The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Default Midi keyboard for recording audio interface?

Iv been looking through the forums and everyone is talking about these basic 2-4 channel audio interfaces. Apogee is one and Irig also, bunch more.
But Irig has a 25 key keyboard that has two input channels on the keyboard itself. Why not use one of these small midi keyboards with several audio inputs for recording? Whats rad is its in the chain so fire up the keyboard and computer and thats it. Plus you have a keyboard you can back yourself up on and learn a little piano whilst at it all.

This one

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...YaAr62EALw_wcB

Too bad it doesnt also have a record feature on the keyboard itself.
Kinda wondering what folks thought.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
Iv been looking through the forums and everyone is talking about these basic 2-4 channel audio interfaces. Apogee is one and Irig also, bunch more.
But Irig has a 25 key keyboard that has two input channels on the keyboard itself. Why not use one of these small midi keyboards with several audio inputs for recording? Whats rad is its in the chain so fire up the keyboard and computer and thats it. Plus you have a keyboard you can back yourself up on and learn a little piano whilst at it all.

This one

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...YaAr62EALw_wcB

Too bad it doesnt also have a record feature on the keyboard itself.
Kinda wondering what folks thought.
If your interested in being able to input Midi Virtual Instruments sounds into your recordings by physically playing it in on keys as opposed to entering midi notes manually from a virtual keyboard or step sequencer . Then a Midi keyboard is the way to go....I use a Midi keyboard for triggering VI's (Virtual Instruments) in my system But it is an Akai MPK49

The other consideration is what exactly do you think you want to be able to do with it.

That said looks like with this particular unit, it has only one mic input and mic preamp
So you will not be able to record stereo mic's, or two mic at a time

Also be aware that in general the more a manufacture puts into any combo product at any given price point, the lesser the quality/price of individual components will be used So again it depends on exactly what the goals and intended use will be .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-19-2018, 08:55 AM

I don't know anything about the Irig keyboard, but generally, combination gear tends to have less options for monitoring and latency adjustments.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-19-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveform View Post
...Why not use one of these small midi keyboards with several audio inputs for recording?...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
.....looks like with this particular unit, it has only one mic input and mic preamp
So you will not be able to record stereo mic's, or two mic at a time
Right, it's got "Analog Inputs: 1 x XLR-1/4" combo (mic/line), 1 x 1/4"

I think that means, like you say, the same number of inputs as, for example, the Focusrite Scarlett Solo, which is half the expense.... It takes a 1/4" plug OR a mic's XLR plug (in the same 'combo' slot)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...in general the more a manufacture puts into any combo product at any given price point, the lesser the quality/price of individual components will be used ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
....generally, combination gear tends to have less options for monitoring and latency adjustments.
I believe you both. And yeah, latency is kind of the whole idea behind the audio interface. And the quality of the preamp....

But with a "controller keyboard"? This doesn't have any sounds itself, it's got to trigger sounds out of some other program? Jeez, keyboards are so inexpensive these days, get some standalone you can run right into your "basic 2-channel audio interface" and get multitracking!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
But with a "controller keyboard"? This doesn't have any sounds itself, it's got to trigger sounds out of some other program? Jeez, keyboards are so inexpensive these days, get some standalone you can run right into your "basic 2-channel audio interface" and get multitracking!
Actually it does however come with several software programs of sounds
Including Sample Tank and Miroslav Philharmonik
The draw back I see is only one mic channel

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-19-2018, 12:38 PM

Doesn't look like that bad a deal, assuming you want the basic features for both a MIDI controller keyboard and an audio interface. Like most "combination" products, it may not be the best fit if you want more than the basic features for either/both the interface or the keyboard.

Even if you don't really play keyboards, an inexpensive MIDI controller keyboard is a great add-on if you use modern computer recording software. Software like Apple Logic X or even GarageBand comes with tons of interesting sampled virtual instruments.

Even the $50 ones with the 25 small keys beat using a QWERTY keyboard to play the sounds.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 PM

So basically I was planning on getting a 2 channel audio interface like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgKIjvD_BwE

Irig again but it could be anyones. Im not using the midi part at all (hope to) to trigger anything. Just using the usb interface. I thought it would be cool to learn some basic keyboard and help guid me musically. All I wanted was two mics into the keyboard for vocals and guitar, I think that unit has it what some one pointed out is definitely confusing.
Analog Inputs: 1 x XLR-1/4" combo (mic/line), 1 x 1/4"
Analog Outputs: 2 x 1/4" (main out), 1 x 1/8" (headphones)
I think the keyboard is basically that link for the 2 channel audio interface above and a keyboard.

Yea its a lot of data and latency might be an issue. I really need to get my hands on one to see if it is a four channel unit (four separate lines being recorded at the computer end of stuff). The thing is Irig does stuff for guitar recording and I see this advertised as such, but who knows these days. They come with lite versions of the software some one was talking about this previously. Software is another thread, guitar band for this amateur (me).

It would be nice to have a super simple setup for busting out the guitar, playing keyboard, and recording also.

Does anyone happen to know of another small midi keyboard with several analog inputs into the keyboard?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD