The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-22-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Check out my fingerstyle guitar site

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=321997&T=1721

I recommend you start with "Faro Rag," "The English Dance," or "Snowy Morning Blues."

Let me know what you think, keeping in mind that I've been playing guitar for less than two and a half years.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:17 AM

Matt - I was very impressed by your playing and your taste in music as well. For a guy your age to be into that kind of music and spend the considerable amount of time you've had to develop your playing ability is great and I might add, inspiring for us all. Keep playing, I think you could go very far with what you have already accomplished at such a young age. By the way, I liked all the people you listed as your influences. If you haven't heard of Tommy Emmanuel you should check him out. I think you'll dig him.

"Wisdom has its limitations, ignorance knows no boundaries"
Old 01-22-2005, 09:34 AM

"Hats off to John Renbourn for another splendid arrangement of a traditional Celtic piece. "The English Dance," which probably originated as a fiddle tune, is played in G in the tuning Open G, DGDGBD. The bass is what makes this good song an excellent song; the open G and D strings in the bass facilitate a dynamic and powerful bass line. Listen to how the bass complements the melody, particularly in the first, third, and sixth sections. Throughout the entire piece, there are only two notes used as bass notes, but they are used so effectively that they render any other potential bass notes superfluous. The melody, of course, is also quite ingenious, making efficient use of hammer-ons, pull-offs, and actual picking strokes. In the first section, for instance, the only times I actually pluck the strings for the melody are when I also hit the bass with the thumb; the section is comprised completely of "pinches," with strategically-placed hammer-ons and pull-offs filling in the gaps. This arrangement is a tribute to the remarkable musical ingenuity of John Renbourn" Copyright: 2004 Matt Evpak

Interesting treatise comming from someone who has only played for two and a half years.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:40 AM

nice, I have been playing for 6 months and if in two years I can play like that I will be happy
Old 01-22-2005, 10:54 AM

i likey nice stuff - keep it up!
Old 01-22-2005, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback, all.

Quote:
If you haven't heard of Tommy Emmanuel you should check him out. I think you'll dig him.
Actually I just got the DVD of his concert at Sheldon Hall for Christmas. And I do dig him, but he's not quite my style. He seems more a flatpicker than a fingerstylist, and more an entertainer than an artist, whereas I'm a fingerstyle purist (I'm impotent with a pick, except for strumming chords--and even then I would rather strum with my fingers) and an artist foremost, hence my affinity for Bensusan, Renbourn, and Van Duser. But yes, I am an Emmanuel fan.

Quote:
Interesting treatise comming from someone who has only played for two and a half years.
Not even that.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Evpak
Actually I just got the DVD of his concert at Sheldon Hall for Christmas. And I do dig him, but he's not quite my style. He seems more a flatpicker than a fingerstylist, and more an entertainer than an artist, whereas I'm a fingerstyle purist (I'm impotent with a pick, except for strumming chords--and even then I would rather strum with my fingers) and an artist foremost, hence my affinity for Bensusan, Renbourn, and Van Duser. But yes, I am an Emmanuel fan.
I agree that his live shows are probably an example of his showmanship as well as his playing, but you might want to check that video a little closer if you consider him primarily a flatpicker. He uses thumbpicks, flatpicks or just his fingers at various times during his set. He uses his fingers as independently and fluidly as any of the fingerstylists you list, not to mention most classical guitarists. He uses the pads of his fingers because his callouses are thick enough to deliver a "nail-like" attack. As far him being more of an entertainer than an artist, you might try a second "listen" to that dvd, specifically "Those Who Wait", "Mombasa" and "I've Always Thought of You". Those are his originals off his album "Only". If you still consider him more of an entertainer after that, I'm at a loss for words. His original music is the most melodic and lyrical of any acoustic guitarists I have heard, in fact his tunes often remind me of Pat Metheny or even James Taylor in their simple beauty. But hey, variety is the spice of life and it's cool that you have such great influences. I really dig all the guys you list as well. I guess you just have to find the music that speaks to you. Keep on playin...

"Wisdom has its limitations, ignorance knows no boundaries"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell