The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-25-2017, 04:19 AM

Default Pick up question

New to any guitar forum and pretty new to playing guitar.
I have a question and if it's somewhere within the forum I apologize for not finding it.
I have a Seagull Entourage Rustic Burst accoustic. I have been contemplating getting a pick up for it. Not that I am anywhere near ready or wanting to play live anywhere (i.e. Church) yet but think I would like to plug in at home sometimes.

My question is do I get a pickup for it and have it installed under the bridge so it's out of the way and I can plug it in where the strap pin would go or do I try selling my guitar and getting one with built in pick ups? Guitar Center has an Seagull S6 original accoustic/electric on sale. Only problem is the one near me didn't have one is stock so I haven't had a chance to play it to compare sound.
Also, unfortunately I don't have the option of at this time to just buy a new guitar and keep the one I have.
Thank you in advance for your responses and insight.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 AM

If you like your guitar put a pickup in it. If you don't like your guitar then swap it for one with a pickup.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 AM

I've never heard of a Seagull guitar that didn't sound great. Would be cheaper for you to have a pro install a name-brand pickup in your S6.

Dean Markley makes (made?) pickups that just fit into the guitar's soundhole, and sound pretty good. They sell for 35 used around here. An inexpensive first pickup.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. There is not an easy answer to your question. There is a surprising amount of options for you.

I like the advice that was already given. It may be best to have your local music store install whatever they have and know about. But if I had to give you advice to point you in the right direction, I would advise you to check out the line of products by LR Baggs. They have a line of options that cover the spectrum quite well and they are easy to find in stores. The other big name is Fishman. Their options differ quite a bit and they get into image modeling which is a copy of a mic'ed instrument in the studio.

If you can find K&K in a store and someone who can install it, it is very popular here, it is also a good choice. My personal favorite is a very lesser known handmade pickup called the Dazzo. And another similar type that is getting a lot of discussion here lately is called the Trance Amulet which is similar to the Dazzo but with on board preamp and more money. The install procedure may be unfamiliar to most luthiers/techs but they should be a quick study. I do recommend them though.

I am leaving out so much more but there is a lot on the net regarding the different types of acoustic guitar pickups to help guide you on what may be more fitting for your situations and tastes. Come back and ask more specific questions. Their are always people who will have an answer.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-25-2017, 01:17 PM

I appreciate your feedback. I understand I'm beating a dead horse here but like I said I'm Guitar Virgin. I didn't know if it was worth altering my guitar to put a more permanent pick up in vs. sound hole pickup. (but then you got the cord hanging from the sound hole) or just buying a guitar with electronics already in it.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Personally for a 'performance' guitar I prefer built in pickup systems w preamp. These give the best 'live' sound I think for regular gigs in often somewhat noisy places.

I also have a guitar that is handmade and a lovely 'acoustic', this one for minimal impact I put a K&K into and am a fan. Lovely sound and works very well for quieter places.

Have used soundhole pu's in the past but that cord dangling bugs me...greatly.

In your case I think I'd lean to doing a K&K install or something similar. But that depends a little on what your actual playing out plans are.

Modest cost. No loss of originality and you keep a guitar you know and like. As they say my 2c.

Kris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification