The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-14-2017, 10:50 PM

Default TC Helicon Harmony G XT vs Play Acoustic

I have been using my Harmony G XT for a few years now quite happily though it is beginning to develop more small faults, I think internal Power supply related, as it is easy to unplug and reset, though not exactly ideal in live settings.

I was thinking about just replacing it, then saw the Play Acoustic.
I do not need any guitar preamp capacity on what ever I get, as I only use the Harmony XT to listen to my guitar via my volume pedal tuner out - no return.

The biggest reservation I have about the Play acoustic is its larger footprint on my board.

I use 5 different harmony settings depending on the song and it really covers my needs. I use the harmonies sparingly in any case.

I am happy with the sounds I get from the Harmony G XT and wonder if people think the Live Acoustic sound is that much better.

I play mostly solo acoustic covers in restaurants and relaxed outdoor settings.

What do you good peoples think?
1950s/60s Baritone Ukelele K&K
2020 Fender Limited Edition Jazzmaster Pure Vintage
'65 Pickups, & Series/Parallel 4-Way
Fender Supersonic 22" combo

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 05-15-2017, 03:43 AM

It's only a fraction larger than the harmony gtx.

I upgraded a few years ago. Much better options for vocal effects and easier to save presets. Same adaptive tone as you have in the gtx and the reverbs might be similar, however better. But there are more adjustments available to fine tune things. I still only use about 5 presets though much more are available.

Not sure if you plan to use the guitar effects, but the added Bodyrez is rather nice. I have not used the Harmony gtx since I got the Play Acoustic.

Only downfall for you is there is no guitar through. Only dual xlr out. This might be a show stopper for your volume pedal. You can get an adapter however.

In my opinion, it is a much improved option than the Harmony GTX. Tuner is good as well.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 AM

I think the Play Acoustic is a worthy upgrade in almost every respect. All the effects offer fully menu driven customization. The Body Rez effect is worth the price of the upgrade alone.

The only features that is missing, in comparison to the GXT is the 1/4" guitar (thru) output. The Play Acoustic includes only XLR balanced low impedance outputs for vox and guitar. In other words, the Play Acoustic only offers a direct box output. This might be a problem if you were used to bypassing the guitar effects and sending to a standard guitar amplifier.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Thank you for the feedback Dave and Marty. Whatever I get it is only for tuning my vocals by listening to the guitar. I do not need any guitar FX or Guitar through.

My guitar sound and FX, except some occasional boost or compression from my board are handled through my desk / rack unit that sit next to my right hand, as I play seated, mostly in restaurant settings. I also use my Telecaster on occasion for some songs, which the Harmony G XT handles fine.

After the Harmony G XT, I have a Joe Meeks 6Q as an insert on my vocal channel.

Still thinking about the footprint issue also as checking the relative dimensions, the Harmony G XT is 130 x 132 mm compared to the Play Acoustic at 156 x 200mm, nearly double the footprint on my board.

I need to find some demo videos of the Play Acoustic that are not so over the top as most of the promotional videos demonstrate. Most of these demonstrators over-rely on the harmonies for their sound, which to me sounds terrible. My use of vocal effects is very subtle.

Any one know of any good non-TV videos showing the use of the Play Acoustic?

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

Last edited by nrand; 05-15-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

I did look at a few videos before getting the Play Acoustic, after 7 years with the Harmony Gxt. The Play Acoustic has a LOT of options, but not sure how many you'd use. I do use the BodyRez and the options to adjust the guitar tone and harmonies with presets. The harmonies do seem better on the Play Acoustic, but I never felt there was a problem with that with the Gxt. It also has a short duration looper.

I agree that the Play Acoustic is significantly larger than the Gxt. Also, if you find yourself wanting just one output (guitar and vocal, already mixed to your preference), that isn't available with the Play Acoustic (you'll get an XLR to 1/4" cable for the guitar output).

It was the BodyRez that interested me most with the Play Acoustic, but I am finding that I use less BR than I thought I would.

While there are a lot of adjustments available, I find most of that "fussy" and have them set ahead of time and set into a preset... I would not care to mess with the tone, balance, reverb, EQ, BodyRez when playing out.

So - it would be an upgrade. How much of that upgrade you'd use I can't say. I would have been fine staying with the Gxt.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I did look at a few videos before getting the Play Acoustic, after 7 years with the Harmony Gxt. The Play Acoustic has a LOT of options, but not sure how many you'd use. I do use the BodyRez and the options to adjust the guitar tone and harmonies with presets. The harmonies do seem better on the Play Acoustic, but I never felt there was a problem with that with the Gxt. It also has a short duration looper.

I agree that the Play Acoustic is significantly larger than the Gxt. Also, if you find yourself wanting just one output (guitar and vocal, already mixed to your preference), that isn't available with the Play Acoustic (you'll get an XLR to 1/4" cable for the guitar output).

It was the BodyRez that interested me most with the Play Acoustic, but I am finding that I use less BR than I thought I would.

While there are a lot of adjustments available, I find most of that "fussy" and have them set ahead of time and set into a preset... I would not care to mess with the tone, balance, reverb, EQ, BodyRez when playing out.

So - it would be an upgrade. How much of that upgrade you'd use I can't say. I would have been fine staying with the Gxt.

Jim, one clarification. The Play Acoustic will provide a mono mix of guitar and vocal over one balanced (low Z) XLR output.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2017, 09:53 AM

Jim, one other clarification I would add. With the latest software update, that looper is now longer than I would ever use.
I also use the mono output into my Yamaha DBR10. Quick, and easy to adjust playing out using the mix section of the Play Acoustic.
While initially it took some time to dial in my sound, it's there each time I plug in, and now I only need 15 minutes to set up.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:19 PM

Default Harmony GTX

Thank you all for the helpful feedback on this. In the end I decided I am happy enough with the GXT to continue with the same.

Much of what the Live Acoustic offers I control elsewhere, and size and cost are the other issues. Through Pitbull Audio it was well below list.

BTW, No one noticed my GXT failed on Mother's Day apparently, and they booked me in for four more dates yesterday. It is good enough for now.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers
Old 05-17-2017, 03:04 AM

I also upgraded from GXT to Play acoustic and the difference is night and day.

Just so many more options with PA and the editing features make it a box where you can really customise the harmonies to suit your perfectly.

Id not hesitate in trading up, this is agreat investment in yourself.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 06-29-2017, 06:15 AM

I too have a Harmony Gxt and think it sounds excellent for my solo stuff.

I also have a Bodyrez coming and a new line array PA system.. (no effects).

Now I'm second guessing the Bodyrez .... Since I can prob get $100 for my Harmony Gxt and paid $85 for the Bodyrez (can be returned and cost me $5).

Figure for about $60-70 bucks more I can have the 'all in one' - Play Acoustic?

So my question is how easy is the Play Acoustic to dial in?........Frankly I love the simplicity of the Harmony. It really is just plug and play and adjust the volume knobs. Plus the HGXT has the 'guitar through' which is neat.

Lastly on the plus side.. The Play Acoustic has more effects, reverb, chorus etc...

Hmmm....
Old 06-29-2017, 06:54 AM

Default TC Helicon Harmony G XT vs Play Acoustic

Everyone has different needs. I owned the GXT and returned it for the Play Acoustic. Try one first? They are available at music stores.

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-29-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Everyone has different needs. I owned the GXT and returned it for the Play Acoustic. Try one first? They are available at music stores.
Thanks Dave - GC is my go to store. Looks like they no longer carry it.

I do like to try first... But in this case prob have to order it.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Thanks Dave - GC is my go to store. Looks like they no longer carry it.

I do like to try first... But in this case prob have to order it.
Interesting that they don't carry it. Do keep in mind our prior discussion regarding the I/O. The Play Acoustic needs two available XLRs on your mixer/speaker. There is no 1/4" guitar through. They removed that feature form this product. You can sum guitar and voice into a single mono XLR DI, but that makes individual level changes more cumbersome.

However, in my opinion, I found the quality of sound to be an improvement. Specifically, I like the guitar effects, presets, and quality of the vocal harmonies. I don't know how much was re-engineered, but it sounded different to my ears.

Operation will take getting some getting used to. It is software menu driven. If you loop, or want more foot control, I suggest you consider their switch 3 or switch 6 product. All of these items should be available used, if budget is a concern.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:35 AM

have you looked at the play electric?
I do not believe it has a bodyrez but it does have some amp modeling and the guitar direct out.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/comparison/
Old 06-29-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Interesting that they don't carry it. Do keep in mind our prior discussion regarding the I/O. The Play Acoustic needs two available XLRs on your mixer/speaker. There is no 1/4" guitar through. They removed that feature form this product. You can sum guitar and voice into a single mono XLR DI, but that makes individual level changes more cumbersome.

However, in my opinion, I found the quality of sound to be an improvement. Specifically, I like the guitar effects, presets, and quality of the vocal harmonies. I don't know how much was re-engineered, but it sounded different to my ears.

Operation will take getting some getting used to. It is software menu driven. If you loop, or want more foot control, I suggest you consider their switch 3 or switch 6 product. All of these items should be available used, if budget is a concern.
Excellent -- I'm thinking this will be nice upgrade. Since I don't have much in the way of guitar effects at moment. Not that I use much anyway.

Main thing is being able to adjust GUITAR effects Separate from the VOICE. Which you cannot do on the HGXT (unless you use the through), If that makes sense..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification