Again, I don't see how struggling just to survive to a much greater extent than we do leaves a less cluttered mind then say wondering what cable channel to choose?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
And I believe it offered potential to ponder all of reality to a far greater extent. Forces like magneticism and undertsanding like geometery and numerology played a more important role.
So what happened to this greater understanding? Why was it not passed down? In the event that you are thinking that increasing materialism caused it to be lost over time - that is a hard sell because we both know that any greater understanding of these issues can definitely be leveraged for greater materialism, and therefore quite valuable in that regard as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz

But here's the single reason I believe that matter is not the substance of the universe and that conciousness is.

At the very core of human existence is DNA. It's matter, right? Well, explain to me how this piece of matter was constructed with instructions and coding built right in it if there was no consciousness before it? From where or how or why did this encoding manifest itself in this matter?

I think we've regressed in our understanding of conciousness. This physical stuff is temporary. But energy -- manifested in us presently in the form of conciousness -- is a constant. The Conservation of Energy tells us energy can be neither created nor destroyed, but can change form.
Are you suggesting that the universe did not exist prior to the existence of human consciousness? As to dna, do theories of evolution not address this in a manner which is far more favorable to occam's razor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjz
Heavy freakin duty, huh?
Indeed. Thanks for sharing it.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A

Last edited by Wengr; 09-22-2014 at 09:39 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic