The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-26-2018, 01:11 PM

Hi folks,

it doesn't need a bridge plate because of the special pinless bridge of Thomas.
This evening he caused a great fun with sending the first pic of the closed soundbox and I'm really looking forward to the next steps. To me that undefined "indian ebony" has a lot of that royal macassar I was looking for and couldn't found.

Like always all the best hoping you enjoy it.

guitarchie
Old 01-27-2018, 05:11 PM

That's looking great! Cool grain pattern on that ebony...
Old 01-28-2018, 05:00 AM

Default the number

Hi folks,

like mentioned in the first post, that the pleasant anticipation couldn't wait for number 100, we decided for a double lucky number: the 77.
So the idea was to have good luck from every point of view. That lead us to the the decision to place it on the 12th fret, one seven in the normal way and the other as a mirror-inverted one.
Thomas had the idea to choose a form that gives the association to a eighth-note. The inlayed wood is marple that gives a nice contrast to the macassar fretboard.

like always I hope you enjoy it

guitarchie

Last edited by guitarchie; 01-28-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Default the soundboxfeeling

Hi folks,

it's so amazing to see, that these ideas of optical illusion, only drawn, could work; that Thomas is able to transform that idea and drawing into a real inlay that misleads you to look into three soundholes where only one exists - and all of that only rough sanded.

like always hope you could enjoy it in the same manner like me.

guitarchie
Old 01-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Coming along nicely!
Old 02-02-2018, 08:30 AM

Default armrestbevel

Hi folks,

the next step comes with a bevel. We had choosen an indian rosewood for the binding of the soundbox, the headplate, the fretboard, and the bridge, so it should pass over to the bevel. Considering the relationship of colours between the binding and the sides we decided to have a bright purfling and Thomas' choice fell on marple. To me it's a wonderful frame for the whole guitar.

hope you enjoy it

all the best

guitarchie
Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 AM

Default the frets

hi folks,
slowly it comes to it's end. This day it's going to be fretted. Because of the binding round the fretboard all frets must be notched.
I hope my english will be able to descibe these special steps of guitarmaking, but I suppose the following pics speak for theirselves.

like always my best wishes for a little pleasure

all the best

guitarchie
Old 02-05-2018, 07:22 AM

Looking great!
Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 AM

Default soundport

hi folks,

it seems we'll come to the end. The forelast step is the soundport. As you may remember I intended to have a divided Yin-Yang soundport, but Thomas did recommend to have only one and this even as a lockable one.

Therefore that the grain of the sides made such a lot of work for bending but gave also such an impressing looking, he decided to have a remaining suitable piece of the back as a cap for the soundport being holden by two magnets, which he clued inside the sides kept by a kind of wooden cup.
I was totally blown away by this first soundport with a cap and the imagination of such a perfect invisible craftsmanship inside.

hope you like it and still looking forward to the last step, the bridge.

guitarchie
Old 02-09-2018, 01:11 PM

Pretty cool and simple solution...
Old 02-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Default bridge

hi folks,
it comes really to an end. Here the last step before stringing. A unique piece of Macassar with the shape and system of Thomas' bridges.

Next week I'll go to Lüneburg to pick it up and I'm so excited to hear first time it's voice.
I hope to be able to present the pics of the finished piece of art after next week.

all the best

guitarchie
Old 02-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

That guitar is a masterpiece. Innovative solutions with just the right touch of avant garde. I especially like the pinless bridge, but think that could only survive with nylon strings with their lower tension. Anyway, if it plays as good as it looks, it will be superb.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
That guitar is a masterpiece. Innovative solutions with just the right touch of avant garde. I especially like the pinless bridge, but think that could only survive with nylon strings with their lower tension. Anyway, if it plays as good as it looks, it will be superb.
Whoops...my bad. Looks like pinless bridges are used with steel strings...but apparently there are many instances of bulging bridges and other issues.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:00 AM

Simply beautiful!
Old 02-16-2018, 06:05 PM

Default finished

Hi folks,

it was yesterday, when I picked it up in Lüneburg and honestly I have to say that although I've got all these wonderful pics through the building procedure I was blown away by the reality.
It has a kind of royal unknown (ebony) tonewood and all these wonderful details and inlays so I hope you enjoy it in the same manner like me.
The voice has a lot of power, an unbelievable sustain but as you know a voice must be heard not described.

the sides, and it's not so easy to find the soundport

all the best

guitarchie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop