The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-25-2017, 03:15 PM

Default My new RainSong P12

So, after a split top on one and a lifting bridge on the other acoustic... I finally broke down and bought a P12 for festivals/outdoor gigs. I was really torn with the new hybrid concert OM1000N2, but I ended up getting an absolutely KILLER deal on the more expensive P12. Enough that on a trade in I was paying the same out the door. I felt I had to do it. And after about 72 hours of playing, I am liking it more and more... and more. What an absolute joy to play. Sounds so big and bright, so much bigger than it's size. The neck is huge, but comfortable. The more I play it the more I am digging it.

I ended up also buying an Alpaca, but that is a toy compared to this little beauty.

I did also like the Cargo, McPherson touring and Journey OF660.

The string height on the OF660s I played was about a mile high... lol. It was a cool guitar and concept but I couldn't get on with the playability as they were setup from the factory. And the intonation was way off. I am sure these are adjustable enough with setup, but I didn't love it that much to take the chance. The Cargo is really cool, plays well and sounds great... this one was a close second to the Rainsongs. In the end I felt it was just a bit to small. The McPherson was actually... unreal. It was my favorite for both tone and playability (I was absolutely FLYING on that neck) just nudging out the Rainsongs... but the price tag was just to high, I liked the P12 almost as much and I got it for a much lower price so the P12 won in the end. And I'm not sad.... lol. I have about 6 outdoor gigs coming up and needed the carbon! lol... I can't wait to hear how this little beauty sounds in the mix through the PA!

Here's a pic of the Alpaca:
Old 07-25-2017, 04:00 PM

Congratulations on your new Rainsong!
The Alpaca looks cool too....
Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 PM

Most excellent purchase!!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 07-25-2017, 04:05 PM

Default Thanks!

The Alpaca is pretty cool actually, and serves a purpose for me. I considered putting a K&K Mini in it (I still may) to gig, but I really needed something I could gig right away. The Alpaca I can take camping with my buddies, use it as a canoe paddle, and not worry. The Rainsong, not so much... lol
Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny5 View Post
...use it as a canoe paddle, and not worry. The Rainsong, not so much... lol
Actually, you can use the Rainsong as a canoe paddle. Seen photos of it being done, on AGF...
Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 PM

Congrats! RainSongs are amazing instruments and I've always wanted to play the P12. Enjoy
Old 07-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

Good decision! Great guitar! Good on you!
Old 07-25-2017, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Great guitar, good to hear you are loving it ! Congrats...
Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the P12 - nice guitar! Enjoy gigging with it!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:34 AM

Default Thx doodz

Had it for a practice last night... my pop is really digging it too! He may end up with one, although he just picked up an older Martin 00XCAE that he is really liking a few months ago... and he has been using that quite a bit at our gigs lately. That Martin is definitely interesting... though it is really only useful plugged in. MMM, well, that's not true... it sounds fine for practicing alone but if we practice together unplugged, not so good... lol.

I have to say one guitar brand we both really REALLY wanted (well... WANT) to try is the Emerald. Or one of the Emerald's. They look really interesting and clearly review well. It's really too bad they don't have anything in a dealer close by, because I feel pretty confident that one of their models would have been in high consideration.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:55 AM

OK, so report after a couple of weeks with it. So I have gigged it 3x since I bought it, here are my thoughts after living with it for gigs:

1) 12 fret... I didn't realize how much I played higher up the neck until I started gigging this short scale 12 fret. Definitely is an adjustment... I sometimes find myself getting a little bit lost looking for that 12th fret if not careful... lol. Also for any songs where I play over the 18th fret I have to play down an octave or change my recorded notes for live playing.

2) The Fishman Prefix sounds pretty good, minus one HUGE flaw... the High e-string volume. The volume on the high E is noticeably lower in volume than all the rest of the strings. To the point where if the mix is high, I may not be able to hear what I'm playing on that string during a lead. Very frustrating... hopefully it's just a saddle adjustment.

3) Battery died mid-gig on the first gig. Luckily it's a quick change system... but it reminded me why I like my K&K so much.

Overall it has some bugs I need to work out, but I am enjoying it. If I had to do it over again I'd probably stay with a 14 fret model.

I am finding the neck a bit more of a struggle to play than my Guild or Kronbauer, but I think I may be confusing it with more of a picking issue... the body is pretty small so I have to reposition myself for really fast runs.

I have been getting a ton of compliments on the tone from my band mates and audience members, so that is a definite plus.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 PM

On my Rainsong P12, I experienced the weak high E string issue after shaving down the bottom of the saddle to achieve lower action.

It's been solved in my case by shooting some compressed air into the saddle slot, then repositioning the under-saddle transducer as well as the saddle. Make sure the transducer mates well with the saddle and that there is no dust (or hair if you have pets) between these surfaces. Volume across all strings is equal now.

Decal fret markers are a good way to help navigate the upper register, I put some on my P12.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
On my Rainsong P12, I experienced the weak high E string issue after shaving down the bottom of the saddle to achieve lower action.

It's been solved in my case by shooting some compressed air into the saddle slot, then repositioning the under-saddle transducer as well as the saddle. Make sure the transducer mates well with the saddle and that there is no dust (or hair if you have pets) between these surfaces. Volume across all strings is equal now.

Decal fret markers are a good way to help navigate the upper register, I put some on my P12.
Good info thanks Res... I definitely will be adjusting and cleaning the saddle. I really like the sound of the pickup minus that high e-string issue.

I have some side markers already but I will brighten them up some with decals.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 AM

Johnny, my prefix system had to be replaced due to a short(in my Shorty, hmmm) that was draining the battery even though I thought the system was off. Fishman and Rainsong were great with support fwiw and swapped out the whole thing at no charge to me.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Johnny, my prefix system had to be replaced due to a short(in my Shorty, hmmm) that was draining the battery even though I thought the system was off. Fishman and Rainsong were great with support fwiw and swapped out the whole thing at no charge to me.
Good to know Dave, thanks... did you go through the dealer you bought from or directly to Rainsong (and/or Fishman)?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber