The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-15-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
The OP asked about Cadd9, not C9.
my response was to vindibona.

It's fine not to "need theory," but then, don't "teach" in threads where the OP is a professed beginner.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct View Post
Yes indeed.

If you can work it out with the bass player, have him pass through a low E, even the fat string open, and you do the same with your Cadd9, let the low E ring. It'll be juicy major for a beat or three, provided you can time it together. Chix dig it.

rct
I can see why.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 01:25 PM

Cadd9 is a convenient chord that sounds nice in keys like D or G where you're suspending the D from either the D or the G as you transition to C. Nothing wrong with that.

To some people's point, it's often a lazy chord choice chosen based on grip and "coolness" than harmonic quality. That's prevalent in a lot of modern acoustic styles, especially the worship music scene where "sus" and "add9" chords are used without any classical sense of resolution. Again, that's not wrong, but I've heard enough Jesus-songs that are some variation of Eadd9 to Bsus4 to Asus2 to Dadd9 for one lifetime.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-15-2018, 02:12 PM

I'm with rct's early response. Context determines appropriateness; don't settle for the easy fingerings because that has zero to do with musicality. How do I know? I wasted more than a decade, and gave people mediocre performances, because I became a very habitual player with many of my moves based on what I could execute easily, playing "fast." It was only when I realized that the best way to develop a fluid music voice is to work on the things that are hard, and the intervals and positions, etc., that are challenging and not basic that you become a capable musician instead of a sort-of guitar player. I make no claim to greatness -- that's for sure -- but what I do now is a much better and more musical thing than what I used to do. The proficiency comes.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:02 PM

I use them both often. They both impart subtle sonic derivations and musical nuances when used appropriately. It's the same reason that people use Em and Em7. Don't get me started on broken and partial chords. There are literally almost infinite colors to paint with on that spectrum.

Here's a homework challenge : learn to play variations of the A chord in nine different ways on the fretboard. Then do the same thing with the D chord.
2007 Yamaha FGX720SCA
2020 Yamaha FG Junior
2002 Taylor Big Baby
Old 02-15-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Cadd9 is a convenient chord that sounds nice in keys like D or G where you're suspending the D from either the D or the G as you transition to C. Nothing wrong with that.

To some people's point, it's often a lazy chord choice chosen based on grip and "coolness" than harmonic quality. That's prevalent in a lot of modern acoustic styles, especially the worship music scene where "sus" and "add9" chords are used without any classical sense of resolution. Again, that's not wrong, but I've heard enough Jesus-songs that are some variation of Eadd9 to Bsus4 to Asus2 to Dadd9 for one lifetime.
This, too.
2007 Yamaha FGX720SCA
2020 Yamaha FG Junior
2002 Taylor Big Baby
Old 02-15-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post

Again, that's not wrong, but I've heard enough Jesus-songs that are some variation of Eadd9 to Bsus4 to Asus2 to Dadd9 for one lifetime.
Yes and being in a worship band as I am on a part time basis, I don't understood the infatuation with it. Of course it's sort of like today's country music where everybody plays the same stuff just because. Blecch!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 03:20 PM

Cadd9 for pass thru or rhythm.

C for the main event, punctuation.

Lots of songs I play G - Cadd9 - D then in the chorus I play a true root C.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 02-15-2018, 03:31 PM

While Cadd9 is surely a good choice for some songs you’ll inevitably have to become super fluent transitioning to a from the standard open position C maj for many many songs. I wouldn’t recommend choosing Cadd9 for convenience, only for sound.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:42 PM

Default C chord VS Cadd9

I think the most important thing here for not just beginners, but everyone, even those who have zero interest in learning theory, is to at the very least understand what makes a chord.

For the OP, I think you’ll benefit a lot more from learning intervals and what makes a chord, rather than just understanding a Cadd9.

What’s a chord? A chord is basically certain notes on a scale played in unison. In order to understand chords, you must understand scales and intervals. Remember that chord names are VERY specific, every letter and number means something. Since the chord in the spotlight here is the Cadd9, let’s concentrate on the C scale and its intervals. Intervals are steps in a scale in which a number is given. Here’s the C scale with its intervals:

C - 1 *
D - 2
E - 3 *
F - 4
G - 5 *
A - 6
B - 7
C - 8 *

But where’s the 9th interval? I’ll get into that shortly. Notice the * I put on the 1, 3, 5, and 8. Root, third, fifth, and 8th which is the root at a higher octave. Those are the intervals that makes a major chord. Remember when I said that chord names are very specific? What does Cadd9 tell you? C major, add the 9th. Which means root, third, fifth, and instead of the higher root note or 8th interval, you’re going to the next interval which is the 9th. If the octave root note is the 8th, then the ninth interval is the second interval after the octave root, in this particular chord, you’re replacing the octave C note with the higher D note.

The simplest thing to remember is that a chord is made out of those 3 intervals or triad. First, third, and fifth. What about minor chords? Same thing except you flatten the third.

Last edited by 1neeto; 02-15-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:04 PM

That was an excellent way to present this in its simplest form.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 04:45 PM

Yep, I play it when changing from a G to a C pretty much always.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM

Generally, I use the Cadd9 to create a suspension with G, Em7, and Dsus4 chords. If the intent is to NOT create that suspension, you should be using the regular C chord instead.

Essentially, don't use Cadd9 as a lazy alternate to a normal C chord, use it when the music asks for it.

Later
Rob
Old 02-16-2018, 04:52 PM

**delete**

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 02-16-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Cadd9/G
This would need the G played in the bass. Didn't you say it was fingered X32033, no G?

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

Last edited by SunnyDee; 02-18-2018 at 09:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write